The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 15, 2011, 06:01 PM   #26
fisherman66

Brent, you make it sound so good. This is the stuff I want to try to "cure" a feral pig ham.

Old July 15, 2011, 06:47 PM   #27
phil mcwilliam

I was over in Zimbabwe hunting 3 weeks ago & my mate shot a warthog. Roast warthog is delicious, similar to pork but more flavoursome.
Old July 16, 2011, 12:03 AM   #28
rmocarsky

Gunners,

Some of the game preserves in the NE are advertising that they have "Carolina Hogs."

Does anyone know if a "Carolina Hog" is any different in table fare than wild boar or regular store-bought pork?

Rmocarsky
Old July 16, 2011, 01:07 AM   #29
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Marketing ploy I feel... YMMV...
Brent
Old July 16, 2011, 01:13 AM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Here is what you do for gamey or rank boar pork...

Ya'll ready for this?

EASY!!!

Apple Juice!!!

Injected, marinated, basted and or even mopped (apple sauce).
In my opinion, apple can make any edible, mild feral or domestic pork seem bland or at least very light flavor if used excessively in cooking the meat.

Feel free to still use any and every recipe along with apple methods you wish... I bet apple would make any non-spoiled pork from any pig very much edible.

Like I said... I have never had a complaint from any pig or meat from anyone that admits they eat pork from many tons of 100% feral swine of all breed combinations possible in florida from Ponce deLeons black pigs to Euro/Russian true wild Hunt Club (pre depression) / game ranch (60-80's to present or so) imports to all farm breeds...
Much of this in the form of live pigs from very young to 175#ers, boars and sows, barrows and gilts, prepared by the buddies or buyer

Brent

Last edited by hogdogs; July 16, 2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old July 16, 2011, 01:50 AM   #31
BIG P

Shot & ate a bunch of um Most were piney wood rooters 50 to 90lb man oh man good,300lb in the big pines I just so feed the buzzards them big boars with a couple of years on them little strong for Me
Old July 16, 2011, 06:42 AM   #32
2damnold4this

I've never tried apple juice with wild pork but I have used apple cider vinegar to make marinades and it has always been tasty.
Old July 16, 2011, 12:42 PM   #33
LSnSC

I'll wager those "Carolina Hogs" are ferals trapped and sold to the preserve. South Carolina is closing the loopholes for the transportation of live wild hogs, trying to stop the spread of these vermin. These were destroyng a turf farm. We killed all but one that we fed out for a couple of weeks then bbq'd.

Most "Russians" on preserves are bought from breeders. This pure bred Eurasian sow was like a pet. Her sister was a polar opposite. You couldn't put your hands on her.

Old July 16, 2011, 09:40 PM   #34
BIG P

At camp We take and dig a pitin the ground build a hickory fire for coals. wrap a couple of hams & loins in tin foil with a few can of mixed fruit. put a lite cover of dirt over the coals set the hog in the pit cover it with plywood.GO hunt or mess around awhile, pull off the plywood open the foil pull out the bones & supper is ready tender & juicey
Old July 17, 2011, 10:38 AM   #35
TXGunNut

I sometimes buy domestic pork shoulders or hindquarters to add to wild pork when making sausage. Last boar I killed (200+) smelled better than the domestic pork I used to raise the fat content. I make a pretty awesome Italian sausage, BTW. I think wild pork around here is a bit "redder" than domestic but that could be diet or just my imagination. It's all about diet and sometimes age.
After seeing broken arrow's price list I'm thinking I need to build a safe around my freezer, Brent. When I serve wild pork to guests I sometimes hear what a meal like that costs in a trendy restaurant these days. Pretty amazing.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old July 18, 2011, 08:19 PM   #36
rmocarsky

Hogdogs,

I am not up to snuff with acronyms, what does YMMV mean?

Rmocarsky
Old July 18, 2011, 08:24 PM   #37
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary... aka:Results may differ...
Brent
Old July 18, 2011, 09:00 PM   #38
JACK308

I wish there were alot of thoes feral pigs in wisconsin give me something else to shoot beside waiting for deer season.
Old July 18, 2011, 11:30 PM   #39
Buzzcook

Besides apple, pork works well with all sorts of fruit. I've had it with blueberry, apricot, and mango.

Try braising pork in hard cider and making a sauce from the liquid.
Old July 19, 2011, 12:42 AM   #40
pvt.Long

I like to gut it skin it and smoke it whole slow with garlic, crushed pepper, salt and pepper
Old July 19, 2011, 06:02 AM   #41
rickyrick

I never eat them, but I give them away when I can

However, i have helped a couple of times with domestic pin raised pigs, and i suspect that many feral pigs are cleaner.
Old July 19, 2011, 06:19 AM   #42
RedNeckWino

This one had gone wild from birth but was born a domestic food hog. So lean I have to add grease to cook the bacon but the taste is so much different than store bought pork I can't stand the thought of not killing my own supper. Still had the tusks and not neutered. Not the nasty tangy rotten flavor so many people warned me about. My brother shot a true Russian Sow and the meat was red as beef. The best pig that ever touched my cook wear.

EDIT: Dressed at 850+ pounds.

Old July 19, 2011, 07:10 AM   #43
Saltydog235

Quote:

BS, if that pigs over 450 on the hoof you'd be lucky, that or you're a giant of about 7'6" and 350-400 yourself. I killed a 400-450lb'er last year and he was a bit bigger than that one.

"Carolina Pigs", what the heck is that? SC has made the transport of feral hogs without a permit a crime. If you do have a permit you had better arrive at your destination with a full load that you started with or you're going to answer some questions and pay some fines. Hogs are a huge problem, especially in the coastal plain and lowcountry. Tons of swamps, bogs, bays and thickets to hide and breed in.

Heck my hunt club is over-run. Since last September-October we've probably tallied over 100 by now and I'm not sure we've hit them too hard yet. Standing rule is to shoot any one that you see. You get a nursing sow, you can shoot her and pop the little rodents with a stick. I hate a freaking pig and sorry, but pork chops at the grocery are cheap and plentiful without having to deal with the mess. Besides pig carcasses make great bait for other things plus buzzards need to eat too.

Last edited by Saltydog235; July 19, 2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old July 19, 2011, 11:06 PM   #44
fatwhiteboy

I posted this in another thread but it is relevant...
The pigs I shoot in Central California don't really have a gamey taste. They taste different than store-bought pork but not bad. Where I hunt(King City), the hogs eat a lot of acorns and barley, so they are really quite tastey. I marinate the loins in soy sauce, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, fresh lemon juice, lemon zest and a touch of chili oil. Throw it on a hot grill to sear it then turn down the heat till it is 160 degrees in the middle...

Most of the pig I chunk for sausage. I mix it 45% wild pork, 45% store bought pork and 10% beef trimmings. The Italian, hot links, breakfast, brautwurst and Polish sausages are delicious...
Old July 23, 2011, 02:40 PM   #45
SRH78

Properly cared for, wild pork is great eating.

As for the question about cured hams, I have had the hams of wild hogs cured before and it was the best ham I have ever eaten.
Old July 23, 2011, 06:24 PM   #46
Geezerbiker

You guys are driving me crazy. There are no wild hogs in Oregon and I want to hunt them too. [whining mode off]

Tony
Old August 2, 2011, 08:23 AM   #47
Keg

Quote:
Yes..not even close to 850.......LOL

I will say again....Why eat the big boar pigs..when U can eat the good smaller ones???
Old August 2, 2011, 09:18 AM   #48
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
I will say again....Why eat the big boar pigs..when U can eat the good smaller ones???
I will fix this for ya'...

Q). "I will say again....Why eat the GOOD big boar pigs..when U can eat the good smaller ones???"

A). More good pork to eat...
Brent
Old August 2, 2011, 12:41 PM   #49
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, the only problem we have had with BIG boars is that they are harder to carry.
Old August 2, 2011, 02:00 PM   #50
Saltydog235

Quote:
Yeah, the only problem we have had with BIG boars is that they are harder to carry.
Drag them out with a 4 wheeler. Drug an old boar a mile down a gravel road wide open and all it did was rub a few hairs off his tough ole hide. If he's that tough on the outside, he'll be rank on the inside. Ditch meat.