The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2011, 08:44 AM   #1
Dr Killdeer

Velocity difference in 9mm loads

I’ll keep this question general and simple. What is an acceptable velocity variation for a ten shot string of 9 mm handgun ammo?
I don’t own a 9mm, nor have I ever reloaded ammo for one, but a guy at the range saw my Chrony and asked if he could clock his reloads. For a ten shot string off a rest, the low was 690 fps and the high was 905 fps. To me a 215 fps difference would send up a red flag, but I elected to go about my business rather than take issue with it. Is that the norm for 9mm loads?
Old April 10, 2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Jim Watson

That is not the norm. It is, in fact, dreadful.
The last time I chronographed any 9mm, the extreme spread over 5 rounds ran from 6 to 61 fps for 7 different loads. The worst was a factory load at that.
I only chronograph 5 shot strings, my main interest is in making the required power factor for IDPA and avoiding grossly erratic ammunition like you saw. I once saw some statistics to indicate that a 10 shot string would vary APPROXIMATELY 30% more than a 5 shot string.
Old April 10, 2011, 09:06 AM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I am not sure as to the fact that I have never used a chrono. Though it appears that the guy has some deviation in his powder measuring. Out of a 10 shot string at 15 yards most of mine will be inside of 9 on a b27 target. If any are outside of it they are usualy in the 8. They feel the same to me, and have not given any problems after running through several different pistols.
Old April 10, 2011, 12:54 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

That sounds like the consistency I've seen come from reloaders trying to push their progressive presses to the maximum possible production rate. It gets especially bad when using a bulky powder in an already-mediocre load.

You're likely talking about a powder charge deviation of more than 0.5 gr, probably more like 0.6-0.7 gr, for most powders. ...Which sheds some light on people that think +/-0.3 gr is fine; but are always complaining about accuracy and performance

The other option, is that he made a very poor choice for powder selection, and is using something like H110/W296, 4227, etc. Combine the wrong powder with a position-sensitive load, and you can get very erratic performance.
Old April 10, 2011, 01:17 PM   #5
Clark

I put my chronograph way out there so the gas from the muzzle does not affect the measurement.

That combined with my poor handgun marksmanship, means I only fire one shot from a handgun over the chrono for a load.
A chronograph will last about 10 handgun shots and costs $100, so that is $10 per measurement.

The handgun range report look like this:
Kel-Tec PF9 3" barrel
1) 124 gr FN Honady bullets and [XX] gr Power Pistol. 1336 fps.
2) 100 gr Hirtenberger +P+ 1275 fps

But the rifle range report gets multiple velocity entries:
7mmRM
a) 70 Re22 180 gr VLD 3.48" 78kpsi loaded 45 [already pressure threshold tested] decap, reprime, 15 WW half hard going in, one RP easy in.
..1) Ruger #1 26" barrel, 6X scope, , 3016, 3023, 3030 fps, and 0.82" 3 shot group at 100 yards from the bag 11 pounds with scope, sling, bi pod
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 10, 2011, 02:32 PM   #6
relictrader

9mm have great loads world wide

I found that just trying to make POWER FACTOR in order to shoot is tough.
I must trust my loading and make sure that tight hold with mimium recoil is used when velocity is checked for a soft hold will read 1 to 200 FS slower.

Gary
Old April 10, 2011, 02:43 PM   #7
KW Gary M

That is a huge difference. Even the high of 905 fps is very slow for a 9mm. In most cases loads shouldn't vary more than 50-60 fps. Even for heavy bullets 905 fps is pretty slow for a 9mm. I load my target 9mm around 1,100 fps with 125 grain bullets and my carry 9mm over 1,200 fps with 115 grain.
Old April 11, 2011, 11:27 AM   #8
Dr Killdeer

The feedback I got from knowledgeable 9mm folks confirms what I thought. Something is rotten in Denmark. I probably should have said something to that guy, but since I don’t know 9mm loads from shinola, I just backed off. In retrospect, that was a mistake. When I need to know something that a book can’t tell me, I turn to other sources. This forum is one of them. Thanks again!
Old April 11, 2011, 05:45 PM   #9
LarryFlew

At least he isn't going to blow anything up at those numbers. 45 numbers at half the weight of bullet hhmmmmm
Old May 13, 2011, 11:09 PM   #10
madlink

similar problem

The only time I have had that much variation in speeds was when I was loading .45 Colt using Trail Boss powder and not crimping the bullet tight enough. (Yes, I know that this thread is about 9mm loads, but this isn't actually too much of a rabbit trail!). Trail Boss is a slow-burning low-density powder, and with a light crimp the pressures apparently weren't high enough and/or the bullet was leaving before all the powder could ignite.

Not the same problem for 9x19, for which I use Bullseye (a fast powder) and a light crimp on the bullet. Using a Dillon powder bar I get very consistent speeds: standard deviation of about 10 f.p.s. out of a Glock 17 with average speed about 1050 f.p.s. with a 124gr RN/FMJ bullet. I have never seen the kind of variation that guy had!
Old May 14, 2011, 10:54 AM   #11
g.willikers

Holy Cow, Clark, that's an expensive hobby you have, there.
Shooting chronographs long distance, that is.
Have you tried putting a piece of cardboard in front of the chrony, to stop the muzzle blast from messing up the readings?
Of course, that's no absolute guarantee that you can't still shoot it.
I've wounded mine a few times, but it ain't dead, yet.
Old May 14, 2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Japle

Well, a lot depends on the gun.

A 9mm load with Silhouette powder I used to use produced and average velocity of 935 fps and extreme spread of 38 fps in my CZ75 SA.
The same load in my new XDm 3.8 gave me an AV of 806 fps and an ES of 581 fps!!

Changing powders to TiteGroup gave me an AV of 907 fps and an ES of 30 fps.
In the CZ75, I got an AV of 927 fps and an ES of 19.4 fps.

Guess which load I use now!!