The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 25, 2009, 02:12 PM   #26
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

ilbob, Yes the hog will be gutted and skinned and sections are put in coolers... I don't use salt, just ice. A little ice on bottom, place meat but not so you are short on space for ice. Top with ice. Drain each morning and re-ice for 3-5 days them butcher sections and freeze. That is my routine anywho...
Brent
Old June 25, 2009, 02:30 PM   #27
Big Ugly Tall Texan

Most fun you can have fully dressed

More than 25 years ago, I used to hunt feral pigs with a .44 magnum single action. It is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Please note I said "pigs" not hogs. Anything more than about 60 or 70 pounds, I left them alone. They were too tough, too big to carry out of the river bottom and bit back too hard.

Looks like you had a good hunt.

I used to know a family that lived back in the woods that would take dogs and catch the pigs alive, then pen raise them for some of the best pork you could ask for.
Old June 25, 2009, 02:40 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

B.U.T.T.,
Quote:
I used to know a family that lived back in the woods that would take dogs and catch the pigs alive, then pen raise them for some of the best pork you could ask for.
That, my friend, is what I consider the most fun I can have with my clothes on although they will be wet, muddy and briar torn by the time we get to the hog and dogs to "toss and tie" the hog...
Brent
Old June 29, 2009, 11:58 AM   #29
Big Ugly Tall Texan

Catshoula hog dogs

When I was a kid we had a Catahoula hog dog named Helen. She was some good at working cattle or hogs and at chasing whitetailed deer. She was also a very good watch dog and wonderful for kids.

This link explains about Catahoula curs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catahoula_Leopard_Dog

Helen was "leopard" colored with what we termed "glass eyes". Her eyes were so light blue they looked clear.

We had about a 300-pound sow that got out of the pen with some of her pigs. While we were trying to get her back in, she tried to attack my father.

Helen came running at about a 90-degree angle to the path of that hog. She grabbed the hog by the snout and threw her body around, rolling that sow to the ground. The sow got up and tried to attack my father and Helen knocked her down again. After that, the sow went back into the pen along with her pigs.

I've always loved Catahoula curs and Redbone hounds. We have also had some pretty good Walkers, Blueticks and Black and Tans.

When Texas outlawed hunting deer with dogs, I pretty much quit hunting.
Old June 29, 2009, 12:33 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I've owned and hunted behind some good catahoulas.
I have also had good luck with the black mouth curr dogs too. I don't hunt hogs with hounds though.
Brent
Old July 1, 2009, 01:10 PM   #31
lt dan

since i became part of the firing line i have seen a lot about american hog hunting. didnt even know about it until a year ago. but now it kind of grew into dream to hunt the hogs of america. here is a couple i shot locally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01609.jpg (172.4 KB, 94 views)
Old July 1, 2009, 01:20 PM   #32
dallas-shooting

LT Dan

Those are awesome!!!! Worthogs I presume, I want hunt them very badly. Maybe sometime I can get down there and join you, I try to take a big hunting trip every other year. Those are awesome looking creatures.

Maybe we can trade sometime, a Texas hog hunt for a S African Hunt!!
Old July 2, 2009, 02:50 AM   #33
lt dan

dallas-shooting, be very careful with statements like that you might find yourself in africa sooner than you think(lol). i had a member of the firing line here in the beginning of march 09. read the thread in this forum under the topic "FIRINGLINE member hunts s-africa".

i think you will be amazed at the prices.

anyway, i would like to hunt hogs in america, i read up on american guns and hunting as much as possible. the american hunter we had over her brought me a couple of USA rifle and hunting magazines and i red every letter.

we seem to have more or less the same problem with pigs multiplying. where i live now i also grew up and only left for a couple of years when i joined the army. however there were never wart-hogs in our region. not only are they now in this area but there numbers are so abundant that they are a pest. the local farmers are very pleased if you come and hunt wart-hogs on their farms. apparently local nature conservation are investigating the problem, and it seems the hogs are going to be declared a problem animal. this status will allow farm owners to kill hogs with any means possible at any time of day.

for us hunters it simply mean that we can hunt with a spotlight and dont need hunting permits. but for the land owners it is the green light to allow hunters lawfully on their property. in other words this means one thing: we are going to hunt even more than usual.

so just say the word and we get you a hunting deal.
Old July 2, 2009, 05:28 AM   #34
aushunter

you guys are so lucky to still be able to shoot semi auto's!
I miss them dearly her in Australia since they have been outlawed.
Being only able to hunt with bolt actions here does tend to take some of the fun out of it!
Old July 3, 2009, 11:58 AM   #35
dallas-shooting

Double Tap on accident!
Old July 3, 2009, 12:00 PM   #36
dallas-shooting

LT Dan

That sounds great, when things slow down I would LOVE to book a trip to S Africa. I have always dreamed of hunting there, would be the ultimate!!!
Old July 6, 2009, 06:47 PM   #37
FrontSight

dallas shooting, those hogs are very nice, but you should post more pics of your lady friend...now THOSE are pics worth seeing....notice my green with envy grin:
Old July 7, 2009, 11:00 AM   #38
dallas-shooting

LOL Scrap500. Where did you see those? Arfcom?
Old July 7, 2009, 12:37 PM   #39
tomh1426

I wanna see too !
Old July 8, 2009, 11:15 PM   #40
FrontSight

dallas, yes, I believe so...those guys all had some pretty snarky posts until you put that pic up, then they all slunked away with their tales b/t their legs, lol...
Old July 9, 2009, 04:16 PM   #41
dallas-shooting

LOL!!!! Yeah I remember that now, that was funny. We will be married in 2 months, when I am at a computer with pics on it I will post them here.
Old July 10, 2009, 12:39 PM   #42
FrontSight

Awesome, good for you, congrats! I just got married last August, and if there is one thing I have learned, it is this:

Those men who tell you things will change probably got married too early in the relationship. If you have been together for a while (at least 3 - 4 years), then you know what you are getting into. If not, then get ready for a surprise!
Old July 13, 2009, 04:58 AM   #43
Dallas Jack

dallas-shooting, what is your connection with Dallas Shooting Supplies? I live just about a mile or so from the intersection of I30 and 635 and I would rather pick up in person. I need some of the Magpul mags.

Oh yea, very nice hogs. Keep it up there are to many here.
Dallas Jack
Old July 13, 2009, 11:39 AM   #44
dallas-shooting

Dallas Jack,

I own DSS, that would be great. Let me know what you need and I will fix you up. Thanks Morgan
Old July 13, 2009, 12:04 PM   #45
ZeroJunk

Looks like fun hunting, but you can keep them. Between ground hogs, coons, and deer I have to put 7 strands of electric fence around my garden. Don't need anything else trying to eat my stuff.
Old July 13, 2009, 01:08 PM   #46
fishcharmer

Nice hogs!