The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 4, 2015, 01:06 AM   #1
jamminjimmy

Texas CHL

Hi, I am new to this site but have a question that I hope someone can answer..... If my Texas drivers license expired does that automatically suspend or revoke my DHL license? And... is there a link that I can check my CHL on the DPS website?
Any help would be greatly appreciated..... thank you
Old September 4, 2015, 01:25 AM   #2
burrhead

DL doesn't have anything to do with a CHL. No requirement to even have a DL. Sorry, don't know about a CHL link on the web site

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old September 4, 2015, 01:38 AM   #3
jamminjimmy

texas chl

awesome, thank you! do you know of a link that I can check if my texas chl is still valid? It has been a while since I carried an I just want to make sure.
thank You
Old September 4, 2015, 06:28 AM   #4
rickyrick

You might call them if you think there's some reason it might not be valid.

There's an expiration date on your license.
Old September 4, 2015, 07:18 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

This may be overthinking the situation, but you have to carry your CHL with a DL or Texas ID for identification. If that identification is expired, then I don't know that it is still considered legally valid identification.

Just go get your DL renewed, LOL.
Old September 4, 2015, 09:40 AM   #6
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
...you have to carry your CHL with a DL or Texas ID for identification. If that identification is expired, then I don't know that it is still considered legally valid identification.
+1. Here's what the law says:
Quote:
GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder’s handgun license.
The statute does not explicitly address expiration, but this does NOT necessarily mean that an expired ID would be considered valid. My hunch is that it would not be considered valid, but I could be wrong; I've never seriously considered allowing my TXDL to expire, CHL notwithstanding, so I've never investigated whether an expired TXDL would satisfy GC §411.205.

JJ, are you asking about this because you're moving out of state? An out-of-state CHL holder is generally expected to follow local laws regarding CCW, rather than the laws of the issuing state. If you're outside of TX, the TX Government Code would not apply and there would be no risk of being detained by a TX peace officer, so you would not need to worry specifically about violating GC §411.205; you would only need to be concerned if you went back to TX, or if local law prohibits a state resident from carrying using an out-of-state CHL (as I understand it, some do, but I can't cite examples).
Old September 4, 2015, 12:09 PM   #7
rickyrick

The CHL expiration is separate from DL.

Check the date.

You must have the CHL on your person if you carry.
Old September 4, 2015, 05:16 PM   #8
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick
The CHL expiration is separate from DL... You must have the CHL on your person if you carry.
Yes.

I went a little too wordy in my previous post.

Here's the short version:
  • Although the expiration dates on the DL and CHL are separate, they are effectively not independent, because TX law requires your TXDL or TX ID card to be carried on your person along with your TX CHL when you're packing in TX.
  • I'm not sure if an expired TXDL would pass muster for this purpose.
  • I suggest calling the DPS if in doubt about any of this, including whether or not a TX CHL is still valid.
  • If carrying outside TX using a TX resident CHL in a state with reciprocity, consult local laws regarding photo ID requirements.
I think that pretty well sums everything up, unless someone has authoritative info regarding whether it's kosher to carry with expired TX ID.
Old September 4, 2015, 09:50 PM   #9
rickyrick

I now have a non resident Texas CHL, no longer have a Texas DL. I also have a ccw from another state that Texas recognizes, but my state doesn't recognize Texas. There are some states that don't recognize my states ccw but does recognize Texas CHL... Just to confuse the issue

But there are three western states that I'm still not covered.
Old September 6, 2015, 04:41 AM   #10
Old Stony

Don't remember where I saw it, but just recently read that Texas now accepts the CHL as a valid ID card. I don't know why you would need a DL to go along with it.
Old September 8, 2015, 10:04 AM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
...just recently read that Texas now accepts the CHL as a valid ID card. I don't know why you would need a DL to go along with it.
Because GC §411.205 says you do when you're packing.