The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 20, 2013, 07:06 PM   #26
JWT

No one needs to know how many, if any, guns I own. The same group that worries about invasion of privacy in everything else seems to think the opposite when it comes to guns. Don't ask, don't tell.

People scream about criminals getting guns, but want to advertise where they can find some to steal.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:08 PM   #27

I hope they dont post that sometimes my socks dont match. Dont want anyone breaking in and stealing the matching sets. Seriously people? That paranoid about legal prescribed narcotics to patients in horrible pain?
Old January 20, 2013, 07:13 PM   #28
cen

JWT, I totally agree that NOBODY need to or has the right to know if and what firearms i own. But in our unpredictable society if these whack jobs somehow passed a law that every firearm I buy from NOW ON( if they don't already know what I have) would have to be in some kind of database.. It would not stop me from buying firearms like I normally do.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:14 PM   #29
Pahoo

I'm happy for you

cen said;
Quote:
I just really don't see that as a major problem.
Well, I'm happy for you but you know better than to ask a question like this. I am suspect of your agenda and point of departure. ....

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but it's just that. Personally I am pretty much a private and protective person but if you choose to be open about your personal life, then I'm okay with that. Perhaps you may even want to post it on FaceBook? ....

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old January 20, 2013, 07:18 PM   #30
cen

PAHOO, glad your happy for me... I have no agenda. Please read my previous post. I would just give a little to keep what we have. Very sorry if your not, or if it terrifies some people.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:19 PM   #31
pnac

Quote:
I hope they dont post that sometimes my socks dont match. Dont want anyone breaking in and stealing the matching sets. Seriously people? That paranoid about legal prescribed narcotics to patients in horrible pain?

As long as the narcotics "are properly secured ie( in a safe, vault, hidden), why would you worry that they would find them?"

Sounds like a valid comparison to me, they are both highly sought after by criminals.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old January 20, 2013, 07:30 PM   #32

I would think ANYTHING is valueable to a thief. Thats why they are thieves. Ever heard of a thief breaking into a house and taking nothing? Or maybe hes gonna risk a felony and jail time because hes picky. Really? I break into someones house im takin something. If not for the "rush alone".
Old January 20, 2013, 07:41 PM   #33
cen

My initial post was not to start a discussion on home burglary. By the way guns rank any where from 6-8 on the top 10 items stolen in a home burglary according to the top insurance companies. I would imagine because we hopefully don't leave our Glocks lying on the dining room table.
Old January 20, 2013, 07:48 PM   #34

I apologize cen. The thread did get hijacked. Getting back to the thread. I dont care who knows i have guns. I open carry on my property just to let the neighbors know, if the try to get in my house, they are getting creased.

Last edited by 318; January 20, 2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Cant spell
Old January 20, 2013, 08:04 PM   #35
MLeake

cen and 318, if you guys are serious, you really need to rethink your positons. People have already had guns (specifically, guns) stolen from homes that were identified as having guns by the newspaper in Westchester County, NY. Thefts have been reported.

Guns are one of the most prized targets of burglars. (Edit: cen, you say guns are 6-8 of the top ten on insured stolen items lists like it is no big deal, since they are not in the top three. We are talking among the top ten... How many categories of item are NOT in the top ten? 8 of 10, total, would be pretty good. 8 of 350 would be horrible. Also, if only around half of households have guns, double the effective theft rate as compared to more common items.)

As far as safes go, they will protect against the methhead amateur who breaks into your house, but he is probably after cash, jewelry, and electronics. A skilled burglar will only be delayed, not stopped, by even a good safe.

I have a Sturdy Safe. Weighs about 1000lbs. It is made from 7 and 8 gauge steel, whereas many brands are 11 or 12 gauge. I paid for a few upgrades, to include stainless steel around the lock (to protect against cutting torches) and a ball-bearing loaded plate around the combo lock (to protect against drills). I also paid for ceramic fireproofing.

IE, my safe is much tougher and better built than the vast majority of popular safes. Even so, I expect it would take a skilled burglar with good tools (some of which he might steal from my garage) no more than twenty or thirty minutes to break into it.

There have been reports by people who test security gear that an 11 gauge steel safe can be easily penetrated by a fire axe.

Do not put so much faith into how scared of your guns a thief may be, nor how secure your safe is.

Note: My old safe was not as good, but the one time I was burglarized, it was not by a pro. Someone kicked in the back door, and stole an XBox, a flat screen TV, and a laptop. Suspect a druggie or a teen. First question from responding police: "Were any guns stolen?"

It did not appear the thieves went farther than the living room or bedroom. But what if my home had been listed as having guns?

Last edited by MLeake; January 20, 2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:41 PM   #36
cen

Ok, let me simplify it.

If after the smoke clears and some anti-gun legislator had their way and passed a law that said " From this day forward, anyone who purchases a firearm must register with ( insert agency's name) and that agency can make it public record that you bought and own it" , it would not deter me from buying a gun!

Are you telling me that if something like this was passed, you'd never buy another gun? That's all I'm saying. If I was forced, by law, to divulge my name and even address to continue to purchase firearms... I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd do it. I think there are even odds whether they would say " let's rob this guy" or " we better leave this guy alone" because he has a gun. Sure they might "stake out" the house and do it all professionally when your not home.

I totally agree that it would be stupid for the govt to do something like this, for the reasons you give about alerting the thieves. But a big reason I own them is to protect myself in a situation like that, ( God forbid). I seriously would not lose any sleep at all.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:51 PM   #37
lefteye

Decisions of the Supreme Court of the United States hold that there is, at least, a limited right to privacy eminating from several provisions of the Bill of Rights despite the fact that there is no general, all-encompassing right to privacy article or amendment. See, e.g., http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/project...ofprivacy.html.

Many people prefer to protect their most valuable possession from public disclosure, e.g., family heirlooms with little or no economic value.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:55 PM   #38
MLeake

Responding to cen,

I would (and do) fight hard against any such legislation.

I think what if games like this may condition people toward accepting such legislation, in future.

I have guns, and were such legislation to pass, despite my efforts in contacting my representatives, and despite my financial conteibutions to RKBA organizations, then I might not buy any more.

Back when I was into fast cars, I was into sleepers. If I wanted to smoke a Mustang 5.0, back in the day, its driver would have been caught very much off guard by not only the horsepower, but also the suspension in my plain jane looking family sedan. (It was not stock.)

I like the tactical advantages surprise offers.
Old January 20, 2013, 08:59 PM   #39
cen

Totally agree with both of you
Old January 20, 2013, 09:05 PM   #40
Puddle

Right on, MLeake.

All this talk about giving an inch here and making compromises is concerning. Look what happened up in NY recently. They had a 10 round magazine capacity limit. They gave an inch. Now they have a 7 round limit. What's next? 3 rounds? 1? Zero?

We cannot give ground, here. Our basic rights are being tampered with, here. Too many examples in history show that this kind of inch-giving is dangerous. Eventually, all the inches are given up and there's nothing left - no freedom left. Then real bad stuff happens. It happened in our land almost 250 years ago. The colonists gave lots of inches. Eventually they got tired of giving up little pieces of freedom. I am NOT proposing any kind of revolution, here. But I do think that we should pay attention to history.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:06 PM   #41
seabee78

I agree with what your saying cen. It wouldn't stop my wife and I from buying guns either.
The concern we would have should it be public knowledge is theft. We have worked very hard to have the things we do. Especially guns. Thievery and breakins are scary and can destroy a families sense of security. Not to mention are the damages can cost a lot financially.
So, bottom line, I would still purchase guns, but I wouldn't enjoy making it public knowledge to the world.
I would do anything I had to to protect our family, home and everything in it.

seabee78
Old January 20, 2013, 09:10 PM   #42
cen

Seabee, I would never want it to go public, but I too would still buy the right gun.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:17 PM   #43
jimbob86

Quote:
I think that HEPA laws concerning privacy will start to be applied to gun ownership.
I think you mean "HIPPA" : Health Insurance Privacy and Portability Act of 1996 ..... written to keep your medical information private, so entities such as insurance companies and future employers could not use stuff in your medical records against you ......

..... so now out Esteemed President is issueing executive order to find ways to relax some of those controls ....... so that stuff in your medical records ...

.. (wait for it).............
.can be used against you!

Oh, surely they did not mean the .gov when they wrote that your medical records are PRIVATE! The rules only apply to individuals, and corporations .... not the Government, of course.

Also, buried in the ObamaCare law are requirements for your doctor to make your medical records available in a Federal Database, with fines and other penalties for non-compliance .......

I live in a small town ..... I'm sure many people here know I have guns..... that does not bother me nearly as much as some faceless bureaucrat somewhere perusing my medical records, my bank records, or my internet use.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:25 PM   #44
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cen
Of course it's none of their business, But if any of your neighbors asked if you had guns would you tell them " it's none of your business" or would you tell them that you do? Is it totally a privacy issue, are you ashamed of them knowing, or are you just worried about robbery? Do you think guns are a major target of thieves?
I certainly hope none of my neighbors would be nosy enough to ask if I have guns in the house. However, if any of them were to be brash enough to ask, I would lie like a rug and tell them no. I am certainly not ashamed of having guns, just as I am not ashamed of the fact that I'm a Vietnam veteran. But it IS none of anybody's business what I choose to have in my house.

And, yes, I am worried about robbery. My house was burgled in 1997. I didn't lose any guns -- they weren't inside long enough to find them, thank God, but I did lose two very good Canon SLR cameras, a couple of computers, some jewelry, and some family heirlooms that can never be replaced.

Do I think guns are a target of thieves? Do you read the news? Are you unaware that within a week of that newspaper in NY publishing the interactive map of who had guns, two houses on the list were burgled and the guns stolen? Around here, that's what we call a "clue."
Old January 20, 2013, 09:32 PM   #45
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 318
Cancer patients and narcotics? Lmao. Unnecessary post
To the contrary, it's a totally valid comparison and a very necessary post. Thieves often target houses in which they know the occupants are on painkillers, to steal the medicines. There was a case down south several months back (in fact, I think it was right at News Years a year ago) of a young woman whose older husband had just died of cancer, leaving her alone with a new baby. A pair of low-lifes tried to break in and she shot one of them after he smashed through the barricaded front door. The police speculated that they were mostly looking for the drugs they figured would be left after the patient died, but there's also the issue of what they might have planned to do to the young woman.

The point of the comparison is that certain things, such as narcotics and firearms, have high street value. It is counter to good public policy to be providing thieves with a prioritized list of where to go "shopping" for these commodities.
Old January 20, 2013, 09:36 PM   #46
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cen
I would just give a little to keep what we have.
Why should we give anything at all? We've been giving for years. What have the antis given us?

Have you read this? Scroll down about a quarter of the way, to the "Okay, I'll play" soliloquy:
http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2...-ill-play.html

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 20, 2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:01 PM   #47
cen

Aguila, God bless you for being a Vietnam veteran. Please stop the narcotic rant. This isn't the dosing line, it's the firing line. I'm sorry for your losses in the robbery. Who said anything about you telling someone about your business that you don't want them knowing? You don't want someone to know... don't tell me.

Why should we give anything at all? I'm sure you've noticed but you and I don't make the rules we have to abide by. We can do all we can to try to get things to go our way, by calling our congressmen, giving to the NRA or other organizations, by trying to elect the right people. In the end though, sometimes it just doesn't work out and we're all forced to follow rules made by people that have no business making them. Accept that fact, it's unfortunate... But true.

You as a Vietnam veteran HAVE been giving for years and have gotten little if anything for your sacrifice. We can hope that they give back, but I don't expect them to.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:05 PM   #48
jimbob86

Quote:
I certainly hope none of my neighbors would be nosy enough to ask if I have guns in the house.
You would not have to very nosy, or even very bright, to deduce from the number of cervids with bullet holes in them, hanging in the spruce tree out front every November, that there are at least several guns hereabouts .....
Old January 20, 2013, 10:14 PM   #49
jimbob86

Quote:
Aguila, God bless you for being a Vietnam veteran. Please stop the narcotic rant. This isn't the dosing line, it's the firing line.
Could you quote the "narcotic rant" for me, cen, 'cause I missed it, somehow.

He made a valid point, in that the comparison of cancer patients to gun owners being publicly identified making them a target for thieves, because they have something that thieves value.
Old January 20, 2013, 10:24 PM   #50
cen

Jim, Rainbow Demon started the narcotic talk, and while I totally agree and in fact believe that in my parts narcotics are much, much, more in demand than gun, they had nothing to do with my opening statement in this thread. But the comparison is fair, but exponentially unlikely that persons on narcotics would be identified in comparison to that possibility to persons who own firearms.