The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 29, 2005, 11:43 AM   #1
Jack O'Conner

Sika deer facts & photos

These amazing deer originated from Manchuria and Japan. But thriving in North America, New Zealand, and portions of eastern Europe. Back in 1916, several breeding pair were released by citizens (without permission) onto small coastal islands of Maryland. They have flourished and moved to the mainland to sustain huntable populations.

Sika deer are also hunted at game ranches throughout USA. A good trophy weighs close to 200 lbs with antlers of 4 points on each side. It is said that sika deer meat is tasty, more alike elk than deer. I have not yet feasted on this exotic dish.

I've never hunted these deer. My sole reason for this post is to share with other hunters that many species of deer inhabit our planet. All created by our Lord for our good stewardship and use.
Jack
Old December 29, 2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Trip20

I watched a hunt of this species on OLN. I can't remember how many times the hunter kept remarking on how tasty these beasts were. I thought the hunt took place in Texas... but I might be mistaken.
Old February 4, 2006, 12:37 AM   #3
beenthere

Sika

Another beautiful species. If they've moved to the mainland it's likely they'll keep expanding their range. Once they pass the turkey neck into the Pennsylvania, Virginia area the migration might even speed up.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour