The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old October 10, 1999, 08:47 AM   #1
Fred S

Yesterday after dropping my daughter off for a sleepover at a friend's, my son and I realized, with my wife at a conference, that the men were alone to do what we please. i asked him (he's 7) what do you want to do? he replied "Range!" So we packed up the Remington Viper, The Ar, the 92FS and my P38 along with a bunch of ammo and off we went.

My son can't seem to grasp the concept of sighting down a rifle and no matter what I do can't seem to get him to figure it out. Could be that the viper might nbe too big for him.

So we switched to pistols. I fired the Berretta and I let him him shoot it with only one round in the mag. You should see a 7 year old with that big 92 in his hands.

They had a spinner plate at set up. I was making it spin from 30 feet. My son wanted to try, so I gave him the one round mag and he fired. I noticed he went right over the top of the spinner. I relaized he was not sighting properly, I think putting the dots into a triangle. So I talked him through it and I noticed he was aiming better, he fired and shot the plate right off the shaft! I took him over to a ring target and at 10 feet he put the next three rounds in the 8, 9 and 10 rings! Heewack, he shoots the darn thing better than me!

So methinks its time to get him a nice .22 wheel gun and let him practice practice practice. The 92 is a bit much for a 7 year old.

Another good day doing something "for the children."
Old October 10, 1999, 09:58 AM   #2
Joefo

Fred, Sounds like your son had a good time. I love to hear about the young learning about the good side of firearms. Keep up the good work. My favorite shooting partner is my son. Had him out shooting since he was old enough to hold a gun. It doesn't take much but he can outshoot me now.

joefo