The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 18, 2020, 11:00 AM   #1
Micro man

Short barrel revolver

I own 2 short barrel revolvers, a Ruger LCR 1.85” and a SP101 with a 2.25” barrel. I use commercial ammunition for self defense but wanted to load some practice ammo as well.
I shoot 38 special ammo out of both and wanted to get some tried and true bullet and powder combinations that members use to practice with.

Thanks for your attention.

Micro man
Old May 18, 2020, 11:58 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

A quick powder will provide more consistent, if somewhat lower, velocities than slower powders will. 2.7 grains of Bullseye under a 148-grain wadcutter is the traditional practice load and will work just fine for you in this circumstance. Hodgdon Universal with a 125-grain Hornady XTP or with a 158-grain cast bullet will work well. Look up the specific load ranges on Hodgdon's site. Just keep in mind their test barrel is a 7.7 inch closed-breech barrel, which is about like a 6-inch revolver barrel without a barrel/cylinder gap. So your velocities will be lower.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 18, 2020, 02:57 PM   #3
Paul B.

My carry gun is an S&W M60, 1 7/8" barrel. Practice load is either the Lyman #358156 with gas check, a 158 gr. SWC or #358477, a 150 gr. plain base SWC. Both loads are as accurate as I can shoot and recoil is close enough to the factory self defense load when I carry. Works for me.
Paul B.
Old May 18, 2020, 03:04 PM   #4
DaleA

Just curious. Is your LCR a .38 special or .357 magnum. Same question for your SP101.

Note since you have bought Ruger firearms and that aligns with my opinions of what firearms are best I accept you as an expert in the field of firearms. (Note: if you ever buy a Taurus then I don't even know you.)
Old May 18, 2020, 04:18 PM   #5
Micro man

The LCR is 38 special, I do believe it is rated for +P ammo. The SP 101 is
38/357 and is built like a tank.
Both are very enjoyable to shoot, although I have not tried 357 magnum in the
SP 101.
Old May 20, 2020, 11:49 PM   #6
DaleA

IMhO the Ruger LCR is a very nice revolver it's just that I personally have a little trouble with it. I shot a friends .357 LCR with 158 grain .357 magnum ammunition and I just flat out won't do that again because it really hurts my hand. We fired some 125 grain .357 magnum rounds and I could be persuaded to shoot them again but not very many at one time (like maybe 10 rounds-two cylinders worth).

I still think it's a nifty little gun and very well made and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I bought one it's just that I'd want to use some tamer ammunition. I have not fired the .38 special version of it but I suspect I would be just as impressed with the fit/finish/handling points.
Old May 21, 2020, 04:06 AM   #7
zeke

Might help to know what defensive load/bullet weight you are using. A practice load using the same bullet weight may be closer to the same POI. There can be a surprising difference of poi between a fast 125/115 grain jhp, and a 158 gn jhp/lswhp. May also relate to what bullet weight hits to poa in your revolvers. Am using 158 grainers in my 2 in 638, as they POI=POA in that revolver. Have a 3 in 357 fixed sight S&W that is sighted in for 125 jhp .
Old May 23, 2020, 08:12 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

i would say make sure you stick to the same bullet weight, and try to hit a similar velocity at your defensive rounds give or take a little. Should give you a very similar point of impact so your training is consistent between your range and defensive loads. see what powders are readily available in your local shop, and check the manual to see what your options are.