The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 27, 2020, 03:59 PM   #1
zoo

Lantac milspec AR BCG

Seeing how I’m frequently talking about how great Legend 350 AR uppers are, l thought I should report this issue.

After around 300 rounds of various kinds of factory Winchester and Hornady 350 ammunition through a particular 350 upper, I ran into a problem.

While cleaning the three month old Lantac bcg, I found what appears to be a hairline crack around about a third of the cam pin. One of their gold colored ones with the round heads. I guess bad parts can slip by on any company.

I sincerely doubt the pressures were anything out of the norm.
Old September 27, 2020, 09:14 PM   #2
bfoosh006

Do you happen to have any pictures ?
Old October 12, 2020, 03:02 PM   #3
Sweet Shooter

Are you sure it's a crack. It's not unusual to have cam pins get all sorts of beat up, even the fancy ones.
Old October 19, 2020, 02:45 AM   #4
zoo

Wasn’t a crack best I can tell. More like a scratch or wear. Turns out it is apparently not that unusual. Funny I’ve not noticed that on AR cam pins before though.
Old October 19, 2020, 05:06 AM   #5
stagpanther

That's just your BCG trying to tell you "please don't make us cycle this dog of a cartridge in a gas gun system it doesn't work well in."

Seriously--I've seen this in BCGs before, what I think is going on is that the cam pin body is being scored as the bolt locks/unlocks by the slot where the pin goes through the carrier body. What I think is the cause is that the slot in some carriers' bodies often have what looks like a straight slot cut into it--and then a hole drilled into it offset to effect the bolt locking/unlocking. Sometimes that hole has a sharp edge or burr where it merges into the straight slot and that often corresponds to the scoring in the cam pin.
Old October 21, 2020, 08:26 PM   #6
zoo

SP, frankly the 350L works quite well out of an AR platform but please don’t tell Walmart!