The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2017, 05:31 PM   #1
Stats Shooter

Cast bullets starter kit

It looks like I may start getting into casting some bullets for my 45-70 and revolvers. I was wondering if anyone has a recommended starter kit. I don't mind spending some money for a good one, provided it works well.

Also, what brand of molds are the best? Again not concerned about cost.
Old September 23, 2017, 07:37 PM   #2
briandg

I really don't like aluminum molds. Almost any iron mold is going to be precise. I have always used an open pot, a bottom fed pot is much more convenient. Using a lubrisizer costs a fortune and if you want to use a hard lube you have to get a heater plate. If you go full bore into this it's going to be very expensive, just getting the sizing dies and molds will cost you about as much as 1,000 bullets.

You could try the Lee setup and do it cheaply, but I really hate that pour on lube.

Your 45 70 will be more likely to pay off than doing it for the nine.
Old September 23, 2017, 07:58 PM   #3
dahermit

Quote:
Using a lubrisizer costs a fortune and if you want to use a hard lube you have to get a heater plate. If you go full bore into this it's going to be very expensive, just getting the sizing dies and molds will cost you about as much as 1,000 bullets.
You could try the Lee setup and do it cheaply, but I really hate that pour on lube.
There is always powder coating and a Lee push-through die instead of a lube-sizer.
Old September 23, 2017, 08:08 PM   #4
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Your 45 70 will be more likely to pay off than doing it for the nine.
I don't have a nine....I have a .40, a 45 ACP, a .357, a .44mag, and a .41 mag....oh and a 10mm

And 2 .45-70's
Old September 23, 2017, 09:35 PM   #5
disseminator

Disclosure: I don't cast bullets....yet.

While it is very brand specific, of course, Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook will answer all your questions. I have learned a ton reading through it.
Old September 23, 2017, 11:05 PM   #6
condor bravo

Re: a heater plate for cold, hard lube per briandg, post #2, a hair dryer pointed at the lower portion of the tube will keep the lube soft. It does not have to stay on constantly.

Hensley and Gibbs molds, if you can find any, is certainly in the running for best molds. Stay with nothing larger than four cavity. Larger capacity molds may run into the problem of retaining the mold casting temperature. Two cavity molds are probably the most popular. Also, would pass up aluminum molds.
Old September 23, 2017, 11:32 PM   #7
Dufus

Since I have no experience with a "kit", I will just relay how I got started.

It was in around (I think 1970 IIRC) and I had not a lot of money as I was a youngster just starting college.

I bought a Lyman pot (call the Lyman Mould Master Electric Furnace) and I don't recall what I paid for it but it seems like it was about $35. I ordered an RCBS mold for around $15. Then a while later I ordered another in 357. Along came the RCBS lubrisizer. I was in business.

I did not know what the hell I was doing, but I was making some beautiful cast bullets. Added a bunch since then.

Present day, my favorite molds are made by Accurate Molds. Aluminum, brass, and the traditional iron molds are all available. I like Accurate because the are CNC cut and can be purchased as is or they can be modified to almost any specification that you want.

I have Lyman, H&G, Ideal, RCBS, and Accurate molds and I don't have a bad on one in the lot. They are all iron molds.

So, lastly, I can and do make cast bullets for every caliber that I own.

By the way, the Lyman Mould Master Electric Furnace is still working and I still use it often. I have a larger pot for melting lead and alloy to make ingots for storage. My large dipper will fill a 4 ingot mold.

Alloy and lube is the secret to successful cast bullets.

I get my lube from Leah & Glenn at LSStuff. http://www.lsstuff.com/

Here is an excellent read on bullet lubes:
http://castbulletassoc.org/forum/thr...s-at-3000-fps/

Good luck and I know you will enjoy shooting bullets made by you. I do.

Casting bullets is the only way I can afford to shoot my big bores regularly.
Old September 23, 2017, 11:53 PM   #8
armoredman

I am a cheap bastige. I have a Lee bottom pour pot, Lee aluminum molds and one proud NOE mold, and I cast and powder coat all the time, using a Lee push through sizer to set any gas checks needed. The Lee 2 cavity molds are cheap, and really are to see if you like the bullet enough to buy the 6 cavity. I use the Lee 356 124-2R in the six cavity and it seems to work fine so far. They do wear out faster than a really good Lyman or other high quality mold, but for easing your toe into the melt, that's a cheap way to do it. Powder coating was even cheaper - $5 Goodwill toaster oven with a hand made metal tray to replace the glass one, and Harbor Freight powder swirled in old butter tubs with airsoft high density polyurethane BBs to help build up the static charge. A bent pair of forceps to place the upright coated bullets on the non-stick aluminum foil over the tray, a pair of needle nose pliers to lift the tray out when done, and voila!
Huge amounts of excellent info at castboolits.gunloads.com.
Old September 24, 2017, 12:24 AM   #9
briandg

Something to consider. Be thoughtful when you buy your mold. Getting an iron mold and changing your mind as you work is a pain.