The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 5, 2019, 07:53 AM   #1
stagpanther

BLR in 325 WSM??

Caught my fancy--mostly cause I don't know 8mm and don't have a WSM chambered weapon. Plus I like lever actions. My only reservation is my first BLR came with a 7.5 lb trigger pull and I don't feel up to tuning it myself.

thoughts?
Old November 5, 2019, 12:02 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

BLR's are pretty. Generally decent hunting rifles with usually heavy trigger pulls. I find the stock design a poor fit for me when it comes to recoil, my BLR .308 kicks me harder than any of my other ,308s in the same weight range.

On the plus side, the box magazine means you can use any shape of bullet, the action is smooth working the rifle carries well and mounting a scope low center on the receiver is simple.

Spare magazines are virtual unobtainium (at least in the caliber you want, if you need .308 you'll only find .284 and vice versa ) and are priced likewise.

If you want an out of the box sub MOA rifle with a sweet light trigger, I really doubt you'll find it in a BLR.

.325WSM? Ouch!! that one would hit HARD, on BOTH ends!
Old November 5, 2019, 12:13 PM   #3
jmr40

I'm not a fan of either the rifle or cartridge. But if you like them they will certainly kill stuff. It would certainly be different and there is nothing wrong with wanting to be different.

I like traditional lever actions, shooting traditional cartridges. If I'm shooting modern cartridges make mine a bolt gun. It's lighter, more accurate, more rugged, and usually cheaper.

In my opinion Winchester should have gone with 338 caliber instead of 8mm if they wanted something bigger than 300 WSM. Compared to 300 WSM the 325 shoots the same bullet weights to the same speed. And there are simply no good options for aerodynamic 8mm bullets. You get the same velocity and energy at the muzzle, but the 300 pulls away and is hitting harder, and shooting flatter at even 50-100 yards.

Had they gone with 338 WSM there are much better bullet options and the ability to shoot 225-250 gr bullets. I'm still not convinced that would be a better option than 200-220 gr bullets in a 300 WSM, but at least it would look better on paper.

Winston Churchill
Old November 5, 2019, 01:24 PM   #4
stagpanther

My 7mm-08 BLR hits pretty hard, and admittedly technique needs to be "right on" to get good groups. Hmm--maybe have to think more on this--thanks for the useful comments.
Old November 5, 2019, 02:13 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

All the WSM's are magnums in the marketing MBA's minds only. They're one of the many cartridges that really don't do anything better than existing cartridges and can be discontinued at any moment. So, buy as much brass as you can afford when or if you buy the rifle. The whole thing is more about the ammo/brass than the rifle.
Midway lists 4 options for loaded ammo. Three of which are either not in stock or on No Back order or Limited production. And the stuff starts at $56.99 per 20. They list No$ler .325 brass as No Back Order too.
Graf's lists Bertram brass at $29.99 per 20. And No$ler at $83.99 per 50. They currently have no ammo from anybody. 175 grain PCI ammo runs $44.99 per 20 when they have any.
The 7mm WSM seems to have a real following though. Lots of reasonably priced ammo. Graf's shows Winchester 150 grain ammo at $28.99 per 20. They list 10 brand/load options for ammo. Midway lists 11 such options. Brass is more readily available too. None of which matters if there's no rifle. The BLR did come in 7mm WSM though. Discontinued now.
Old November 5, 2019, 05:13 PM   #6
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
All the WSM's are magnums in the marketing MBA's minds only. They're one of the many cartridges that really don't do anything better than existing cartridges and can be discontinued at any moment.
Well it's true that other cartridges can do what the 300 WSM can do. The thing is none of them can do it from a short action rifle. So if you compare a 300 WSM to a 300 Win Mag, it's ho-hum. But if you compare a 300 WSM to its short action competition, the 308 Win, it's another story entirely. The 7WSM was too close to the 270 and is fading, but both the 270 and 300 WSM are doing well.
Old November 5, 2019, 05:35 PM   #7
Rob228

I had a Kimber 8400 (divorce isn't cheap) in .325 WSM, beautiful rifle, but yes it definitely hurt to shoot.

.325 factory ammo is NOT cheap at all, it never really caught on. I do plan to buy the rifle back from my father at some point, but that also means it is finally time to get back into reloading.
Old November 6, 2019, 01:05 AM   #8
stagpanther

From what I can tell--bullet selection is pretty key and ranges are fairly important as there may be frangible/penetration issues. Brass availability does seem to be an issue--and reforming from another caliber isn't just necking up/down from what I've read.

I think I'll pass--thanks for the input.
Old November 6, 2019, 02:35 PM   #9
reynolds357

My experience with BLR is they think they are shotguns shooting 00 buck. That's what their groups look like anyway. I am sure there are some tack driving BLR Rifles out there, but I have never seen one.

The 325 WSM is awesome if you are shooting something that needs hit that hard.
Old November 7, 2019, 11:22 PM   #10
Blue Duck

The newer ones with lightweight receivers may not shoot that great, and I don't know about the 325WSM but the old steel framed BLR's actually usually shot very accurately, on par with many bolt guns.

I have one I have used extensively for over 25 years, and will still shoot into about 2-1/2 to 3" at 200yds. True they need a trigger job, and it takes a good gunsmith to do it. Also, the stocks are too long for most people, I had mine cut down to about 13.5" length of pull. Mine is in .308 win.
Old November 12, 2019, 04:38 PM   #11
Worc

Quote:
natman wrote:Well it's true that other cartridges can do what the 300 WSM can do. The thing is none of them can do it from a short action rifle. So if you compare a 300 WSM to a 300 Win Mag, it's ho-hum. But if you compare a 300 WSM to its short action competition, the 308 Win, it's another story entirely. The 7WSM was too close to the 270 and is fading, but both the 270 and 300 WSM are doing well.
Well said and I agree 100%. The support for the the 7mm WSM and 325 WSM fell fast and remain low with factory loads and models chambered in these rounds.

The 300 WSM won't be going anywhere anytime soon. Both the 300 and 270 WSM still have decent sales and selections.

My brother in law has a custom built bolt gun chambered in 325 WSM. He only hand loads and is the only 325 or 7mm WSM users that I personally know. I know quite a few with 300 and 270 WSM's though.
Old April 26, 2020, 10:08 AM   #12
Vinootz

325wsm lovers out there?

I know necroposts are somewhat taboo but with many folks staying indoors I figure what the heck. Anyway how many still shooting 325wsm? Any good stories, loads or pictures? I got the Browning ABolt mountain titanium and Kimber 8400
SuperAmerica for that cartridge. I like to drum up conversations on the 325 once in a while. Even though it’s kinda died off, I still love shooting them and like playing around with 8mm. I always thought I’d change it to a 300wsm if it realized it’s current fate, but I just haven’t actually done that. I got enough brass for two more new barrels at least. Reloading for it has been easy. I even buy ammo on line for it once in a while in hopes it will encourage it to be carried by
ammo makers. It’s the only oddball cartridge I use and it’s kinda cool. Stay safe everyone.
Old April 26, 2020, 02:05 PM   #13
stagpanther

I started the thread--so it doesn't bother me. ; ) Welcome to the forum. I too have nothing in 8mm and that's what attracted me to this cartridge.
Old April 26, 2020, 05:12 PM   #14
dgludwig

In terms of recoil from a BLR rifle, anybody have an opinion as to how the .325 WSM cartridge compares to the .358 Winchester?
Old April 26, 2020, 05:40 PM   #15
stagpanther

Wish I could tell ya--but dunno.
Old April 27, 2020, 11:19 AM   #16
DaveJames

Never shot the 325, but have shot the BIL's one in 450Marlin, and it will let you know it, stock shape is just wrong for brusiers
Old May 2, 2020, 10:50 AM   #17
ballisticxlr

My .325 A-bolt kicked like a Missouri mule on steroids. Right at the limit of what I could tolerate long enough to get a sight-in. Keep in mind I'm 5'10" and 170lbs so I'm entirely average in build. It killed the hell out of anything I shot with it from little deer to tiny deer to medium size deer. It's entirely too much gun for most deer but it's a fine murderer of elk and moose size stuff or brown bear or black bear. Ballistics are not great for longer range than about 400-500yrds IMHO.

Recoil ~40lbs of free recoil which is right there with a .375H&H Mag. To put that in perspective: A .223rem is about 3lbs. A .243win is about 8lbs. A .308 is about 15lbs. A .30-06 or 7 Rem Mag is around 20lbs. A .338WinMag is about 30lbs. A .458WinMag is about 65lbs. 40lbs is what I consider to be the limit of human tolerability without a brake if you want to shoot enough shots from a bench to get a zero. It kicks hard enough to require your complete attention lest you end up requiring the complete attention of a facial surgeon.
Old May 4, 2020, 12:32 PM   #18
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticxlr View Post
Recoil ~40lbs of free recoil which is right there with a .375H&H Mag. To put that in perspective: A .223rem is about 3lbs. A .243win is about 8lbs. A .308 is about 15lbs. A .30-06 or 7 Rem Mag is around 20lbs. A .338WinMag is about 30lbs.
Something doesn't add up. What you are saying is that a 325 WSM has 40lbs of recoil and a 338 WM has only 30. How exactly does a 325 generate a third more recoil than a 338?
Old May 4, 2020, 04:50 PM   #19
stagpanther

Wow--that's right there with my 338 lapua magnum. Thanks but no thanks.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:18 AM   #20
deadcoyote

I know it’s not a BLR but I was browsing CDNN the other night and they had Winchester model 70’s in .325 wsm on clearance for $599. Don’t know if that’s a good deal or not, just a heads up.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:57 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Something doesn't add up. What you are saying is that a 325 WSM has 40lbs of recoil and a 338 WM has only 30. How exactly does a 325 generate a third more recoil than a 338?
Recoil numbers are only rough approximations, until you specify the load used and the weight of the rifle.

And, even the precise energy numbers only give you a rough idea of what the recoil will feel like. Stock fit to you, and stock design change what recoil feels like.

Cherry pick the loads and the rifles and you can get numbers that while accurate, don't seem to add up. Shoot a 200gr bullet at 2800fps in a .30, .32, or .338 caliber and your raw energy numbers will be the same.

Now, factor in the rifle and it can change, depending on the rifles used.

shoot that .338 from a 9lb rifle, and the .325 from a 7lb rifle and you will get different recoil numbers.

I don't have a .325 WSM, not going to get one, no interest. Learned my lesson on other "proprietary" cartridges. Like the .350 Rem Mag...

My advice is that if you are getting a .325WSM (or already have one) go out (or order in) and buy a closet full of factory ammo. Enough to last your shooting needs for the rest of your life isn't unreasonable. Now, today, while its still "hanging on" and before it becomes virtual "unobtainium".

Forget the cost. That's a one time expense. And cheaper than it will be when the round is dropped by the ammo maker.

.325 WSM is a niche round. Nor is it alone in that, and I expect it to do what most other niche rounds do, enjoy a fair amount of popularity at first, then as time goes on, interest (and new sales) fades. Often to the point where the makers drop production of the guns, and eventually the ammo as well.

Or keep making small amounts of ammo on a "seasonal" basis. SO, stock up, now, while you can. Remember, even the finest rifles aren't worth as much if there's no ammo.
Old May 26, 2020, 01:14 PM   #22
stagpanther

Quote:
I know it’s not a BLR but I was browsing CDNN the other night and they had Winchester model 70’s in .325 wsm on clearance for $599. Don’t know if that’s a good deal or not, just a heads up.
That would be awesome--love the model 70's! CURSES on you! I have too many other projects going on, a couple I wish I could sacrifice for this!
Old May 27, 2020, 07:09 AM   #23
taylorce1

I had a buddy who passed away a couple of years ago who hunted almost exclusively with a .270 and .325 WSM in Abolt Stainless Stalker rifles. I saw him hammer a cow elk here in Colorado, and kill a wolf in Alaska with the .325 WSM.

Both of those rifles were extremely accurate with Federal ammunition that he used almost exclusively as well.
Old May 27, 2020, 09:54 AM   #24
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
Recoil numbers are only rough approximations, until you specify the load used and the weight of the rifle.

And, even the precise energy numbers only give you a rough idea of what the recoil will feel like. Stock fit to you, and stock design change what recoil feels like.

Cherry pick the loads and the rifles and you can get numbers that while accurate, don't seem to add up. Shoot a 200gr bullet at 2800fps in a .30, .32, or .338 caliber and your raw energy numbers will be the same.

Now, factor in the rifle and it can change, depending on the rifles used.

shoot that .338 from a 9lb rifle, and the .325 from a 7lb rifle and you will get different recoil numbers.
I'm well aware of the influence of rifle weight on recoil numbers, and I suspect that the only way a 325 could generate a third more recoil energy than a 338 Mag would be if the 325 rifle was a LOT lighter than the 338 rifle. But that's a significant difference that should have been mentioned but wasn't.
Old May 27, 2020, 11:01 AM   #25
Jim Watson

The BLR IS a rather light rifle. I thought a friend's .308 was kind of a kicker, can't imagine an 8mm (.325) Winchester.