The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 3, 2008, 11:34 PM   #1
kpbeddin

Question about brass picked up at firing range

Hello everyone; I am fairly new to reloading and while at the firing range I noticed what appeared to be once fired factory 0.270 WIN brass. Since one of my rifles is a 0.270 I could not stand to see it wasted so I brought it home. As I was cleaning the casings, I noticed that almost every one had a slightly crushed neck(~1/4 of circumference bent). What caused this? Is this brass acceptable to reload?
Thanks,
Keith
Old October 4, 2008, 12:06 AM   #2
blu97

270 brass

clean it, resize it, and reload it.

I have a bunch of 270 that I don't need let me know if you are iterested in it.
Old October 4, 2008, 12:57 AM   #3
zippy13

Greetings, kpbeddin, and welcome aboard!

I would add inspect to blu97's list of things to do between resize and reload. If you're curious about the case crush, look for an identifiable off-set in the primer strike and see if the crush area is always at the same orientation when fired. It could be the result of poor ejection timing -- the cases hit the ejection port on their way out of an auto-loader.
Old October 4, 2008, 01:09 AM   #4
butta9999

it could be the simple thing of the case hitting the ground after firing. When ejecting the round it can sometimes cause a little dent in the neck. Nothing to worry about.

Be sure to carefully inspect the brass before reloading, tumble clean it, inspect it again. You will have to full size the brass to bring the shoulder back to factory specs also the walls of the case. This is due to the cases being fire formed to the rifle it was fired from. All chambers are different.

If they are once fired brass you should not have a problem with reloading them. Be sure to check the cases in your rifle before seating the primer to be sure they chamber.

Good luck.

Butta
Old October 4, 2008, 09:15 AM   #5
kpbeddin

Thanks everyone for the good advice. Given the consistency of the damage to the necks, it makes sense that it occurred from being ejected from a semi-automatic. I was not sure since I have only owned bolt action rifles. I will heed your advice and perform close inspection and chamber them prior to reloading.
Keith
Old October 4, 2008, 11:54 AM   #6
zippy13

Most reloading handbooks will have a section on case inspection. Here's a link to an on-line guide exteriorballistics.com. A google search will turn up several more.
Old October 4, 2008, 12:40 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Range brass is best full-length resized, to ensure it's not expanded such that it won't fit your chamber. Or, check before reloading, if you only want to resize the neck. After you've fired your reloads, neck-sizing is all that's needed.