The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 24, 2011, 04:54 PM   #1
john in jax

Antique muzzle Loader shotgun info needed

Hey guys a buddy of mine just inherited a Windsor & Co muzzle loader (percussion cap) shotgun that appears to be very old. It's a family heirloom with some wear, finish-wise, but other than that seems to be in fantastic shape.

We tried Google and got no where so if anyone could help us out with some information or point us in a direction where we could find out more about it we would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
John
Old June 24, 2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Hawg

Remove the barrel and look for proof marks.
Old June 24, 2011, 05:08 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Show pictures.
Old June 24, 2011, 08:08 PM   #4
john in jax

I'm heading over to his house tomorrow and will see what I can find.

Thanks
John
Old June 25, 2011, 08:37 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

If possible put a bore light down the barrel and check for corrosion.
Unlikely it has great value. Double barrell shotguns from England, and other parts of Europe came to the U.S. literally by the boatload. They often/usually were marked with the name of the retail seller in the U.S. so frequently it is difficult to identify the maker. The marks might help, I don't have a reference source for that, maybe others here do. Or you might contact the G.M. Davis gun museum in Claremore, OK and ask the curator. They are very helpful with things like that.
Old June 25, 2011, 09:32 AM   #6
Dave Cole

My wife has one also, and I went through the same research period.I was able to locate a gentleman at our local gunshow that was pretty knowledgable.Her shotgun was probably made around 1840.He said the barrels were made in Belgium, and the gun was assembled in either NY or St.Louis, where many of these guns were built.Apparently as the story goes, settlers used to load shot in one barrel and a slug in the other,so one for hunting small game and the other for protection.Like Rifleman stated they are not worth alot, maybe some if in really good condition and can fire.Ours is not , and found out it was handed down through the family and was carried by wagon train out West by my wifes ancestors.So a great keepsake and a part of history.Dave