The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 28, 2017, 01:12 PM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

Duh, you are correct. Slipped my mind. How could I forget DAO semis - however you define them.

I need the face slap emoji. I even had some of them.
Old June 28, 2017, 05:08 PM   #27
Brit

Well boys and girls, there are gunfighters, and hobbies-ts!

The most important shot of your whole life, the first one, in a fight for your life, weighs 12 lbs! And 1/4" longer than the second one, at 3 lbs!

Good idea? NO!

That's why I carry a Glock 19 4th Gen. First Shot, and the next 15, all the same 4.5 lb release, same length of travel. Good recoil with my 147g Ranger T.

Very accurate, hundreds of Police shootings done with this same round.

"Why I picked this cartridge!"
Old June 28, 2017, 07:00 PM   #28
MandolinMan

Quote:
The most important shot of your whole life, the first one, in a fight for your life, weighs 12 lbs! And 1/4" longer than the second one, at 3 lbs!

Good idea? NO!

That's why I carry a Glock 19 4th Gen. First Shot, and the next 15, all the same 4.5 lb release, same length of travel.
Interesting thought, but I'm not sure how that has anything at all to do with how to carry SAO 1911's.
Old June 28, 2017, 07:32 PM   #29
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL45 View Post
I have had my conceal carry for about a year and half and have always carried a .357 revolver. I decided to go with something lighter and purchased a Sig P238. My question is, should I carry it with the hammer back and on safe, or hammer down and on safe? Thanks
"cocked and locked"
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 28, 2017, 09:27 PM   #30
AL45

The reason I switched to the P238 is because my Wife has had one for a while and I like the way it handles, the reliability of it and how well I can shoot it. I was carrying a Ruger sp101 at about 4 o'clock IWB. The gun is well made and accurate but it was heavy and uncomfortable to wear. I carry the P238 in a pancake type holster on my right hip, and can draw it and get it on target much faster than the .357 carried IWB. It conceals well and and I forget I am wearing it at times. As to how I would respond in a life or death situation where speed is of the essence is an unknown to me. No one knows until they are in that situation. No doubt I need to practice drawing, taking safety off, getting on target and firing. And I will. As a reloader, this gun will be guaranteed to see a lot of action.
Old June 29, 2017, 09:19 AM   #31
Brit

Answer to Mandolin Man.

It doesn't really, but a good thought! Especially as I missed a safety catch in a big IPSC match years ago. And if it happened in a high stress sports event, what are the odds of it happening in a fight for your life? Hence gone pistols with manual safety catches. In 1984.
Old July 12, 2017, 04:41 PM   #32
Eod1

Sometimes I carry my HK USP 45. This gun allows me to carry hammer forward round in chamber off safe. the same on safe and cocked and locked one in chamber like a 1911.
Old July 15, 2017, 12:20 PM   #33
Mannlicher

I would carry the Sig P238 with safety on, and hammer back. I have many years experience carrying a 1911 that way, and for me, it's 'natural' and safe.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 16, 2017, 09:15 AM   #34
P5 Guy

Glock26, ten rounds in the magazine one chambered. Carried in an on the waistband holster that covers the trigger.
I'm not fast, low drag or any kind of operator.