The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 20, 2022, 05:12 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

Record powder lot data in notes?

Seeing several powder storage and degradation postes of late. Got me to thinking. When loading a batch of ammo. Would it be wise to put the powder lot # on the label? Or the powder manufacturer date? I put a label on my power bottles when i buy them. But it might be better to decipher the lot number and put that date on them.

Anyone else doing this, or have a better way?
Old November 20, 2022, 06:39 PM   #2
mehavey

I just changed lots of N-110 in a 350gr cast Bushmaster baselined at 1660fps
The new Lot LabRadar'd at 50fps slower.
Keep track.
Measure.

Last edited by mehavey; November 20, 2022 at 07:18 PM.
Old November 20, 2022, 06:48 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Ohhh, 450 bush is a cool cartridge. Have considered getting an upper more than a few times. Just dont want to have to stock supplies for a new cartridge. Maybe once i get all my current load workup projects done.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; November 20, 2022 at 06:56 PM.
Old November 20, 2022, 07:49 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

I don't put the lot# on the ammo box label; that would be a bit much for me to do. But I can surmise the lot# of the propellant in any given loading I create.

I keep a log of every propellant I buy. The lot#; the date purchased; the date opened; the date exhausted.

In my loading log book, when I exhaust a # of propellant and open a new, that gets noted.

So although the Lot# isn't on the label, I can backtrack and find out.

P.S.: I place a label on every propellant container I buy. On it, I put the date purchased and how much it weighs (in graMs). When I open it, I put the open date on it too. If I have an old empty like container for reference (I usually do), I also put the empty weight on the label - that way, I can weigh the container at any time and surmise the net (by subtracting the empty weight, of course).
Old November 21, 2022, 10:18 AM   #5
Shadow9mm

my thinking was, the lot number is on the bottle. so that would be an easy thing to do while your loading
Old December 1, 2022, 04:02 PM   #6
Bart B.

What is the muzzle velocity difference between two lots of powder in a given load?
Old December 1, 2022, 04:42 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

That is something i dont know yet. Its something i just started keeping track of. But currently all the powder i have was bought about the same time and have matched lot numbers so far.
Old December 1, 2022, 09:05 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

I started tracking lot numbers about 10 years ago.
I had some loads that should have been identical, but were producing dramatically different muzzle velocities.
After a little bit of investigation, I found two open containers of that powder and they had different lot numbers.

I don't recall exactly what the loads were. Nor do I think it matters. But I believe it was 7.62x54R with A4350. (The very powder that was later recalled and did, in fact, go bad on me.)
Old December 1, 2022, 09:37 PM   #9
hdwhit

It would be entirely reasonable to include the powder lot number in your records.
Old December 2, 2022, 02:31 PM   #10
rclark

I don't. And no plans to do so. I am not into precision rifle where I 'think' it would matter most, nor right on the 'edge' of over max powder loads for revolver cartridges. So this is something I just don't think about.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old December 4, 2022, 12:56 PM   #11
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclark View Post
I don't. And no plans to do so. I am not into precision rifle where I 'think' it would matter most, nor right on the 'edge' of over max powder loads for revolver cartridges. So this is something I just don't think about.
I used to, but found because all I reload is handgun calibers, that with the powders I use, velocities and accuracy between lots is virtually non-existent. Or at least so minimal that I don't notice. Seems ambient temps make more difference than lot, especially with the magnums.
Old December 4, 2022, 11:25 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

Quote:
with the powders I use, velocities and accuracy between lots is virtually non-existent. . . . especially with the magnums.
Given your namesake, that would make sense. At least in my experience (I don't load 460 XVR), when you're loading up magnums with magnum-slow powders (W296 etc.), there's little difference from lot to lot.

With faster stuff, I have noticed lot to lot differences. Once I got ahold of some Unique that was spunky! Big difference in behavior compared to the previous # that I had. It had to be more than the 3% canister grade spec. Or so it seemed. Anyway, I adjusted my loadings and it made fine ammo. As a side note, it was during the shortage of '13, so maybe production was hurried, or something. Just a guess.

Moreover, I've noticed differences in density. This is likely due to the propellant drying out over time/use. On multiple occasions, when I got to the end of a cannister of powder and started a new one, I left my hopper setting the same, then weighed the difference. The new is almost always more dense than the old. I've done this experiment with Bullseye, W231, Unique, AA5, HS-6, Power Pistol, and probably others. Knowing this, if I do a work up with a new # of powder, I note it in my loading log. If it's a hot load, that recipe may be a bit too hot by the time that canister is near empty two or three years down the road when the powder is less dense.
Old December 6, 2022, 11:32 AM   #13
Metal god

A couple reasons I could see that helpful. 1) 8# jugs of pistol powder last so long for me it may actually go bad before I’m done with it . 2) If the ammo you are loading is for long term storage . In that case and you hear of a powder recall of same type powder years later . It would be nice to know if that loaded ammo used said recalled powder .

I like Nicks idea of keeping track of powder and dating your reloads . Seems like a reasonable way to back track to know what components are in and given reloads .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 6, 2022, 10:08 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Back-dating would be fine if you tracked powder over time and when a particular canister was consumed.
But if you make the same mistake that I did - opening another canister with a different lot number and ending up with two lots in circulation at the same time - that process goes out the window.
Old December 8, 2022, 01:10 PM   #15
reynolds357

How many lot numbers you gonna track? Powder?Primers? Bullets? Even some brass has lot number.
I don't keep track of any lot number unless it is a load on the tagged edge of high pressure.
Old December 29, 2022, 10:21 PM   #16
Airborne Falcon

I have powder issues at times insomuch as I make big handloading runs so I stock a lot of powder .... usually. Sometimes 200-300 pounds. So yes, I track my purchase dates and lot numbers fairly closely in my journals.

I just recently ran into problems with some Bullseye loaded 9mm from 2008 and some Radway Green RG4895 5.56 and 7.62 I loaded in '99 ... and was able to trace/track both issues back to the powders/lot numbers.

The RG4895 had gone bad in the cases since loading and the Bulleseye had lost some oooomph and dropped from a 2008 chrony number of 1080 fps to around 600 fps ... anyways, stuff happens sometimes.