The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 25, 2009, 07:51 PM   #1
bsheets20061

need info on an arizmendi revolver

I have an arizmendi revolver in 32-20, and I know nothing about it and the history of arizmendi any information would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old April 25, 2009, 07:52 PM   #2
bsheets20061

pic of the revolver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pistol pics rifle 004.JPG (141.8 KB, 159 views)
Old April 25, 2009, 08:11 PM   #3
Jim Watson

It is obviously one of the many Spanish copies of the Smith & Wesson Military and Police revolver. Yours looks in better condition than most that turn up these days, but it is still not made of the best materials.

All I could find is that Arizmendi was one of the multitude of small to medium gun companies in Eibar Spain from the early 20th century. One post said they lasted until about 1970, but this gun is much older. Probably made in the 1920s.

I do not have a solid source on it, but I have read that various Spanish makers turned out 8mm Lebel revolvers for the French in addition to the multitude of "Ruby" .32 automatics they contracted for in WW I. And that it was just a matter of grinding a .32-20 chamber reamer to get use out of barrels and tooling on guns to be sold in the Americas after the war.
Old April 26, 2009, 02:12 PM   #4
bsheets20061

awesome thank you for the information, would you happen to have any idea of there value by any chance?
Old April 26, 2009, 10:17 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those revolvers have little value, and when they are sold it is usually for around $50.

Most gun shops won't take them in trade or sell them since so many have blown up and the liability concerns would be too great. I have seen several of those Spanish revolvers blow up, one while firing a blank cartridge, though I don't know that any were by that maker.

Most of those guns were made of cheap cast iron and IMHO are not safe to fire. I recommend deactivating that gun and making it a wall hanger before you get an unpleasant surprise.

Jim
Old April 27, 2009, 08:21 PM   #6
bsheets20061

Its no colt but it doesn't seem to be too cheaply made I have put 200 rounds down the barrel since I have owned it and my uncle countless rounds I would expect, never any problems yet, but with the cost of ammo the way it is I think I will be shooting it alot less these days, just the occasional boredom shoot ...
Old May 10, 2009, 01:38 PM   #7
TEDDY

32/20 spanish

your "maybe" have a good one but 32/20 is not some thing to test. I had a S&W that blew because a 32/20 rifle rd was used.and I saw a lot of the spanish which were sold in south that cracked the frame.I also have a 38 long spanish.I should have been more alert but the $30 price blinded me till I looked at the side plate and there was not one,a light went on then.but I shoot it with target loads 38spec fits 38 long.and it is very accurate.
amazing.
Old May 10, 2009, 10:17 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Some of those guns will probably be shooting long after we are all gone. But that does not make them either high quality or safe. The one that blew up with a blank had been fired at least 200 times with standard pressure .38 Special, yet it let go when the owner was using it as a starter pistol at a high school track meet. No one injured, fortunately, but the top strap and pieces of the cylinder went flying.

On guns like that, it is not the last round that could be dangerous, it is the next.

Jim
Old September 10, 2009, 07:48 PM   #9
gyvel

F. Arizmendi was one of the older manufacturers of firearms in Spain and, in general, guns made by them are definitely of superior quality compared to many other Spanish manufacturers. Arizmendi made Bodeo revolvers under for the italian government during WWI and they usually show superior workmanship that comparable Italian made guns.

Arizmendi did, in fact, last until 1970, and sold guns under the "Fast" brand name (among others) as well as the "LUR Panzer," a copy of the Erma AP22 pistol.
Old September 10, 2009, 10:37 PM   #10
RJay

My references show that Francisco Arizmendi did not survive past the Spanish civil war. Perhaps there was another F. Arizmendi?