The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 19, 2011, 12:16 AM   #1
Eisotope

Mossberg 151k Scope/Bipod Question

Hey this is my first post here so forgive me if I'm asking something completely stupid lol.

I just got a Mossberg 151k .22 cal rimfire rifle. I love it I've shot it a few times no problems with jamming or anything.

First of all I want to get a scope for it and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for scope style and what not. I believe it is a dovetail type rail on the receiver of the rifle but I would like to know if anyone had an idea on what it would be. I know this question will come up so here is the answer: I will be using it for plinking and maybe varmint hunting, groundhogs are bad news.

Secondly I've been looking and looking and this is what I worry is the stupid part. I would like to put a bipod on it. Sadly there isn't a stud or anything on the wooden stock. So what comes to mind is either a barrel mounted bipod or improvising some kind of bipod that I can fasten directly to the wood stock.

I know this is a great rifle from what I've seen and read if I take care of it, it will last me for a lifetime or two. That's pretty good for a rifle made in between 1950 - 1951. Please don't flame me for wanting to make this a rifle i could be proud of and pass down my family.

Thanks,
Eisotope
Old September 24, 2011, 06:40 PM   #2
hooligan1

That's a cool auto dude, I wrote a thread on one that I have called "Lipstick on a Pig". (you can look it up on the search part of this forum) It has the regular "rimfire-rifle" grooves for proper scope mounting on the reciever. Mine shoots very nice with the open sights, even for me, I'm going naturally blind at 48 years old. I love my rifle and wouldn't consider getting rid of it for anything. If I was going to scope mine, I'd go to the local Bass-Pro and mill around the ring section and check prices on some QUALITY rings. And if I wasn't satisified I'd go to Midway USA, andf give ole Larry a try. But I wouldn't spend one dollar on junk rings to save my momma, I'd go with a Quality for shore!!! And spending a few extra bucks on quality glass for that baby would also be my goal. Like I said I love my Mossberg 151K, PS Nuhmrich Gun Parts.com has parts, also there is another source of Mossberg parts here in Missouri but its name eludes me at this time ,,,sorry Get a set of shooting sticks and learn to shoot off them.

Last edited by hooligan1; September 25, 2011 at 07:50 AM.
Old September 24, 2011, 08:32 PM   #3
dbw22lr

mossberg parts

The best mossberg parts supplier I have found is havlinsales.com great service and prompt delivery. I also got the same from numrich both are very good but havlin seems to have more mossberg items
Old September 25, 2011, 07:49 AM   #4
hooligan1

+1 dbw22lr, that's the name..