The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 28, 1999, 11:13 PM   #1
RadarMan

Dad has a rifle I can remember needing, as he would say, "two men and a boy" to haul around. He e-mailed the info on the barrel but I would like to know more. Can't seem to find much on the internet. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Thanx

Manufactured by Winchester repeating arms New Haven Conn.
Self loading model 351 cal.
Model number 07SL
Has number 48115 (guesss this is serial)

------------------

[This message has been edited by RadarMan (edited April 29, 1999).]
Old April 29, 1999, 05:59 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Radarman:
Your rifle is a takedown model in caliber 351 Win. S.L. 5 or 10 shot detachable box magazine. 20" barrel. Weight is about 8 lbs, open rear sight, bead fron sight. Plain pistol grip stock and forearm. The rifle was made from 1907-1957.

This is an improved model of the 1905 and apparox 58,490 were mfg'd, an estimated value of $500.00 @ 100% desending to $150.00 @ 60% condition.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited April 29, 1999).]
Old April 29, 1999, 09:10 PM   #3
RadarMan

Thank you for your time.
I do have one more question.........
Where is the best place to purchase ammo for this rifle? I am seeing it is classified as obsolete ammo, thus I assume it will be very pricey. Any leads as to a reasonable dealer of obsolete ammunition?
It would be a shame to crate this rifle just because it is not worth a lot of money.

Old April 29, 1999, 09:50 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

RADARMAN:
My knowledge on ammo is near zero. However, Jim may know more about this than I do. Just guessing, but I would imagine it could be made. Sorry I could't help

HJN
Old April 30, 1999, 06:13 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

RADARMAN:
I happened to be browsing an old ammo book and found this information on the 351 Win Ctg.

Introduced in 1907
Type Semi-rimmed, Straight taper
Length 1.90"
Wgt 290 grn
Primer: Boxer, Small rifle

Bullet:
Full Jacket 1850 f.s.
soft Point 1850 f.s
Daimeter .352"

CARTRIDGE CASE
Length 1.38"
Dia. Rim .410"
Base .3805"
Mouth .3805"
Pressure 45,000 lb/sq. in

BORE DIAMETER:
Min .345"
Max .352"

This ctg. was introduced to replace the 35SL as a more powerful round for the improved MOdel 1907 Winchester autoloading rifle. This cartridge has always had a certain popularity with police and guard work. It was used to a very limited extent in Both WWI and WWII by the French. The caliber was discontinued in 1957. However; according to this publication, dated some time back in the late 80's to early 90's, it indicates that the 351 is again being mfg'd by American Companies and also the British.

I found this book back behind a bunch of boxes and stuff. It did not have any cover or identifying marks as to who published it so I am unable to identify the author.

If it is true that American and Brits are making it there shouldn't be to much trouble to get it. If not. maybe the information provided will help you make some.

Harley

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited April 30, 1999).]
Old April 30, 1999, 07:43 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Sorry, RadarMan, I can't find .351 in any current ammo list. The .351 was an upgraded .35 Winchester.

The guns were pretty popular gun with LE, prison guards, and the like, but became obsolete years ago. Some guns were sold to the public. During the riots in DC in '72, I remember seeing, at one Government agency, a GSA guard with an armload of Model 07s handing them out to the other guards. I wanted to try to buy them, but didn't think that was the time to make an offer. I have no idea what happened to them - probably scrapped.

For ammo, best bet is Old Western Scrounger or old hardware and sporting good stores. Maybe it can be made out of something else. I'll check Nonte's book and let you know.
It is a straight case and should be fairly easy to reload, but would have to be kept within narrow limits due to the straight blowback action of that gun.

Jim

Old April 30, 1999, 04:27 PM   #7
RadarMan

Thanks guys,
I have since found some information on the net also. There seems to be some dies available to manufacture this ammo out of a 357 casing but that really is not practical for me as that would entail taking up yet another hobby. Most of the availble ammo I have found so far is running at @ $50.00 for a box of 20. I have an friend here locally in J'ville that has dealt with obsolete ammo. If he comes up with something I will be sure to post it for any who maybe intrested.

------------------

[This message has been edited by RadarMan (edited April 30, 1999).]
Old May 1, 1999, 03:44 PM   #8
Daniel Watters

You may want to try www.ammodepot.com . They have just introduced the .351 WSL as one of their loadings.
Old May 3, 1999, 09:45 AM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

.351 WSL is slightly semi-rimmed. If it comes down to making cases, you can use .357 Maximum cases by turning rim to .410 and cutting an extractor groove. .357 Magnum cases can be used; they will be short, but Nonte said they will work.

Jim
Old May 3, 1999, 11:14 PM   #10
RadarMan

Dan,
Your http://www.ammodepot.com was a good lead. Called them to day on the phone and was told the following.

50 metal jacket..... $35.00
50 soft ............ $40.00

This is far cry from the 20 for $50.00 I started at!! Thanks for all your help, I think I might order a couple of boxes to shoot when I head to vermont in July. Now to let dad know to punch the bore.

------------------