The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2011, 07:55 PM   #26
troy_mclure

if it were just the pin that would have been no big deal, but the whole stem bent. i ordered one for $15 from forster.

ill remove the pin and hope it is up to the task of sizing.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 10, 2011, 07:58 PM   #27
troy_mclure

Quote:
Sounds like a used set, how certain are you that the previous owner didn't bend it?
the previous owner never used it, he bought it(along with a bunch of .223 reloading gear) and then had "legal problems" and had to sell his toys.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 11, 2011, 12:56 AM   #28
HiBC

I have certainly scrapped a few RCBS 223 spindles in223 over the years.I suppose that is why I have 2 new spindles and 6 pins in the the little spare parts bin.The seater plug on my RCBS dies was marking my 75 gr Hornady's.Forsters were unavailable,so I got a set of Reddings.Happy.I am a believer in using a universal decap die first,then putting the brass in the tumbler to clean.Then I run clean brass in my sizer.
With all due respect,the finest of tools can give poor results if we have not mastered them.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:35 AM   #29
Don P

Quote:
guess forster may not be junk, but they are far too delicate.
This is BS by the truck load. When products are used properly and warnings are observed 99.9% of products will perform as intended. I must ask would you and a friend use a powered push mower to trim the hedges in the front yard?????
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old May 12, 2011, 07:20 PM   #30
Slamfire

I busted any number of spindles in my Forester 30-06 and 308 dies. It got expensive so I put in an RCBS spindle as the thread size is the same.

I finally gave away the 30-06 die to a bud who needed it. I decided to replace the Forester 30-06 match sizing die with a Lyman small base. I wanted the extra reduction for my Garands.

My Lee die in 308 gave me case neck run outs in terms of .001", my Lee Die in 30-06 is just horrible, never figured out why and it sits rusting in the garage.