The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 5, 2018, 05:38 PM   #1
Sturmpanzer

Thoughts/Experience with Ruger Security9??

Seems priced for any old joe, and I trust the brand, but is it really any good? Meaning.. Durability and reliability... I wont put it past any maker to jump into the economy gun market, but is this something anyone would buy and bet on in a bad situation...been really burned by cheap guns before...but, who know's...it's still pretty new...
Old June 5, 2018, 07:33 PM   #2
sigarms228

My concern is how would longer term durability be for someone that plans to shoot it a lot. It could be fine but too early to tell. Ruger did go with aluminum internal frame rather than steel like on their higher priced American model.

Personally I would spend the extra $100 or so and look at the M&P 2.0 Compact instead which also has the option for an external safety or not while the Ruger Security 9 only comes with external operated safety.
Old June 5, 2018, 07:43 PM   #3
WVsig

In order to shoot the Ruger Security 9 to the point of catastrophic failure due to the alum rail system you are going to spend more than 6Xs the cost of the gun on 9mm ammo assuming it goes belly up at 10,000 which I doubt.

Ruger has always been in the economy end of the market. They have always been known for decent quality performance at a low price point. IMHO the Security 9 would make a great truck or bugout bag gun.

That said I would personally opt to pay a $100 more and get a new Gen 3 or used Gen 4 Glock 19.
Old June 5, 2018, 08:14 PM   #4
Corona

For $299, it was hard to resist. And with only about 250 rounds thru it - combination of 124 and 115 grain, brass and aluminum case - it’s hard to forecast longevity. But I will say this...it fits my hand great. It’s no target gun but it’s plenty accurate out to 25 feet. Has a really nice trigger and a short reset. No signs of wear on the frame rails (again, only 250 rounds but it hardly looks shot) and no signs of peening. Easy to field strip, easy to reassemble.

Honestly, I like the Security 9. A lot. I think it’s a lot of pistol for the money.

And it’s a Ruger.
Old June 5, 2018, 08:18 PM   #5
Corona

I should add, it’s always a priority for me to have a pistol with a safety. My personal preference, maybe not yours. And that’s fine.

The safety lever is very small, a little stiff to engage, but my thumb naturally finds it to disengage. I’ve had zero issues with it.
Old June 5, 2018, 10:16 PM   #6
Mosin44az

I actually like the Ruger thumb safety design. You can’t flip it on accidentally, like on recoil, but it’s easy to flip off. I think they placed it far enough back for that reason.
Old June 6, 2018, 08:46 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

[QUOTE=sigarms228;6618444]My concern is how would longer term durability be for someone that plans to shoot it a lot. [QUOTE/]
I'm more worried about someone who plans to shoot a lot and buys this pistol to do it. This is their new entry in the security line. It is meant for security guards who just need a firearm for work. LEO just starting out, people who just want a gun for HD are ancillary markets. Those segments make up a large percentage of the market. IDPA shooters shouldn't be buying this. High volume shooters are a small part of the market.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old June 7, 2018, 07:19 AM   #8
kymasabe

I looked at one a couple months ago, seemed like a decent gun, fit and finish were fine, ergos were good, I just couldn't trust a new gun that didn't have some real life reviews yet, ended up buying a S&W SD9 instead.
Old June 7, 2018, 09:47 AM   #9
railroader

I can see the concern about aluminum in the frame but this isn't their first time doing this. Weren't all the metal framed P series handguns aluminum frames? I haven't heard of issues with them and they made were made for quite a few years.
Old June 7, 2018, 10:52 AM   #10
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroader View Post
I can see the concern about aluminum in the frame but this isn't their first time doing this. Weren't all the metal framed P series handguns aluminum frames? I haven't heard of issues with them and they made were made for quite a few years.
Not sure what they had in the polymer framed P345, but the two I had ran flawlessly for years. I never worried about wearing one out.
Old June 7, 2018, 11:17 AM   #11
Gats Italian

Why would aluminum be cause for concern? There are SIG and Beretta pistols out there with over 100k rounds on their frames. Keep aluminum lubed to prevent galling and the rails will probably go at least 30k rounds at the minimum.
Old June 7, 2018, 12:19 PM   #12
zukiphile

Quote:
Ruger did go with aluminum internal frame rather than steel like on their higher priced American model.
Quote:
IDPA shooters shouldn't be buying this. High volume shooters are a small part of the market.
Quote:
And the P95 had polymer rails and is remarkable for its durability. A Sig 226 has aluminium rails, doesn't it?

My worry would be that Ruger doesn't think all of its too frequently introduced new designs out perfectly and that they will abandon support for it. Corona, your assessment of the trigger is reassuring and I love the placement of the safety.
Old June 7, 2018, 03:09 PM   #13
sigarms228

Quote:
And the P95 had polymer rails and is remarkable for its durability. A Sig 226 has aluminium rails, doesn't it?
Yes but SIG P226 has an anodized frame and a steel locking insert.
Old June 9, 2018, 07:55 PM   #14
bedbugbilly

I haven't had the chance to look/handle one yet.

However, it's like anything that is manufactured. There can be issues or not. I own and have owned a number of Rugers - semis and revolvers. I have never had an issue with any of them and I never worried about it if perhaps something might come up. They have an excellent reputation for service work. While that particular model may not have been out for long, time will certainly tell. From what little i know about that model, it looks like a good affordable pistol that will give good service - if an issue pops up, Ruger will take care of it for you - unlike some of the other manufacturers.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 12, 2018, 04:13 PM   #15
Winny

I have owned one for several months now, and have been carrying one daily for the past month and can say i trust this pistol with my life.

I have shot primarily 115g and 124gr brass but have fed her aluminum and steel ammo as well as +P loads and various defense ammo with absolutely ZERO jams or malfunctions other than the ones I simulate for training purposes (it is my carry gun, after all.)

So far about 750 rounds have made their way down range out of the Security 9 flawlessly.

The ergonomics are lovely, the gun fits my hand like a glove and with the addition of rubber talon grips (a personal preference) and some slight sight adjustments it was ready to carry.

I will say, though, this gun is no "tack-driver." When shot next to my full-sized Ruger SR9, the groups from the Security 9 are noticeably larger. I'm sure this is partially user-error as I've shot well over 5,000 rounds through the SR9 and have trained heavily on the platform.
Old June 12, 2018, 05:05 PM   #16
mr bolo

looks like a great deal for a man on a budget, a decent quality, reliable handgun for defense, it should hold up just fine for the casual shooter

it's cheap enough I would buy one just for testing, but they dont sell them in CA
Old June 14, 2018, 08:39 PM   #17
Carl the Floor Walker

Personally, I am not impressed with the Security 9. Not sure I understand what the gun is actually for. It appears to be a budget gun, but not one for a heavy round count down range.
Take the SR9 series. Now that is a gun that has proven itself over time and built like a tank. Smooth as heck shooter, very mild, very reliable and can handle thousands of rounds down range and keep on trucking. So why the Security 9? It is basically a clone on the LCP ll which imo is not a gun built for many rounds down range, especially with the aluminum sub chassis. I guess if you do not plan on making it a heavy duty gun for a night stand gun then it is ok.

Break down both the SR9 and the Security 9 and tell me what you see. Here is the SR9. Look at the steel inserts at all the stress point etc.

Courtesy of Gunsumer reports
Old June 15, 2018, 02:10 AM   #18
TruthTellers

For a gun that's not even been out for a full year, you can't tell how the durability of it will be, nobody can. The amount of money I've spent in the past few years on guns is silly when you factor in that I haven't had to fire a single shot in self defense.

IMO, unless it's a relatively new Remington or some Ring of Fire pistol, it's going to work.

I've thought about getting the Security 9 because I don't have a compact pistol, but with the Sig P365, I'm gonna wait for more manufacturers to come out with similar pistols. If you have nothing else and can't spend more than $350 for a compact 9mm, by all means, get the Security 9. Ruger is not going to leave you hanging if something goes wrong. To this day, I still trust Ruger to make things right on their dime, but once it's right, I can't say that what they make is better than somebody else.

BTW, I like Ruger A LOT, but I'm not so brand loyal I won't call them as I see them.
Old June 15, 2018, 09:27 AM   #19
Winny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker
Take the SR9 series. Now that is a gun that has proven itself over time and built like a tank. Smooth as heck shooter, very mild, very reliable and can handle thousands of rounds down range and keep on trucking.
I can attest to this. The SR9 has been incredibly reliable for me over the past several years and has had no problem taking a beating on the range, even after thousands of rounds down range.

I own both guns and can tell you side by side, the Security 9 will not hold up like the SR series. The barrel is significantly thinner, the aluminum chassis is likely going to be semi-short lived, there are minor tooling marks on the slide, the gun is not a pageant winner.

Quote:
So why the Security 9?
I think the answer here is pretty straightforward- The Security-9 is incredibly affordable and it works... well. The size is great for carrying, it has Ruger's name and service to back it up, and it's not meant to be a range gun.

The Security-9, IMHO, fills a niche market that has been ignored. That is, a reliable mid sized pistol at a VERY reasonable price. I sent another 250 rounds down range with my Security-9 this week (totaling about 1K rounds since purchase) and have still yet to see a jam, fee, ftf or double feed.

All that said, the gun is still new. Who knows how it'll hold up after a year or two of regular shooting?
Old June 16, 2018, 08:05 PM   #20
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winny View Post
I can attest to this. The SR9 has been incredibly reliable for me over the past several years and has had no problem taking a beating on the range, even after thousands of rounds down range.

I own both guns and can tell you side by side, the Security 9 will not hold up like the SR series. The barrel is significantly thinner, the aluminum chassis is likely going to be semi-short lived, there are minor tooling marks on the slide, the gun is not a pageant winner.

I think the answer here is pretty straightforward- The Security-9 is incredibly affordable and it works... well. The size is great for carrying, it has Ruger's name and service to back it up, and it's not meant to be a range gun.

The Security-9, IMHO, fills a niche market that has been ignored. That is, a reliable mid sized pistol at a VERY reasonable price. I sent another 250 rounds down range with my Security-9 this week (totaling about 1K rounds since purchase) and have still yet to see a jam, fee, ftf or double feed.

All that said, the gun is still new. Who knows how it'll hold up after a year or two of regular shooting?
And I think think the market you are referring to all the thousands of firearm sales to folks that most likely will not fire 200 rounds down range in a year. However, I would guess there have been or there are budget guns out there. I personally do not or will not buy a aluminum chassis fire arm again. Had enough experiences with Ruger LCP's to prove that does not go well for a lot of ammo down range.
I get the impression that Ruger is just making a product like the LCPll, and going to use the same materials and metals (aluminum) as the Security 9.
I believe Ruger is as your say going after a completely different market now with their Semi Auto's. I have a feeling the LC9S will be yet another clone of the LCP ll.
I have been a Ruger fan for years. Sorry, but will keep my SR9C and move on to other better well built guns. The Security 9 does nothing for me. But happy folks that do not shoot often will have a bedside gun. And I do bet the Security 9 is reliable to a point. Just like the LCP's.