The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2010, 04:05 PM   #1
enstorm

RCBS Seating Die problem

I have reloaded for several years. Recently began using RCBS x dies for 223 and 30'06 and the seating dies that come with the sets are extremely finicky at the crimp stage. These dies require very little downward adjustment to get a crimp, so little that with certain bullets I cannot use the dies for crimping at all -- the cases squish out at the shoulder before a crimp sets in, as if the crimper is catching the case mouth and just pushing it straight down. Example is 55 grain ballistic silvertips and 168 gn sierra (I believe-- a gift) match bullets. I seat these w/o a crimp and then use a lee fc die to do the rest. Puzzling because 55 gn win fmjs and 150 gn hornady fmjs will crimp fine. What's up with this?
Old January 11, 2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Shoney

That is a common problem when the bullet is still moving down while the crimp is being applied. Try seating and crimping in seperate operations. Oe you may want to adjust the die up a bit.

Before you start adding powder and seating , camphor the mouth of each case. This will insure easy movement of the bullet.

If you are loading for a bolt weapon, the sizing of the neck will supply all the force necessary to hold the bullet in place without a crimp. If loading for a gas gun, then the seperate seat/crimp will give best results,

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old January 12, 2010, 09:57 PM   #3
wncchester

It ain't the dies, it's the cases. All dies are "finicky" when crimping if the case lengths aren't consistant. At least with all but Lee's collet crimpers and it's best for cases be the same length with them too.
Old January 13, 2010, 01:20 AM   #4
reloader28

Are you sure its not because of the bullet.
According to my book the 168gr Sierras's dont have a cannular for crimping.
I dont crimp rifle bullets at all, especially without a cannular so I dont know what it does.

Last edited by reloader28; January 13, 2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old January 13, 2010, 06:39 PM   #5
enstorm

It definitely isn't the trim to length being inconsistent, I trim and measure all of the cases. The 168s dont have cannelures. I have had some bullets crimp fine with cannelures and without, others no way, had to do it in a separate stage.