The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 7, 2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Mohave-Tec

Buffer tube assembly weight question?

I just asked this same question on one other forum but I just haven't been able to process an answer for this question.
I've got about 30% of the parts needed for my first AR build. I'm going to use a variable/adjustable gas block on an 18 inch barrel. I'm hoping like hell that my pet load for my KelTec and Savage will shoot well in this gun as well; a 60gr VMAX over 25gr Varget at 2.250. I'm trying to find something that makes me warm and fuzzy over choosing a buffer weight for a set up like this but I still haven't been able to process this in my mind. What to do?!
Old June 8, 2013, 12:20 AM   #2
Quentin2

Rifle receiver extension?
Old June 8, 2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Mohave-Tec

Yes.
Old June 8, 2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Quentin2

Then the standard rifle buffer would be the place to start. There's a good chance it will work fine for you.

If you decide to go with the carbine RE, then of course you have lots of choices: standard, H, H2, H3 and 9mm weight buffers.
Old June 8, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Mohave-Tec

I thank you.
I read someplace this morning that if I buy the Standard and don't like it, I can buy the H3 and have all combination of weights to mix and match until I find what I like.
Old June 8, 2013, 04:06 PM   #6
Quentin2

Yes, with a standard weight carbine, not rifle, buffer (3 steel weights) and an H3 (3 tungsten weights) you can push out the roll pins, remove the nylon bumpers and swap one weight to turn them into one H (1 tungsten, 2 steel) and one H2 (2 tungsten, 1 steel). Only problem is they won't be marked right for casual inspection but the weight is all the rifle cares about.