The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 21, 2019, 07:01 AM   #1
keithdog

Mossberg Maverick 88 stock replacement choice.

I recently became the owner of a 12 gauge Maverick 88 with 20 inch barrel for home defense. Knowing ahead of time the LOP for me was a bit too long with the original stock, I am going to replace it with an after market stock. There are two I am considering. The Magpul SGA stock with adjustable but plates, and the ATI Telescopic stock w/pistol grip. We've had a couple ATI stocks for our AR style guns and they always seemed well made and reasonably priced. I've never seen a Magpul SGA stock first hand and can't find one in our local gun shop to try it first hand. Both seem to have their advantages, but the ATI is cheaper in price, and this gun is primarily just for home defense and won't be shot all that often. So, I was hoping there would be a few folks here in the forums who have used both and could share their experiences with me regarding the two stocks, good and bad.
Attached Images
File Type: png GetImage.ashx_83c2ce69-be15-46c6-baf9-787675a2e17f_1024x1024.png (181.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg b.1.10.20002.jpg (25.2 KB, 61 views)
Old June 21, 2019, 07:25 AM   #2
FITASC

How do you know the current stock is too long? Are you very short in stature or have very short arms? The Mossberg/Maverick is designed to fit the average person running about 5-8 to 6' give or take.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 21, 2019, 09:21 AM   #3
JERRYS.

it might have made more sense to buy the right gun for you than it is to buy add-ons/replacement parts that cost as much as the cheaper gun itself. as mentioned above the 88 was designed for the smaller statured people, so if you need some modifications really think twice before you spend anymore money.
Old June 21, 2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Sawing off the existing stock is not rocket science.
And it costs nothing.
Old June 21, 2019, 01:27 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Any synthetic stock will significantly increase the felt recoil. So will that ATI thingy.
Like Bill says, assuming it's wood, cutting the stock to fit you is not rocket science. Needs a mitre box or saw and a roll of masking tape to do it right. Helps if you have a bench mounted belt sander too.
However, an M88 is identical to an M500. Any part made for a 500 will fit an 88.
"...never seen a Magpul SGA stock first hand..." At $109.95, I'm not surprised. That'd be a pricey thing for any shop to have sitting on their shelf.
Old June 21, 2019, 01:33 PM   #6
FITASC

Takes a little more than a miter box - at least if you want to keep the cast, pitch and toe correct.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 21, 2019, 02:10 PM   #7
Blindstitch

Why not hit up Numrich and pick up a used wood stock and cut it to fit. Or the Hogue with the 12 inch length of pull. https://www.hogueinc.com/mossberg-50...orend-12-l-o-p
Old June 21, 2019, 06:30 PM   #8
keithdog

FITASC, I'm barely 5'6" tall with short arms. All I had to do was hold one before I got one and I could easily tell.
JERRYS, IT'S A 200.00 GUN. I'm on a fairly tight budget. All I need is a different stock, nothing more. Not a big investment by any means.
Bill, you ever look at one of these guns? It comes with a hollow synthetic stock.
T. O'Heir. it comes with a synthetic stock already. Not wood.

Last edited by keithdog; June 21, 2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old June 21, 2019, 06:35 PM   #9
keithdog

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/Moss...Action-Shotgun Here is the gun I bought though I didn't pay nearly this much for it.
Old June 21, 2019, 06:43 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

What would prevent you cutting off a synthetic stock?
Old June 21, 2019, 08:50 PM   #11
FITASC

They are hollow and when you cut them off, you may not be able to put a recoil pad on it
Old June 21, 2019, 08:59 PM   #12
idek

I will admit up front that I haven't used either of those exact stocks, but...

...I've got a Magpul stock on a rifle with the exact same spacer and comb setup.

...And, like you, I have used ATI telescoping stocks on rifles.

...As I type this, I have two rifles wearing Magpul stocks in the gun safe, and two ATI rifle stocks collecting dust in the basement.

Based on my experiences, I'd opt for the Magpul stock on a shotgun. It feels more solid to me, and I prefer its grip angle over any vertical pistol grip I've tried. The Magpul stock is probably the heavier of the two stocks (listed at 1.5#) and most likely heavier than the hollow factory stock. That might ease the recoil a little.

If you do choose the Magpul, this might be cheaper than some other places.
https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-s...col_pco=Orphan

Last edited by idek; June 21, 2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old June 21, 2019, 09:34 PM   #13
JERRYS.

the collapsible stock would seem to be better for your needs because it is easier to adjust to get that just right size. federal reduced recoil 00 Buck would be a good load for such a light weight gun.
Old June 21, 2019, 09:57 PM   #14
keithdog

That was kind of my thoughts too for a gun that is not going to be used for hunting or trap shooting. God willing, the only shooting this gun will see will be for training purposes.
Old June 21, 2019, 11:13 PM   #15
Bill DeShivs

You can epoxy wood blocks in the hollow synthetic stock to install a recoil pad.
Old June 23, 2019, 12:26 AM   #16
Blindstitch

$16.50 get the saw out. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/554770A
Old June 23, 2019, 02:22 PM   #17
wild cat mccane

At 14", I would say the LOP of all Mossbergs does NOT fit most people.

13" has never offended anyone.

I think the Mossberg Bantam (12ga) LOP is perfect.
Old June 23, 2019, 02:42 PM   #18
Bill DeShivs

If you buy the wood stock, you can paint it black, so it will look all tactical and stuff.
Old June 25, 2019, 11:10 PM   #19
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Did you get the black or tan version?

If you look at the Mossberg specs---the black version is slightly shorter than the tan one.

If you bought the tan one--maybe the black stock would work better for you.
-------Metallica
Old June 26, 2019, 05:54 AM   #20
keithdog

It's the all black version Omaha.
Old June 26, 2019, 09:57 AM   #21
Siggy-06

I was going to pick up a Maverick 88 recently, but came across a new 870 for $230 online. If you haven’t chosen a new stock yet, check around ebay for a take-off bantam stock.
Old June 26, 2019, 10:25 PM   #22
kymasabe

I"m running the magpul stock on a mossberg 500, and have LOP set at 13 inches, fits great, works great, I feel it's better made than the ATI stuff. I've been very happy with my magpul purchase.
Old June 27, 2019, 12:19 PM   #23
RMcL

Mossberg "adult length" stocks vary considerably...

...from 13.87" to 14.5".

The Maverick 88 series LOP is 14.5" (except for "youth models).

Virtually all fixed stock Model 500 models, synthetic or wood, have a LOP of 13.875" (except youth models).

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/maverick-88/

https://www.mossberg.com/category/series/500/

Remington 870 standard stocks, synthetic or wood, are listed at 14" LOP
Old July 7, 2019, 08:33 AM   #24
keithdog

I've decided to go with the Magpul. It shortens to 12.5 inches according to their website. Where as the ATI colapsable stock at it's shortest length of 13.75 inches according to their web site, isn't that much shorter than the original stock I have now on the Mossberg. And after hearing dozens of folks from here and elsewhere swearing by Magpuls quality, that's what I am going to choose. Thanks everyone for your input. It's much appreciated.