The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 22, 2020, 10:04 AM   #1
aarondhgraham

I think I'm going to buy a Hi Point 9mm pistol,,,

I think I'm going to buy a Hi Point 9mm pistol,,,
It's not that I have a need for one,,,
I just have space in the case.

I've owned a Hi point 9mm carbine for several years now,,,
That ugly son-of-a-buck just keeps on shooting.

Using the cheapest ball ammo I can find,,,
It's turned out to be a great range toy.

After I shoot it I give it a quick clean-n-lube at the range,,,
Then it goes back in it's nylon case and lives in the trunk of my car.

I have noticed that the nylon case has an open area that would hold the pistol,,,
Since I can get one from my LGS for right at $150.00 out the door,,,
I think I'll spend some of the money I've amassed lately.

Since I haven't been able to go out for drinks or dinner for two months,,,
I've accumulated several hundred bucks of saved up allowance.

I know it's just my OCD talking me into this purchase,,,
But I do like matching "sets" of things,,,
And it's cheap enough.

It will satisfy the gun-buying Ya-Ya that's been whispering in my ear,,,
And I won't be tapping into my hoarded New Gun Fund.

I could even buy an Uncle Mikes tactical rig for them,,,
And look the part of a true mall ninja at my rifle/pistol club.

I had the idea this morning when I got an e-mail from Hi Point,,,
I'll mull it over for a few days but I think it's a done deal,,,
And I know just the person to give them to in my will.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old May 22, 2020, 11:15 AM   #2
Cheapshooter

My first Hi-Point was a C9 bought strictly out of curiocity. Could they possibly be as bad as the hating gun snobs claim?
I was delighted to find the answer was a resounding NO!
Probably the most accurate 9MM I have. Rock solid reliability as well.
So happy with it I also bought a used Hi-Point JHP. The 45 ACP version of Hi-Point. Same great acuracy, and reliability.
I share your interest in "matching sets" so will probably get a Hi-Point 45 ACP carbine some dwy.
That purchase was pretty much on track until my own OCD stepped up with AR builds! LOL
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 22, 2020, 11:16 AM   #3
CDR_Glock

Well they have a lifetime warranty.

They aren’t pretty but actual owners actually like their HiPoint Pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 22, 2020, 11:40 AM   #4
Forte S+W

Personally, I would sooner explore some of the other inexpensive handguns on the market, particularly Soviet military surplus firearms like the Tokarev T33.
Old May 22, 2020, 11:54 AM   #5
stinkeypete

Try the trigger before you buy. Pick it up, handle it. That’s it... it is what it is and there is nothing much you can do to smooth it up or make it pretty.

I think trying out new guns is a fun part of the hobby.

From my experience, I almost wish I had the hi point carbine I sold back. Almost. I can’t say the same about the pistol.

An extra pound in a carbine... meh, it’s a ranch rifle. Who cares? An extra pound on a pistol is a different story.
Old May 22, 2020, 01:15 PM   #6
defjon

I'd do it!

There's a certain appeal in inexpensive (not cheap) firearms that function.

You could always justify it that you're helping the economy!
Old May 22, 2020, 01:33 PM   #7
JDBerg

A friend of mine back in PA is in his 80’s, ex paratrooper and ex LEO and he.is from that generation who says that $175.00 is still a lot of money to spend for a handgun, and he can routinely shoot the meatball out of a target with one of these. It really is the Indian, and not the bow & arrow, keemosabe!
Old May 22, 2020, 01:48 PM   #8
Drm50

I’d rather spend the $175 on ammo or scope for something I already own. I seem to have been behind the door when they pass out cheap guns that shoot as good, sometimes even better than top shelf target guns. I’m paying $1500 for a new SIG 210 when all I needed was a Hi point. LMAO
Old May 22, 2020, 11:59 PM   #9
Metric

My philosophy on guns like this.

It's not the price of the gun that bothers me. It could very well be worth the price.

It's the ammo. If I'm going to spend hundreds of dollars on ammo for actual shooting, I want to put that ammo through something worthwhile that improves my skill and provides "high quality shooting." The same twenty-five-cent shot out of a high-quality pistol is worth more to me than a twenty-five-cent shot out of something made out of zinc alloy, with crude sights and trigger.

But everyone needs to have their own philosophy.

BTW, it's not hard to get a genuinely high-quality surplus pistol in the low-to-mid $200's, right now.
Old May 23, 2020, 02:07 AM   #10
Ibmikey

I think you should buy one.....everyone needs something to reminisce about always wondering if he did right or wrong. Just think with your stimulus check you could buy at least seven Hi Points and start your own collection.
Old May 23, 2020, 04:03 PM   #11
Prof Young

I've owned two . . .

I've owned two 9mm Hi-point.

The first one had to go back to the shop. It had stove pipe issues. Came back to me after about two weeks with an extra mag and an extra rear sight. It ran like a champ after that. I only sold it when I got a Beretta 92fs.

Second one I got free with a gun range year-long membership. It ran fine, but I sold it off too.

They are great guns for the money. I kinda wish I'd kept one.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 23, 2020, 09:50 PM   #12
mr bolo

with the price of background checks, tax , firearms safety card in my area

it's not worth it, better to buy a higher quality gun than a Hi Point

a SA XD9 is a better choice , better gun for the money
Old May 24, 2020, 11:37 AM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
price of background checks, firearms safety card
Price?
"firearms safety card "? For every gun you buy?
Behind the Iron Curtin? Or just dealer price gouging?
Old May 24, 2020, 11:50 AM   #14
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The same twenty-five-cent shot out of a high-quality pistol is worth more to me than a twenty-five-cent shot out of something made out of zinc alloy, with crude sights and trigger.
Those crude sights, and trigger result in my zinc alloy Hi-Point being one of the most accurate 9 mm handguns I have. That included guns from Beretta, Walther, Glock, Sig, Star, and others!
Hi-Point C9~$139
Range time~$15
Box of cheap 9mm~$10
The look on the face of the guy in the next lane when you're out shooting his expensive pistol~Priceless!
Old May 24, 2020, 11:54 AM   #15
TunnelRat

Quote:
Those crude sights, and trigger result in my zinc alloy Hi-Point being one of the most accurate 9 mm handguns I have.
My guess is that's more to do with the fixed barrel. Blowback designs can be very accurate. One of the tightest groups I ever shot was with a CZ 82.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 24, 2020, 01:19 PM   #16
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
Personally, I would sooner explore some of the other inexpensive handguns on the market, particularly Soviet military surplus firearms like the Tokarev T33.
Those are okay guns, much better materials, much slimmer and easier to carry, but unlike the Hi Point there's no warranty and the ammo will cost double what 9mm does. Also, the triggers are meh and no way to attach a light to them.
Old May 24, 2020, 01:30 PM   #17
TruthTellers

I rented and shot a .40 Hi Point once, I had wanted to try the larger size ones as I've thought about getting the .45. The trigger takes a few mags of getting use to and racking the slide is weird because it will get hung up for no reason and you'll have to do it several times.

Accuracy was fine, sights were fine, and after shooting it I think I said to the guy at the counter that while I wouldn't buy one, that didn't mean I wouldn't trust it for defensive use, it didn't have any malfunctions IIRC.

I would like to see Hi Point make the 9mm in the same size as the .40 and .45 tho for the longer barrel, sight radius, grip and higher capacity magazine and possibly reduced recoil.

As always tho there are better guns available for not much more money. The SR9 is one that comes to mind, those are (or were) running about $250, there are a bunch of single stack 9mm's out there for well under $300 and weigh half as much as the Hi Point does.

That's the major reason I have never bothered with the 9mm Hi Point, just better guns for a little more. The .45 is different tho, there are no other .45 pistols you can get new at the price it sells for. I just wish they'd make a model with a threaded barrel and with how Hi Point is still working on that updated 9mm design that uses different mags that hold more than 10 rds.

That's one reason I'm not buying any Hi Points right now, I get the sense in the next few years they're gonna be updating all their pistols with new mags, carbines too possibly. I hate that the Hi Point pistols and carbines don't use the same mags.
Old May 24, 2020, 01:43 PM   #18
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
I would like to see Hi Point make the 9mm in the same size as the .40 and .45 tho for the longer barrel, sight radius, grip and higher capacity magazine and possibly reduced recoil.
Oh, gawd no!

The .40 and .45 Hi-Points are simply huge, as a result of their construction and blowback operation. I've held them and they feel top-heavy in extremis. They're bigger than my grandfather's old, first-generation electric drill.

The .380 and 9mm Hi-Points are a more reasonable size. I'm not going to rush out to buy one, but I wouldn't get the vapors if someone gave me one.
Jeepaholic
Old May 24, 2020, 02:31 PM   #19
Hal

I'm not too proud to admit,,,,,,I'm a reformed Hi Point basher.

I don't have one - but - -that should be I don't have one - yet.

When the c-word cloud lifts, I plan on picking up a .45 acp Hi Point.

Way too many people - ones that I put high stock in what they say - have done nothing but praise them.
Old May 24, 2020, 05:35 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

Quote:
My guess is that's more to do with the fixed barrel. Blowback designs can be very accurate.
I'm sure that the fixed barrel is the Predominate reason for the accuracy. The trigger, certainly not the horrid thing that the haters claim, but isn't the great feeling boom switch on my Sig P320 either. The sights I find no problem with at all.
Old May 24, 2020, 10:12 PM   #21
pgdion

I have a 9mm Hi Point carbine too I honestly can't find one bad thing to say about it. It's fun and it's solid & reliable.
Old May 25, 2020, 02:38 AM   #22
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Oh, gawd no!

The .40 and .45 Hi-Points are simply huge, as a result of their construction and blowback operation. I've held them and they feel top-heavy in extremis. They're bigger than my grandfather's old, first-generation electric drill.

The .380 and 9mm Hi-Points are a more reasonable size. I'm not going to rush out to buy one, but I wouldn't get the vapors if someone gave me one.
Ah, but you're not thinking it through. Because the 9mm requires less slide mass they'd have to lighten the slide to make it the same weight as the standard 9mm, but be the same size as the .40/.45 slide is, so they'd either have to add some cuts to the slide to reduce the weight or use a different material for the slide entirely, maybe use a cast 7075 Aluminum for the slide instead.
Old May 25, 2020, 07:46 AM   #23
peacefulgary

I've only shot one once several years ago.
I wasn't impressed.
But, hey, it's your money.
Old May 25, 2020, 08:38 AM   #24
osbornk

My first handgun was a Hi-Point C9 and it is the reason I have bought more handguns. My latest "cheap" gun is a SCCY which weighs 15 ounces and has been totally reliable with the same warranty as a Hi-Point. I got it on sale with a $25 rebate so it was a $135 gun. they are normally under $200 and I think they are worth every penny.
Old May 25, 2020, 08:45 AM   #25
TunnelRat

This is a somewhat light hearted but I think fair review of the Hi Point that I’ve posted in the past:

https://youtu.be/flVBPpKG4zA

I don’t have anything against Hi Point. Firearms that are affordable for people of all income brackets are a good thing for the second amendment. I do think the cult following they’ve developed has a tendency at times to exaggerate their attributes, but to an extent that’s true of other makers and their fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk