The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 13, 2005, 08:51 AM   #1
Keno311

Problem with S&W 686

I work in a gun shop and I'm having trouble with a 686. It was a new gun when I sold it last week, the man brought it in today and said "This gun won't work" The gun has obviously had many rounds shot through it since last week but I told him I'd get him a new gun anyways.
The hammer will come back all the way but won't release/drop in single or double action. When I swing the cylinder out and push the thumbpiece back it functions properly. I've messed with the internal lock a bit this morning and that doesnt seem to be the problem. Please help! Thanks fellas.
Old July 13, 2005, 12:09 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

Check it for transitional bind

I would check to see if you have transitional bind. The person may have tried to do their own trigger job and shortened the sear too much and is causing the sear to stub on the second notch of the trigger.
Old July 13, 2005, 01:02 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Why tinker?
If sold new, it has a lifetime guarantee. Let S&W figure it out.
Old July 13, 2005, 06:42 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Assuming you don't want to take Jim W's advice and send the gun to S&W,
I think the fact that the gun functions OK when the cylinder is out and the latch pulled back is significant and should help trouble shooting. I think that, for example, rules out the intenal lock mechanism.

First, when you say the hammer won't drop, is it binding and can be forced forward, or is the trigger completely frozen? If the latter, it would seem that something might be preventing the cylinder from indexing properly or preventing the hand from moving up all the way. When the hammer won't release, is the cylinder turning completely to the locked position, or could something be interfering with it, like a lot of dirt or leading at the forcing cone?

It is also possible that the center pin is not coming back far enough, but that should prevent the gun from being cocked at all, and the latch return spring is not powerful enough to bind the hammer if the latch bolt clears at all.

Jim