The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 13, 2020, 11:41 AM   #1
xtriggerman

Mav 88, to 590, to pistol grip/stock mods

About 30 years ago I took this Maverick 88 in on a trade in my gun shop and decided to keep it. I converted it to a 590 when Mossberg made the 590 parts available. Its been a good gun overall but things have come a long way since the punishing mossy cruiser models that I sold in my gunshop back in the 80's.
The 590 is not a good candidate for a pistol grip since the safety location is not readily accessible. So a mod was in order. Also, most pistol grips don't do recoil very well but there is one UTG grip that has the widest over the web contact of all of them and that one makes this a doable option in its self. Then, theres the action bar release button that is dam hard to do an up life move with the top of the thumb.... so another custom mod there as well. Also, I have a bunch of 3" magnum buck shot but its quite punishing so I decided to make my version of a recoiling AR butt stock with an internal stiff recoil spring and over load rubber buffer. On top of my personal gold standard of Pachmyer 1" ventilated recoil pad. Add to the fact this extra heavy mossy barrel weighs in at 8.25 lbs unloaded and bingo, 3" ers run threw it without the punish you for it factor. I'v got a good stock of S&B #1 and #4 buck shot loads so just a good flash light up front and I'm pretty much done for scatter gun HD category.
The original trigger guard was plastic but the 590's are alloy so it was a easy thing to machine in a new safety design.

The new cut channel shows where the detent ball and spring is now located under the roll pin.

Old May 15, 2020, 06:04 AM   #2
darkgael

Nice work.

Pete