The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 21, 2009, 12:13 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Another wild hog show...

I wasn't impressed...

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co.../3907/Overview

Has some hog doggin' footage as well as discussion of birth control etc. But what was funny as heck was how the "star" was so gung ho to "leg" a hog but absolutely chokes when presented with the opportunity and it was a little sucker!
Some photos of hog induced injuries shown after he makes some "scientific" fake legs with ballistic gelatin to show the damage they can do...
Brent
Old June 21, 2009, 12:41 AM   #2
Buzzcook

The National Geographic Channel is just another schlock faux science channel. If facts get in the way of entertainment value, they go for the entertainment.

NGC has as much to do with science as the History channel has to do with history, not much.
Old June 21, 2009, 09:41 AM   #3
JagFarlane

-chuckles at the birth control- Reminds me of the late 90's...NJ was debating what to do about a towns problem with deer in the area. Birth control was mentioned...eventually the state decided, almost a surprise considering how liberal it is, that the best solution was to have bowhunters in the area as population control. Birth control itself was deemed too expensive and too time consuming.
Old June 22, 2009, 11:36 AM   #4
davlandrum

Brent,

That show was a hoot! It was more like a cartoon than informational.

They had more footage of the "swamp buggy" than hogs. I was thinking "Man, they should have called HogDogs, then there would be some action!!!"

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old June 22, 2009, 01:13 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yeah the chasing of a pig with the airboat on land was goofy funny! Ol' Junior would made the star cry had he seen him curr out on grabbin the little dog caught piggy. It would have likely been a 2 minute barrage of searing "yer a sissy" type remarks seperated only by giggles and down right belly laughs... I woulda been mad cuz I woulda spewed high alcohol content Ice House beer out my nose and dropped my can to tip the piggy cuz' junior would have been no use layin' there peein' his pants laughin' at the big tuff expert biologist feller!
Brent
Old June 22, 2009, 01:26 PM   #6
davlandrum

What does the catch dog grab? I am trying to picture where it grabs the front end without getting sliced everytime.

Looks like dang hot and hard work trying to keep up with the dogs. Friend of mine did a bear hunt with dogs right before that was banned here. He said it was the hardest hunting he ever did, trying to keep up with them up and down through the mountains and thick brush.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old June 22, 2009, 01:40 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The catch dog, if he/she expects a long life, catches the ear or jowl and trys to stay along the hog's side. It isn't a sure thing but is their best bet. A sure nuff HAWG can sling his head hard enuff to get the dog waving around like a ragdoll though. A short lived dog is one who goes in front on and catches on the snout. The most safe thing is to use 2 good bulldogs but it is often a pain in the butt to lead 2 bulldogs.

It is a workout. Summer daytime hunts are lethal for both the dogs and humans as both can easily succumb to heat stroke. We cant wear shorts in the briars and I normally have on a longsleeve heavy shirt such as thin denim. we don't have the hills like most bear doggers face but we trade off with thick muck, swamps, creeks, thickets and briars. Some of our briars have 3/4-1 inch thorns. Some of the nick names for them are "cat claw" if small thorns. "tie dye" cuz if in a white t-shirt you leave the woods looking like a hippie in a tie dye shirt. "wait a minute" and "dammit" vines... well you can figure these names out easy enuff. Then there are the requisite gators and snakes. Gators will flat out eat a dog and snakes have claimed many dogs and hurt many humans as well. The spiders generally don't bite but them big palm size "banana" spiders will cause broken bones if you are running while trying to clear them and their webs in the dark.

We don't generally cover as much ground as bear doggers as we use "silent on track" bay dogs rather than "open on track" hounds.
Brent
Old June 22, 2009, 03:16 PM   #8
ilbob

I watched it too.

I did see a couple interesting things. One of the guides appeared to have a holstered firearm on under his jacket.

And an AR style rifle was clearly visible mounted on the side of the swamp buggy. I saw it several times.

I have watched the host a couple times before and mostly it is obvious he is overdoing the fear of the critters he is playing with. They came across a gator in the swamp and decided to rope it. He pretended to be afraid of the gator but it was clear he had no problem with capturing it. Not so with the hogs. He was shrieking like a girl, and wanted no part of them.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old June 22, 2009, 03:27 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The buggy likely is used quite often. They would tend to shoot hogs they see while the dogs are off elsewhere looking. Sidearm is just a wise idea but getting much use on camera would be unlikely. I am pretty sure way more out of season gators go in peanut oil rather than relocated...
Brent
Old June 23, 2009, 11:45 AM   #10
davlandrum

They were being very PC - the one that killed me was letting the ones go that they had taken DNA samples on, after 1/2 hour of telling us we are going to be over run in the next 30 days.

I was thinking "fire up the grill"...

Thanks for the info, Brent. I figured the ears, but was not sure if the hog could twist around that far.

Old June 23, 2009, 12:04 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If all goes well the hog kinda gives up. If all goes fairly well he is gonna fight but picture it sorta like a rodeo bull workin in a tight circle and not switching direction. The dog just has to keep his hip on the hog's hip and backing up.
Then all heck breaks loose when the hog goes nuts and switches up while swinging his head. No 70 pound bulldog will be able keep his weight to the back.
Brent
Old June 23, 2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Tucker 1371

Quote:
They were being very PC - the one that killed me was letting the ones go that they had taken DNA samples on, after 1/2 hour of telling us we are going to be over run in the next 30 days.
Yeah, gotta love that overzealous strive for PCness that everyone has these days :barf:. I saw the same show and a little bit of the NatGeo one and I had been playing with the idea of getting into hog hunting but now I really think I will, Now I just need to find someone locally that has a hog problem that will let me hunt on their land.

That host was a wuss though, the experienced guy had to practically give him an engraved invitation to grab that hog and even then he only got one leg and that guy had to do the rest for him while he was "Yaaay I did it I caught a hog" like a little 12yo school girl.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Last edited by Tucker 1371; June 23, 2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old June 23, 2009, 12:37 PM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

GSU, what quadrant of GA are you in?
May can send you towards some hoggers...
Brent