The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 9, 2011, 10:46 AM   #1
ThomasB

.45 SAA What are these Markings?

I have a SAA .45 Colt, that I have verified with Colt as a being a 1st generation that was received by the Government of 24 December 1884. The sn check by phone ($150.00) dis not tell me anything about why this weapon has a 4 6/8" barrel, and is shown in the records as having been a 7.5" originaly as issued. The weapon has a E in three locations; left side just above the large screw small E, just below set screw for the base pin a large E, and a large E on butt below strap screw. Inside loading gate is two digit "10" so I am certain along with the SN 113812 this is a 1st Generation. I have pic but not sure how to post as this is my first time on this forum. Any help would be graet. Thanks
Old June 9, 2011, 11:29 AM   #2
Scorch

Quote:
The sn check by phone ($150.00) dis not tell me anything about why this weapon has a 4 6/8" barrel, and is shown in the records as having been a 7.5" originaly as issued
Your SAA has been rebarreled with a shorter barrel or the barrel was shortened. If it is a factory barrel it will have the barrel markings approximately in the middle of the barrel; if it has been shortened, the markings will be closer to the front of the barrel. If your revolver was returned to the factory and the replacement was done there, it will be noted on a factory letter. If not noted on the factory letter, the replacement was not done at the factory. Many Colt replacement barrels were available from parts houses, so it could be a Colt factory barrel and not be the proper generation barrel. If this concerns you, consult a Colt collector for insight.
Old June 9, 2011, 12:02 PM   #3
ThomasB

SAA 4 6/8 bbl

Colt markings are centered on bbl. Where can I get info examples of various markings .. I know what the DFC is and the P.. both are on the underside of the bbl and cylinder, and the stylized P in the V looking mark on the left side on the trigger guard.. but the tiney 3 above the P; no idea and the E markings. And the Colt info on the bbl is in block w/o the # sign. How do I post pic's to the forum? I'm not really concerned about factopry or non factory cut.. it is a authentic SAA that was carried, that for me is enough. //
Old June 9, 2011, 12:10 PM   #4
Hawg

It was made in 1884. The 10 inside the loading gate is an assembly number. All the major pieces should have the same number somewhere unnoticeable. Like inside the grip frame and the underside of the trigger guard. I don't know what the E's are for.
Old June 9, 2011, 12:55 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I believe the assembly number is only on the gate and on the bottom of the frame, where it is covered by the trigger guard. The reason was that Colt liked to get a nice fit to the gate by polishing it and the frame down together. The numbers made sure the parts got back together after final finishing. The serial number could not be used as it was put on later.

Some folks get upset about the "non-matching" number on the gate, but it was never intended to match the serial number or any part of the serial number.

After those military guns were sold off, many users had all kinds of things done to them - after all, they were just cheap milsurps. One common alteration was to shorten or replace the long barrel. The 4 3/4" (barrel just to the end of the ejector rod housing) has long been a favorite length, notably with John Wayne and me. (That is about all I have in common with the late actor, though.)

Jim

Last edited by James K; June 9, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old June 9, 2011, 02:18 PM   #6
ThomasB

SAA 4 6/8

Thank folks every bit helps. I have a couple Colt references and bot indicate that the loading gate numberss are as you say.. but also indicate the 1st or 2nd Generation along with the SN. 2 diget numbers were all 1st Generation 3 digit 2nd. This weapon has all SN matching, frame, butt, cylinder. I'm not going to try to take grips off as I think they are original and I do not want to crack or break one. The bbl is crowned and with the Proof mark and inspectors initials (DFC) I know it is a Colt bbl. Sure would like to know what the tiney 3 is, and the block letter E. Oh yea it has the name BERT tapped into the butt.. NOT a gunsmith job, not doubt a sharp punch and hammer! and the grips are hand serated with initials TN. Sure wish it could talk! So how do I insert / attach pic's???
Old June 9, 2011, 02:47 PM   #7
ThomasB

Added Info on SAA

Just thought about the bbl markings.. The bbl has Government inspectors initials (DFC) and the P. And the bbl mizzel is crowned. Also; this is a "Late Model 1st Generation" not a Artilery cut down, as the sn is after 24000 and before the 138000.
Old June 9, 2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
So how do I insert / attach pic's???
Now, I'm not supposed to be telling you this (secret, don't you know). OK? And I could get in a loooot of trouble if this gets out. OK? But I'll do it for you just this once, but ya gotta post pictures. OK?

First, download the pictures to something like Photobucket.com so you can link to them and others can see them (make sure you set the folder as public). Open the picture. Reduce the size of the picture to 244 Kb or less and save a copy. Give it a new name so you do not overwrite the original.

Open the picture in Photobucket or wherever you stored it. Copy the direct link to the picture.

Then:
Toolbar at the top of the typing window.
2nd row.
3rd icon from the right. Click. It will open a small window.
Paste the direct link to the picture in the address window.
Click OK.
Type whatever foolishness you want to go along with the picture. We will not read it until after we have dissected the picture anyway.
Click Submit Reply.
Smile to yourself for a job well done.
Old June 9, 2011, 06:34 PM   #9
ThomasB

1SFG big thanks

You are a true gentelman and a scholar!//Mike//