The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 13, 2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Hilarious

Perhaps you all remember that I like to be able to get the nipples out of my revolvers. I take them out every time I shoot the pistols. I know there are some who think this is excessive but it is just my way.

I got hold of an old pistol in which the nipples were all but welded in place. I ruined two nipple wrenches trying to get them out. The nipples are in good shape but as always I just thought it was very important to be able to get them out.

I thought about it for a while and decided that if I had a nipple wrench fitting for an Impact Wrench I might get them loosened up. So I went to Harbor Fright and picked one up for 6.99. Obviously the Impact Wrench did not come with a nipple wrench bit so I had to make one.

In photo 1, I turned down the half inch stock so that it would fit in a 7/16 socket.

In photo 2, the partially completed bit is inserted in the socket.

In photo 3, I am beginning the operations which would complete the nipple bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wrench 1.jpg (238.8 KB, 188 views)
File Type: jpg Wrench 2.jpg (244.0 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg Wrench 3.jpg (248.8 KB, 174 views)
Old March 13, 2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Hilarious part 2

Okay now we are on the way.

The first photo is the milling of the slot that would engage the shoulders of the nipple.

Photo 2 is the opertion which reduced the diameter of the bit so it would no interfere with any part of the cylinder

Photo 3 is the completd bit sitting in the socket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wrench 5.jpg (237.4 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg Wrench 6.jpg (240.0 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Wrench 7.jpg (243.8 KB, 142 views)
Old March 13, 2010, 05:22 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Hilarious part 3

This photo Shows the bit brazed into the socket and the brazement turned down a bit to make it look nice.

ALL READY TO GO!

I put the cylinder in a vice (Plastic jaws protect the finish)
Put my source of pride on the Impact Wrench
Seated the bit over the first nipple.
Smacked the Impact Wrench with a hammer

And Blooooie....

...with the first and only hammer blow, the newly completed bit splayed out almost into two pieces.

What I had not understood is how soft steel gets when it is raised to a temperature that will melt brass and then not properly heat treated. It was about the hardness of aluminum.

I am glad I can laugh about stuff like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wrench 8.jpg (252.8 KB, 175 views)
Old March 13, 2010, 07:07 PM   #4
kwhi43

I got some out by boiling the cylinder in water for about 15 min.
Old March 13, 2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Old No7

Yup, boiling water ALWAYS gets the attention of my 'nips too!!!

Old No7
Old March 13, 2010, 08:50 PM   #6
zippy13

Doc, just keep saying to yourself, "It's cheaper than therapy."
Old March 13, 2010, 11:37 PM   #7
Hardcase

We're not laughing at you, we're laughing with you!
Old March 14, 2010, 01:01 AM   #8
Doc Hoy

Fellas,

I guess the feeling of foolishness will eventuallly fade away.

It sure was fun making that bit.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:04 AM   #9
Delmar

I am on my second attempt at building a nipple wrench. None of the stores in my area seem to have them. I don't mind paying $6-$10 but $6-$10 plus shipping and handling is a bit much for such a little tool. So on my first attempt I got out an allen wrench and my dremel and went to town. I was able to get out all six nipples on my two 1858s and got out 5 0f 6 from my very old 1851 before I ran into a really tough one that sprung the wrench.

On my second attempt I used the smallest socket, from a dollar store socket set, That would fit over the end of the nipple, and I got out the dremel again. After I got the opening wide enough, I discovered that the hole down the middle of the socket was not deep enough so I took a drill and drilled it out from the back side. The whole job took about 15 minutes and that cheap socket set cost me $4. I'm pretty happy with it. I suspect it might even hold up to a few taps from an impact wrench.

Old March 14, 2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

Del,

My impact wrench came with a few extra bits. I will be trying to shape those into the right size.

I am getting rid of the only cylinder I have in which the nipples are tight.

I had it on the eBay but as I learned, they do not permit cylinders to be listed. eBay wheenies are not even certain about their own rules. They are arbitrary, illogical, applied in a haphazard manner and not well publicized.

It is clear to me that the people with the most power at eBay are the low down, good for nothing, crawl in the dirt, commie, pinko, scared crapless, bloodsucker, useless, piece of crap lawyers.
Old March 14, 2010, 04:23 PM   #11
ClemBert

Quote:
It is clear to me that the people with the most power at eBay are the low down, good for nothing, crawl in the dirt, commie, pinko, scared crapless, bloodsucker, useless, piece of crap lawyers.
You forgot to mention bed wetting.
Old March 14, 2010, 04:30 PM   #12
Doc Hoy

Shooot...!

I didn't forget....I ran out of space.
Old March 14, 2010, 06:13 PM   #13
Delmar

Quote:
My impact wrench came with a few extra bits. I will be trying to shape those into the right size.
The bit I used was 5/32 if that helps. I think you could go + or - 1/16.

Quote:
Dude, I wish you would come out and say what you think.
Old March 14, 2010, 09:52 PM   #14
TXGunNut

Doc and Clem, thanks for telling us how you really feel about E-Bay. I was banned after being linked to my employer after he stiffed them or did something else that offended them.
Back on topic, I think I need a lathe and a mill. Cheaper than therapy, may even be cheaper than a dog. A basic understanding of metallurgy will be helpful, tho. Thanks for the giggles, Doc.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old March 15, 2010, 01:03 AM   #15
olyinaz

Every time I read one of these lathe threads it really gets my goat that I don't have a room or place for something like that in my citified house on my citified lot!

Good reading and keep at it!

Oly
Old March 15, 2010, 05:48 AM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
Every time I read one of these lathe threads it really gets my goat that I don't have a room or place for something like that in my citified house on my citified lot!
You can do it with a Dremel it's just not as pretty.
Old March 15, 2010, 05:58 AM   #17
Delmar

could spend $50 for a Dremel press and do some pretty nice work.

Old March 15, 2010, 10:16 AM   #18
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Those 7X14 lathes at horrible freight don't take up much room at all, run on 110v. Both the mini lathe and mini mill well handle anything you may encounter on a revolver. Barrel diameter can limit what you do with rifle barrels.

Hey Doc, didn't I send you a DVD on heat treating?
Old March 15, 2010, 10:59 AM   #19
Doc Hoy

MCB + 1

I have developed a special relationship with Harbor Freight. Their machines represent an acceptable compromise between quality and price. (I define acceptable as "acceptable to me"). It is probably important to mention that there is a store about eight miles from my door.

I was looking at HF when I bought my 10X22 and wound up with a Grizzly at 400.00 more money (and an inch more lathe) because HF simply could not tell me when they would be getting a lathe in the store. (The deal was only on store stock and not mail ordered stuff.)

I think the jury is still out on whether there is much difference in quality between Chinese machines.

I have the big HF drill press which I love. But I have the biggest Grizzly bench mill which I also love. I haven't used the lathe enough yet to have formed an opinion but so far, I like it.

I have a HF horizontal Band Saw and it works fine. I have a Jet vertical band saw and it is no better than Grizzly or HF for significantly more money. It just looks prettier. (At least it did when it was new.)
Old March 16, 2010, 08:15 AM   #20
pvt.Long

well doc what you got is a very good idea i think dgw has something along those lines. When i first started to read the post i was hopeing for a sucess but inproper heat treatment wil cause failure. I realy like the idea you had and kudos for your thinking outside the box. I have this problem with my rifle and have looked at a ratchet wrench to do the job.
Old March 16, 2010, 08:38 AM   #21
Doc Hoy

Thanks

Pvt. Long,

Thanks for the feedback.

I wish to add one thing. I am one of those guys who takes the nipples out everytime I clean the pistol and I clean the pistol everytime I shoot it. I don't over-tighten the nipples when I put them back in the cylinder. I think this is just part of proper maintenance.

I never rounded off a nipple wrench on any pistol that has been properly maintained.

I believe that failing to clean a pistol properly is "abuse". If nipples get stuck my guess is that in most cases (in every case with which I am personally familiar) the reason is that the pistol was abused. Cutting corners produces junk.

The maintenance of our pistols has to be fun. (To me it is.) Any sailor knows that you spend about five times as much time maintaining a sailboat as you spend sailing the sailboat. It is the same with our pistols.

I have some pre-owned pistols in which the nipples were hard to get out but once I cleaned them up this problem went away. I also have one in which the nipples simply will not come out (which is what prompted me to make my Impact Wrench Nipple Extraction Bit (IWNEB) which was a resounding failure.)

I have not yet tried boiling the cylinder but I think that is probably next.

Okay....I am off the soapbox.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:32 PM   #22
madcratebuilder

Doc, have you checked out the Yahoo user groups for the Chinese machines? Lot of good info on little improvements that you can make that well make a major improvement on the usability of the machines.

I made new brass ways for the lathe that removed all the play, same for the milling machine. Adding 3 axis DRO to the mill was the best thing of all.
Old March 16, 2010, 12:45 PM   #23
Doc Hoy

MCB

Yes.... got hooked up with a couple of users groups. One is for firearms specifically and the other is for (of all things) live steam.

Those forums are every bit is good as this one.

I am still working on a decision to add digital read outs. I bought myself a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for twenty bucks and I really like the thing.

The lathe is brand new and still pretty tight. I just got done cutting a MT3 taper with it using only the compound. (I am too cheap to buy a taper attachment.) It really fits sweet.

The mill is about ten years old but in very good condition. I traded a guy two rifles (Hawken and Kentuckian) and four hundred bucks for the mill plus a raft of tooling and accessories.

Anyway thanks for the "heads-up"
Old March 17, 2010, 07:42 AM   #24
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I am still working on a decision to add digital read outs.
I used to inexpensive ones from Shar's. Bought a cheap readout and made the mounting hardware. It was about $350 for a complete three axis RO and it has made the machine much easier and faster to use. The DRO compensates for the slope in the screws so you can change direction of the bed and not have to remeasure every time you do. I have blue prints for the mounting hardware, PM me if you want a copy.

Belt drive is another big plus. I wired in a reversing switch from a Sieg lathe, makes tapping faster. Next project is a mount for the head that well hold a high speed grinder, sort of a industrial Dremel.
Old March 17, 2010, 03:14 PM   #25
Doc Hoy

MCB

I just bought some 5C collets from Shar. Price was right and the quality seems just fine. They sent a catalog in the box. So they might be a good place for me to start.

Thanks for the heads up.

(I know this thread will eentually get back to black powder shooting....Or else I will get snagged for leading the discussion astray.)