The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2018, 04:54 PM   #51
RC20

Quote:
after equipment, set up, and components, its only after about 75 million rounds that you break even from just buying the ammo. LOL
Let's see, the tittle of this group is RELOADING!

Maybe you wandered into the wrong section?

OP did not say a single thing about wanting an opinion on getting into reloading. Hint?
Old August 26, 2018, 05:26 PM   #52
B.L.E.

There's more to reloading than just saving money. Try buying 3/4 ounce 12 gauge loads from Wal-Mart.
Old August 26, 2018, 06:14 PM   #53
FITASC

Quote:
There's more to reloading than just saving money. Try buying 3/4 ounce 12 gauge loads from Wal-Mart.
True, the ClayBuster wad is excellent for making that 3/4oz load.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 26, 2018, 07:37 PM   #54
Average Joe

Soon they will go the way of Sports Authority, when Sports Authority stopped selling guns, and ammo, they went steadily down hill, until they went out of business....
Old August 26, 2018, 07:58 PM   #55
FITASC

Quote:
I recently bought 5000 primers from Brownells. They had free haz mat and free shipping.
It was one of their one day deals. 5000 primers, 1 lb Titegroup and 1 lb of Power Pistol, total to my door was 216.00. Watch for their one day free shipping and haz mat.
Free haz mat and shipping and you only bought 2# of powder? Maybe 2 8# jugs would make it worthwhile.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 26, 2018, 09:19 PM   #56
pete2

Brownell's will offer the deal again. I didn't need powder, I added it as an after thought. I prolly should have got another 5000 primers tho.
Old August 26, 2018, 09:35 PM   #57
FITASC

Look at Graf's and Son; they run $7.95 shipping specials now and again and carry Nobel's Vectan line which is getting great reviews, especially when you buy 10 or 20 1.1# jugs
Old August 26, 2018, 10:34 PM   #58
Tsquared

Quote:
That's easier than 2.5" 16 gauge shells anywhere.
Old August 27, 2018, 05:04 AM   #59
B.L.E.

Even if you can find 3/4 ounce 12 gauge factory loads, you won't find them for $59.95 per flat.
Old August 27, 2018, 06:20 AM   #60
FITASC

Since thy don't exist commercially, you're right! But I can reload 3/4oz 12 gauge for ~$3.85/box, so less than $39/flat works for me.....
Old August 27, 2018, 07:33 AM   #61
polyphemus

Quote:
Has Cabelas lost there minds
That was OP's question and going by the numerous responses the logical answer is:Yes,Cabela's has lost "there" minds.
Old August 27, 2018, 10:05 AM   #62
ed308

Really? I'd love to find them @ $28 a thousand like they used to be iffin I could. After tens and tens of thousands of rounds ignited with Winchester primers, I've yet to have even one Winchester primer fail. What was/is your issue with them?

I've got a ton of their Large Rifle primers that are defective. But only discovered the problem last summer when I started using them. They've damaged a bolt face on a couple of my rifles. Bad lot of primers that was manufactured around 2012. I need to call Winchester and send them back. I think I have 10,000 that are probably bad. It's been discussion on this forum and several other forums.
Old August 27, 2018, 08:56 PM   #63
B.L.E.

Quote:
Has Cabelas lost there minds
Cabela's lost their minds, Dicks sold their soul.
Old August 27, 2018, 10:18 PM   #64
edfardos

reloading is the only way to get ammo in CA now, without background checks and permits and their new useless drivers license. importing ammo to the California Empire is also illegal this year. Ag checks/searches are now imperial entanglements at the boarder.

having said that, what's the best reloading price on the Nevada boarder? Cabellas in Reno gouging? how about Scheels?
Old August 30, 2018, 01:49 PM   #65
5whiskey

Quote:
I've got a ton of their Large Rifle primers that are defective. But only discovered the problem last summer when I started using them. They've damaged a bolt face on a couple of my rifles. Bad lot of primers that was manufactured around 2012. I need to call Winchester and send them back. I think I have 10,000 that are probably bad. It's been discussion on this forum and several other forums.
Ditto here. It's a known issue with Win LRPs. I have a scarred Savage 110 bolt face to prove it. It doesn't take 1000s of rounds either. A few hundred rounds and there was a very distinct "primer ring" in the bolt face.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old August 30, 2018, 04:12 PM   #66
reinert

FITASC and LineStretcher; I'm with you fellers...whenever I'm in Billings, MT, and figure I need some reloading supplies, I drive right by Cabelas and head right over to the Scheels store there. Great place, great help, and good prices. Can't say enough about that store; all good. And they seems to always have whatever it is I need for restocking my shelf. And the kicker is there's no sales tax up there, either.
Old August 30, 2018, 04:43 PM   #67
FITASC

Awesome! One of the states I had only briefly passed through decades ago and want to go back to.
Old August 30, 2018, 06:06 PM   #68
LE-28

I don't agree that Winchester primers are junk as BLE stated, I've been using them for 43 years and they have treated me very well. I went through a period in the 1990s when I went to CCI and had to many failures so I went back to Winchesters.

I can still walk into my LGS today and get either a brick or a case of Winchester primers of any size for $29.95/k. That was last week.

They do a brisk business and cater to handloaders, they have to have the best prices on gun powder and the largest selection I have ever seen.

I agree the Cabela's and Bass pro is a joke. Dick's, you forgot ball gloves, camping crap, cheap clothing and fishing poles. Good God!

I was just at Concord,NC two weeks ago and a huge BASS Pro is across the road from where I was and I didn't even think about stopping in. Why would I?

Academy Sports? I just don't bother to look, maybe I'm missing something but I seriously doubt it.

Bill's Gun Rack in Kernersville, NC treats me so well, and has such good prices that I just don't even think about it. I buy all my guns from them also. If they don't have it they will get it and call me when it's in.
1 1/2 miles from my house. I really feel for our fellow reloaders that have so much trouble finding good components at a decent price.
Makes me feel guilty. A super good small business that treats their customers so well is almost extinct in America.
You won't believe their powder selection.

Last edited by LE-28; August 30, 2018 at 06:11 PM.
Old August 30, 2018, 07:16 PM   #69
B.L.E.

Quote:
I don't agree that Winchester primers are junk as BLE stated,
That part of my post was a quote from a post made by ed308. I was answering his statement. Particularly how he inferred that Winchester primers from Cabelas are junk. What does Cabela's have to do with it? Is there a head honcho at Winchester that says "these are our reject primers, let's sell them to Cabela's"?
Winchester primers junk? I hardly think so, they are about all I use in my trap and skeet loads.
Old August 30, 2018, 07:24 PM   #70
FITASC

Exactly, I finally was able to go back to Win 209 for shotguns and they are great
Old August 31, 2018, 10:13 AM   #71
hdwhit

Quote:
Old 454 asked:
"Has Cabelas lost there minds"
First, Cabela's no longer has a mind. They are a subsidiary of Bass Pro.

Second, I don't know where Cabela's mind is located. "There" refers to location. "Their" refers to possession. "They're" is a contraction for They Are.

Third, I suspect the mandate has come down from Bass Pro headquarters to "monetize" the assets in those sections of the store that will be de-emphasized as the stores that will continue to operate are brought into conformity with the Bass Pro model.

Fourth, the market Bass Pro is seeking to serve is the crowd who drives to the store in a Lexus. They will complain about, but will still purchase, primers at $50 per thousand.

Fifth, before Bass Pro decided to open a lot of branch locations, my family and I visited the "Mother Ship" in Springfield, Missouri. Having seen their catalog (this was pre-internet) I had high expectations for their reloading supplies. I found very high prices and limited selection. After all, something has to pay for the aquarium show, the scuba diver and the fish food.

Sixth, if you don't want to pay $50 per thousand for primers, shop somewhere else.
Old August 31, 2018, 11:31 AM   #72
B.L.E.

Quote:
Sixth, if you don't want to pay $50 per thousand for primers, shop somewhere else.
I do.
Old August 31, 2018, 06:10 PM   #73
markr6754

I’m enjoying this thread quite a bit. First, because my reloading mentor started it...but also because of the deep emotions, pet peeves, noses in the air, grammar nazis (of which I am a recovering g.n.), and the frequent snarky comments that come out.

Cabelas is a bit of a problem for me, but then, I am seeing the continuing decline of brick and mortar, big box retailers all over the local area. Price Bros....gone; Elder Beerman...last store closing Monday; Sears...last local area store closing in months (I bet money this would be the last to close....).

I have a teeny soft spot in my heart for Cabelas because they took a chance opening a store in my area just months after a Field and Stream opened up. From no big box outdoors venues to two in short order...ouch. I bought my first powder there (HP-38), my first primers (CCI 550 by mistake), my first bullets (Berry’s 115gr CPRN), powder stand, media sifter, case gauge, calipers, and on and on and on. It hurts, now, to walk into a nearly empty, severely shrunken reloading area, not to mention the loss of the vet discount on reloading supplies.

Yeah...some prices do hurt...but I tend to buy when I see a “reasonable“ to me price. I don’t have memories of primers at $10/k, or powders at $10/bottle. But it’s nice not paying hazmat...though I know enough now (through this forum) to buy in bulk when available, and I have a dozen online retailers to choose from...further contributing to the death of brick and mortar retailers. My LGS closed 3 months ago...and aside from Cabelas, I think the nearest shop with reloading supplies is 45 miles away.

Perhaps Cabelas has lost their mind, but not (yet) their soul...if a retailer can have a soul. I don’t get the same tickle up my leg when I pass their location...but I still devour every flyer and catalog hoping (against hope?) for a deal on something.
Old September 16, 2019, 08:56 AM   #74
AVirginian

Well, resurrecting an old thread.

While I am not a giant fan of Cabela's, there are times when I stop in to see if there are any deals. The few times I do make a purchase, I always ask for my veteran discount and never expect to get it on reload stuff. Last week I asked again and got it on some Hornady ELD Match bullets. The cashier stated that they changed their policy due to all the negative feedback from customers

IF, that is true, it seems they listened. They are still high priced on many things but at least they altered their policy.
Old September 16, 2019, 09:18 AM   #75
GeauxTide

The acquisition by BPS means they're not a discount house any more.