The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 22, 2020, 10:10 PM   #1
Chaparral

Mossberg MVP Patrol 223

I noticed a little rifle at a gun store today. It is a Mossberg MVP Patrol in 223/5.56. Bolt action that uses an AR mag. I have a Remington 7615 pump 223/5.56 that uses an AR mag. I thought the bolt gun would be a nice addition. Has anyone had any experience with the Mossberg? Anyone know which bullet it likes? With all this AR hating going around I figure maybe the pump and the bolt guns that use the AR mags will be of use someday.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:41 PM   #2
10-96

I had one that I got talked out of- really wish I had it back. All I ever shot through mine was 50gr, 52gr, 55gr, and 60gr V-Max's and, dang, I forgot what that other stuff was. It had a bit of a break-in and settling in period, but it felt great and shot great. Some folks didn't like the way the magazine rattled, but I didn't find it that bad and was a pretty simple magazine lock up system that was durable and didn't collect a lot of dirt, dust, and funk. The stock felt good, the action was fitted well with the stock, and it was free floated well. I thought the trigger was pretty good for a factory non-tinkered with trigger. I really wish I had that one back, but then again, I have a CZ 527 in .223, so it's probably better off in it's new home where it gets shot more.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 23, 2020, 01:02 PM   #3
stagpanther

I have a mossberg patriot in laminated walnut I think it's worth twice what I paid for it--can't speak for their other rifles though.
Old May 23, 2020, 01:40 PM   #4
thegatman

I love my Mossy 223. I use it on chucks. Likes standard .223 55 grain. Picked up some Mossberg mags for it but AR mags work great too.
Old May 24, 2020, 08:44 AM   #5
ballisticxlr

I have the MVP Varmint. They're a gimmick gun. If you don't have a particular need to have the >10rd mag capacity but be limited to STANAG mag length, then pick a different gun. The bedding block is plastic and cracks almost as soon as you buy it. The bores are like 5 miles of carpet bombed dirt road. The chambers are a hot-dog-in-a-hallway kind of situation and the factory wood stocks are never straight. Also, twist off the factory scope bases right away, they bent/broke on my gun the first time I did a barricade match with it and there's a lake of oil under them from the factory.

In my pursuits of getting mine to shoot right I replaced the barrel, scope mounts, recoil lug, trigger, extractor (4 times until I got an aftermarket unit) & detent ball, and stock. Now it has a Columbia River Arms 26" 7 twist barrel and the only things on the rifle that came with it is the receiver and the bolt (minus extractors which I've had to replace 4 times).

If you like to shoot high volume varmints then it's fun but still has too long a throat to do really well with varmint bullets.

Old May 24, 2020, 10:41 AM   #6
stagpanther

Nice looking rig ballistic--is that an MDT chassis? I have a heavy varminter barrel going in on one and I notice that nice balance extension for bipod you have on the oh-so-short forend (my LSS is like that). Where do get that extension?
Old May 24, 2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticxlr View Post
I have the MVP Varmint. They're a gimmick gun. If you don't have a particular need to have the >10rd mag capacity but be limited to STANAG mag length, then pick a different gun. The bedding block is plastic and cracks almost as soon as you buy it. The bores are like 5 miles of carpet bombed dirt road. The chambers are a hot-dog-in-a-hallway kind of situation and the factory wood stocks are never straight. Also, twist off the factory scope bases right away, they bent/broke on my gun the first time I did a barricade match with it and there's a lake of oil under them from the factory.

In my pursuits of getting mine to shoot right I replaced the barrel, scope mounts, recoil lug, trigger, extractor (4 times until I got an aftermarket unit) & detent ball, and stock. Now it has a Columbia River Arms 26" 7 twist barrel and the only things on the rifle that came with it is the receiver and the bolt (minus extractors which I've had to replace 4 times).

If you like to shoot high volume varmints then it's fun but still has too long a throat to do really well with varmint bullets.

I'm guessing you don't like the MVP!
Old May 27, 2020, 07:27 AM   #8
taylorce1

Accuracy Solutions sells a Bipod eXt that I've seen. I don't think that's the one pictured though.
Old May 27, 2020, 07:37 AM   #9
MarkCO

They are a good little rifle. I have one and I shoot it several times a year. The bolt is a little sloppy, but the accuracy is good. Magazine catch is secure. I have used it with a suppressor and it works great in that role as well.

I've shot 50s up through 75s and it does well with all of them out to 200 at least. I've not shot the heavier bullets past 200, but I have shot 50 and 60 grain Ballistic tips to 550 and I was satisfied with their accuracy.

I have about 5K through mine now and no issues with it at all.
Old May 27, 2020, 11:53 AM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Accuracy Solutions sells a Bipod eXt that I've seen. I don't think that's the one pictured though.
Thanks.