The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2020, 09:56 AM   #1

.32 caliber load data question

Glad I'm back here. I have a lot of .32 caliber (71 gr.) bullets that need to be reloaded. I want to squeeze them into .32 S&W Long cases but can't find load data for it. I'm using Hodgdon Titegroup, but their website only shows 83 gr. as the lightest one for the Long ctg. The 83 gr. load shows 1.7-2.0 grains of Titegroup. With the 71 gr. bullet being about 15 percent lighter, what adjustments, if any, need to be made to make this work? Finding other powder and/or bullets do not seem to be a viable option at this time. Any thoughts on load data for the lighter bullet? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
Old September 23, 2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Jim Watson

What gun? Something modern?
The 71 gr bullet is meant for .32 ACP which is why you don't see a "recipe" for S&WL.
I would just load at the high end for an 83 gr bullet with the 71 and plink away.
Old September 23, 2020, 10:36 AM   #3

Thanx for your response. It's for a 3" Ruger SP-101. It can handle .327 Federal so it's pretty stout. I just don't wanna stray from published load data w/o asking for advice. And I also have both crimp dies so no problemo there.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
Old September 23, 2020, 03:25 PM   #4
TruthTellers

My Lyman 50th says 2.1 to 2.4gr of Titegroup for use with an 85gr XTP bullet. Since the Berry's is lighter and plated, not jacketed, I'd start at 2.4gr and work up. If you do get a squib, the Berry's are not difficult to remove from the bore.

You're shooting these in a .327 revolver in a .32 S&W L. case. You can go over the max pressure for .32 S&W L. and be okay and with the longer jump to the cone, the pressure is going to drop some due to gas leaking.

You don't want to go way over pressure for the case tho because they're not designed to take it and you don't want to ever shoot these in a .32 S&W or .32 H&R Mag revolver because, while it's likely safe, this is not a published load.

You would be better off using published data and there is data out there for this bullet in the .32 H&R Mag.

Besides that, use a taper crimp BTW. The Berry's don't like roll crimps. I use Trail Boss when I load that Berry's bullet in .32 revolvers and it's a nice load.

And, for liability purposes only

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Last edited by TruthTellers; September 23, 2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old September 24, 2020, 10:16 AM   #5
GarrettJ

There's a 75 gr. lead load on the MD Smith .32 SW-L webpage.
Old September 26, 2020, 11:07 PM   #6
P Flados

I have loaded a lot of "non-standard" light bullets in 327 cases for my 4.2" Ruger SP-101.

I use Promo (Red Dot equivalent) and Titegroup.

If you use 327 cases, you eliminate the jump from the end of the case to the cylinder throat.

Using 327 cases also eliminates any worries about needing to stay below the S&W long pressure rating.

For TG with a PC coated version of my custom 55 gr cast bullet, I did a workup with a chrony. I started at 3.1 gr (800 fps) and worked up to 5.5 gr (1450 fps). I shot a lot (many hundreds) of BLL coated versions of this boolit at 3.1 grs as any hotter caused leading.

For your 71 gr bullets, 1000 fps is about where a 32 ACP would max out. Based on Quickload, it takes 2.75 gr of TG for this speed in a S&W long case and around 3.0 gr in a 327 case.

Note also that my powder measure does good with TG down to about 2.5 grs. Any less and I would resort to scooping.
Old September 28, 2020, 01:46 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

This was discussed on these pages in 2016. And many other times.
Before Reloader's Nest shut down(sniff. It was a fabulous site.) there was a 71 grain jacketed Bullseye load listed. Same as GarrettJ's MD Smith 75 grain data(a few grains won't matter, but 13 is too much. The percentage difference is irrelevant.). 3.0 Max. Reduce by 10% for the Start load.