The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

View Poll Results: General Purpose Revolver, with personal defense in mind
Taurus Raging Judge 6" (.454 Casull, .45 Col and .410 Gauge) 6 9.52%
Taurus Raging Judge 3" 1 1.59%
Smith and Wesson "The GOVERNOR" 3" (.45 Colt, .45 ACP, and .410 Gauge) 16 25.40%
**Theoretical** Smith and Wesson "The GOVERNOR 6" 4 6.35%
Other Large Frame Revolver 6" 8 12.70%
Other Large Frame Revolver 3" 28 44.44%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 6, 2013, 09:14 AM   #76
Beretta686

To borrow from Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, I'd say they "are all equally worthless".

Though shooting them is amusing, I see them as little more than a novelty item (though many will disagree).

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old November 6, 2013, 09:53 AM   #77
Strafer Gott

It's an internet phenomena that on damn near any subject, hard core detractors and naysayers will overwhelm the words of the knowledgeable and informed. That said, I had a judge and it shot great. I took game with it. The game all seemed to appreciate being DRT. One of the kids wanted it, off it went. I elected to buy a Governor. Down at the LGS, they don't play games. They sell the Smith product as soon as they come in, so I had somebody tip me off when they had one, and I had him put a hold tag on it. I noticed when I picked it up the next day, there was another name on the hold tag under mine. So if I didn't take it, it was sold anyway. Demand, IMHO is a better statement of value, interest, and utility.
Now just because you aren't afraid of that itty- bitty shotgun, the rest of us mortals still need to be.
Watch Hickock45 shoot this gun. You might learn something.
Old November 6, 2013, 10:33 AM   #78
Cheapshooter

Quote:
It's an internet phenomena that on damn near any subject, hard core detractors and naysayers will overwhelm the words of the knowledgeable and informed
So very true. Even with the very compelling evidence in the article linked in post #45, and the two video reviews available by clicking on the blue "review" in that article. It just seems that self proclaimed internet experts are insistant on "saving" others from having a free, and informed choice of owing something like a Judge, or Governor. And don't even get them started on Hi-Point!
If the 45/410 platform were actually the poorly advised gimick they claim would S&W have joined in with their own version? Would sales still be as high as they are even after so many have already been sold? Would they not have been "found out", and be flooding the used market?
But the haters will continue to claim those Who actually own a 45/410 revolver are missing "reality", are lying about their personal experience with the performance, and are not as " sophisticated" as a gun owner as the internetexperts. They will continue to nit pick the posts of people who show decent results with their own gun, and they will keep grasping at straws to disprove the facts. But in the end anybody who is thinking of getting one will be well advised to look at all the evidence from both sides with an open mind, and decide if the 45/410 really fits their need. If It does, then they can decide between a bit larger size, one more round capacity, and manufacturers name or a bit smaller size, and weight, one less round, and a lower price.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 6, 2013, 11:57 AM   #79
Avec Bien

Don't like 410 how about 45colt?

For those who say the Judge/Governor is only good for shooting 45colt check out this round that can only be fired in the Judge/Governor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bLonprIWm4
Old November 6, 2013, 02:21 PM   #80
mavracer

Quote:
If the 45/410 platform were actually the poorly advised gimick they claim would S&W have joined in with their own version? Would sales still be as high as they are even after so many have already been sold? Would they not have been "found out", and be flooding the used market?
I wouldn't base my claims on consumers in the mid 70s Gary Dahl became a millionaire by selling 1.5 million rocks to people for pets.

Quote:
But the haters will continue to claim those Who actually own a 45/410 revolver are missing "reality",
the funny part is you say the same things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter
Again, I am not saying the 45/410 handgun is the perfect do all SD firearm. For CCW, my XD40 or CM9 are my choices. Along with my Elsie Pea as a BUG, or quick grab and go pocket carry. As a nightstand gun, the Springer, or KAHR are both good, but the Judge starts to have more viability. Of course my Remington 870 18" barreled, 7 shot 12 Ga. Is about as good as It gets for a "house gun". But then there is the roll of an anti carjacking truck gun. That's where for reasons I have pointed out the Judge Public Defender Poly really fits in. As a bonus, It also serves well as a snake protection sidearm. It does produce a very snake proof pattern to 10 to 15 feet with 7 1/2 shot. And just as 75 foot shots in self defense are nearly unheard of, and would most likely result in very expensive legal fees, a poisonous snake even at 10 feet isn't a threat.
It's not really good for CCW check, It's not really a good choice for home defense check, It's has a small nitch that it actually performs ok as long as the scenario follows the script but doesn't add lib well. I totally agree with you and again.
"If you're happy with your judge that's fine but there are better options."
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."

Last edited by mavracer; November 6, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old November 6, 2013, 02:57 PM   #81
KMAX

Ironic?

It just occurred to me that there is a bit of irony with these two guns. Some people say that neither are really effective for defense. The irony is in the names given some peoples political and legal outlooks these days. Maybe I just didn't get enough sleep.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 29, 2013, 01:24 PM   #82
rotor

S&W vs Taurus

I own both S&W and Taurus firearms and there is no question in my mind that S&W is the better quality gun. These are not concealed carry weapons in my opinion. But if you live where rattlesnakes are common and wild hogs might pop out also and you are on your own property where open carry is legal (Texas- we don't have open carry in public) than a 6 shooter where you can load 3 shotshells and three 45 LC or whatever combo you want is ideal. The ability to shoot 45 acp is a plus as for price and availability of ammo in these trying times. This is a compromise gun but depending on the type of defense it might be a good choice. Snake gun without carrying a shotgun. Higher power slug without carrying another gun- yes. Carry concealed for use against bad guy- no. Quality- S&W. Six vs five- S&W. Resale- I don't sell anything. The final thing is that everyone has Judge's sitting on the shelves but S&W are hard to find. The market has spoken.
Old December 29, 2013, 01:38 PM   #83
pax

I tend to trust the review of the Judge written by Tom Givens for SWAT magazine some time ago. I have seen nothing in this thread that would convince me that Givens' assessment was incorrect.

pax
Closed Thread