The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 30, 2017, 04:42 PM   #1
CalmerThanYou

1955 Colt Huntsman 22 LR Pistol

I have the opportunity to purchase the above mentioned pistol. I do not own any, or have much knowledge of older guns. Is this model something I should consider as a starter into the vintage gun market? I like the idea of having a vintage plinker. Described as 62 years old and having a 4.5 inch barrel. Looks like excellent condition in the photograph. Any opinion on a decent price? Thanks, Jeff
Old May 30, 2017, 10:33 PM   #2
CalmerThanYou

Just how far north is this corral?

In the time it took to get zero replies, I researched and found out the gun to be not rare but generally well regarded. Probably shoot the guy a low offer and see.
Old May 31, 2017, 09:52 AM   #3
Ricklin

I do love me some old Colt's. Condition is everything, but given the choice I'd rather have a 1955 gun than a 2015 model.

When we look at the big picture hand held firearms have really changed very little over the past 50-75 years.

Lots of plastic fantastic, I'll take blued steel and walnut thank you very much.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:21 AM   #4
RickB

'55 was a transitional year for Colt.
The company had reorganized in the late '40s, and for a brief time pistols were rollmarked COLT'S MFG. CO. INC. rather than the COLT'S PAT. F.A. that they had used before, and since.
That was also the year that the early post-war Coltmaster adjustable rear sight was replaced by the Accro, and when Colt redesigned the Woodsman/Huntsman into the "Mark III" which reverted to the heel-style mag release from the Luger/1911-style pushbutton of the Mk. II.
So, a '55 might be an interesting combination of features.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:29 AM   #5
CalmerThanYou

$500 ask seems high.....but it does look super clean in the pic. I was thinking $300?
Old May 31, 2017, 05:08 PM   #6
RickB

The worst that can happen is they'll say no.
There are a lot of Huntsmen on gunbroker, and those with asking prices above $300 have no bids, so your offer would be reasonable.
In comparison to, say, a Ruger Mk. III or equivalent new gun, I'd be willing to pay at least as much for the Colt.
Old May 31, 2017, 07:11 PM   #7
CalmerThanYou

Thanks, I agree....Will give him a text this evening, and we shall see.
Old June 3, 2017, 12:12 PM   #8
reddog81

Any luck with the Colt. I'm guessing he said no to the $300 offer. That would be a great price. I'd say $450 would be a reasonable price for a real clean Huntsman.