The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2001, 07:13 PM   #1
CoyDog

Short Brass??

I'm preparing some once fired Federal factory brass for reloading in 375 H&H, and after sizing I found that about half of these cases measure 2.830 or less. Max is 2.850, and the recommended trim length is 2.840.

Is there a danger of increasing pressure from loading brass that short? I'd appreciate any input on this problem.

Thanks, CoyDog
Old August 14, 2001, 07:30 PM   #2
zot

I'd measure from shoulder to base, if that is short you'd have trouble,I think the case would stretch back after one loading and
shot,load bullets out closer to lands or alot of gas blow by, just
my thoughts.
Old August 14, 2001, 09:51 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I doubt there is any danger.

As far as seating depth, I'd check the book's recommendation as to cannelured bullets and the crimp--that's pretty important for the heavy bullet and that amount of recoil.

Ten-thousandths isn't that much, and I'm guessing that the shape of the H&H case would mean a bit more stretch, anyway...A self-healing problem.

What I *would* watch for, after a few reloads, is case stretch back toward the case-head. Watch for any sign of incipient separation-failure. No big deal; just a standard precaution.

FWIW, Art
Old August 15, 2001, 10:03 AM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

- - - And once you have fired the cases, you might want to back 0ut the sizing die about a half-turn, so you don't size the shoulder back excessively. Neck and practically the whole case body is hereby sized jus enough, without over-working the brass. Of course, this applies only for the rifle in which the brass was originally fired. In another chamber, these loads MIGHT not function well.

Best,
Johnny
Old August 15, 2001, 03:04 PM   #5
Chris McDermott

It's long brass that causes problems; that's why when you buy brass and measure it it's almost always shorter than the "trim to" length. The manufacturer's setup the machinery to make sure the brass won't be dangerous, no matter how tight your chamber may be.
Old August 15, 2001, 05:16 PM   #6
yankytrash

If max is 2.85, and trim-to is 2.84, I ALWAYS go another hundredth to avoid chambering problems. I never know if the next gun I shoot any given load from will be from a match-grade rifle, a forgiving combloc assault rifle, or a big pistol.

I've been using that technique for awhile now. Never had a problem. Load on...
Old August 16, 2001, 09:09 PM   #7
CoyDog

Thanks for all the responses. I have been handloading for a year and am still in the "follow instructions exactly" stage. Pretty danged hard to trim at 2.840 when the cases aren't that long .

My Lee Factory Crimp Die won't crimp very well with 2.830 brass, so I settled on 2.835 since about 2/3 of my cases were that long.
Good Shooting, CoyDog