The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 28, 2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Glockfan35

hornady critical defense ammo

What is everybody's opinion of it? I just picked up a box of it in the 124gr. JHP load. I intend to use it as my primary carry load in my G26, as everything I've heard so far about it has assured me it'll get the job done when I need it to. Anyone else care to offer their own arguments for/against this ammo? I plan to order at least 3 more boxes in the next few weeks and try to get out to the range to try this stuff out. If all goes well and I like the results I get from some of my own trials, then I'll probably use this and/or Black Hills 124 gr. JHP as my primary carry loads, continuing to buy the WWB 100-count boxes for range/practice duty.
Old April 28, 2011, 04:40 PM   #2
JohnO

Seems to expand reliably through various mediums. Personally, I'd stick with one of the "proven" designs until some actual street data is available. Not giving up my 127gr +P+ Ranger loads just yet.
Old April 28, 2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Coltman 77

I agree with John.

There are many street proven designs that have worked well for LEO for some years now so I'll stick with what's proven.

Gold Dot, HST, Ranger, Golden Saber...

According to an article in the American Rifleman last year (when the stuff first came out) Hornady intentionally designed it to underperform with respect to the FBI/IWBA penetration criterion.

Basically they decided that most civilian shootings only required 10" of penetration instead of a 12" minimum.

As a result, there are a lot of folks who won't even consider this ammo for carry and I'm among them.

Hornady ought to just run the FBI series of tests and publish the data, then let the chips fall where they may.

As far as I know, they have not done this yet.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old April 28, 2011, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockfan35:
What is everybody's opinion of it? I just picked up a box of it in the 124gr. JHP load. I intend to use it as my primary carry load in my G26, as everything I've heard so far about it has assured me it'll get the job done when I need it to. Anyone else care to offer their own arguments for/against this ammo? I plan to order at least 3 more boxes in the next few weeks and try to get out to the range to try this stuff out. If all goes well and I like the results I get from some of my own trials, then I'll probably use this and/or Black Hills 124 gr. JHP as my primary carry loads, continuing to buy the WWB 100-count boxes for range/practice duty.
Might wanna check what you've got there, Glockfan.

Hornady makes the 9mm Critical Defense only in the 115 gr. JHP iteration. If you have 124 gr. JHPs you've got either the "TAP FPD" load or the more commonly encountered "Custom" load, both of which use the XTP bullet which is an entirely different bullet than the CD round. (which has a red polymer insert in the nose whereas the XTP is a conventional hollowpoint with nothing in the expansion cavity of the bullet)

In any event, you have a good round. I routinely load and carry the Hornady 9mm 147 gr. XTP JHP and the Hornady .45Auto 230 gr. XTP +P JHP in my SD/CCW pistols and besides offering moderate expansion (about 1.5x caliber) and deep penetration, they also provide exceptional accuracy from any pistol that I've used them in.

Just thought that a word to the wise was in order here.

ETA: This thread may also be of interest to you if you've not seen it already...

www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6478530

Tags
9mm , black hills , glock 26 , hornady , self-defense