The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 11, 2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Rigmarol

Taurus PT145 broken part advice needed

Took my Taurus Millenium PT145 .45ACP to the range the other day and it was failing to fire about once every 5 shot attempted. At first I thought it was my handloads. But, my Son in law was shooting rounds from the same box with no trouble at all with his S&W M&P.

When I got home, I tore down the gun and found it had a broken part.
I called Taurus and they have a lifetime repair policy on the gun which made me very happy, however, the part that is busted is what they call a "restricted part". Which means, they can't send it to me or to a deal or to a gunsmith. the part must be installed by them in their shop. That didn't make me happy any more.

I have to pay to ship it but they will fix it, clean it, check it out and ship it to me no charge.

They offered to sell me the shipping label for $50 bucks and right now, I don't want to spent $50 bucks on such a seemingly small part.

So, I am seeking advice from the experts on whether it would be feasible to attempt to MAKE the part myself.

The busted part is plastic with a spring. I would make it out of steel.

Here are some pictures:

The gun:

Parts Schematic:

Close up of the firing pin parts:

The busted part is called part 1.13 Captive Firing Pin Spring Assembly:
It's made of a bluish green plastic with a heavy spring on it. The spring doesn't come off.

Here is the part and where it's busted:

I'm sure I can make the part, I'm not sure if it is smart to change from a plastic part to a metal part. It was either engineered on purpose this way OR it was a cheap way to make the part.

Does anyone think replacing this "restricted part" with a metal part is a bad idea or not?

Thanks.
Old November 11, 2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Roughedge

You could make it and it may work. If you ever had to use the gun and they found out you altered a restricted part it may be a deal closer. I'm a gunsmith and I say send it back and let them fix it. But, if it was mine I would probably try to make it.
Old November 12, 2013, 07:58 PM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I have sent a few guns back to Taurus , and they turn them around pretty quick ! (2 weeks average) Those PT guns aren't very robust at all , especially the Magazine latches ! Not a gun that will hold up to a lot of target shooting . I still like steel guns , and when it comes to 45 ACP , 1911s rule !
Old November 12, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It looks to me like it might not even be needed. Its function appears to be to keep the spring and guide together when the spring is removed, but it looks like part 1.14 and 1.15 would support the spring OK without the retainer.

The reason Taurus won't sell that part is that it is part of the firing pin spring assembly, and they want to make sure that anything having to do with reliability is to factory specs. In today's society, I can't say I blame them.

Jim
Old November 12, 2013, 10:43 PM   #5
Rigmarol

OK thanks guys. I think I'll just send it in. I didn't even think about the possibility of getting in trouble modifying a restricted part. I just didn't think of it like that, makes sense to me to just be safe. It is my carry gun and would be the gun in court if something bad had to be done.

Thanks.
Old November 12, 2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Rigmarol

Oh, btw, I have a couple thousand rounds through this one and This is the first trouble I've had with it. I'm satisfied it will do the job of needed. And I do prefer 1911s but this guy tucks in so nice for me I hardly feel it. To each their own and this one is mine.
Old November 15, 2013, 09:44 AM   #7
g.willikers

Just a guess, but
It's also possible that the new part the factory installs will have been redesigned out of stronger stuff.
Gun makers don't particularly want to have defective ones out there.

When it comes back, if it's the same ole' kind of part, then you can experiment with making a better one, knowing you still have a fully operational gun, if it doesn't pan out.
Old November 15, 2013, 09:57 AM   #8
nate_g_2003

I'd send it back. You should have no problem shipping it with the extras (insurance, tracking, signature required, etc.) for way less than $50.
Old November 15, 2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Rigmarol

Thanks guys I'm going to send it in then see if I can make a 'homemade" part later.