The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 3, 2008, 08:07 PM   #1
butcher 1

Please help identifying beretta

My first post on this forum and heres the reason. I have a wwII era beretta with these markings.
P.Beretta-cal 7.65-Brevettata Gardone V.T 1940 XIX. This is on the left side of the slide.Right side is the SN 461579, also on the frame and the last 4 digits are also on the barrel. On the left side of the frame below the hammer is a crown and an eagle, I believe,in flight, kinda reminds you of the budweiser eagle. I know that this shoots 32 acp,has an 8rnd magazine and the XIX means the nineteenth year of the Fascist era. I can't figure out the Crown and Eagle. I see no other markings so hope you guys can help. I'd say the pistol is 80 to 90 percent with the original holster with the markings P.P.R. I believe, last letter is hard to read. Hope you can help and thanks.
Old August 3, 2008, 10:31 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Could the critter under the crown be a lion instead of an eagle?
(Crown)/(Lion) was the mark of Italian proof house at Brescia.

Otherwise, it is a 1935 Beretta as issued to the Italian Air Force and Navy. A lot went to the Germans, most have a 4 UT stamp on them though.

The Italian Army issued the 1934 Beretta, same gun in 9mm Corto/.380 ACP.

I don't know about the PPR on the holster, probably the maker's mark.
Old August 4, 2008, 12:40 PM   #3
butcher 1

Jim,
Thanks for the reply. No, it's definitely an eagle and I see no more marks than stated. Something has to come up somewhere, I hope.
Old March 17, 2012, 10:18 AM   #4
Luvian

butcher 1: Please help identifying Beretta (Model 1935)

Dear butcher 1,

I inherited from my father a Beretta exactly like yours:

P. BERETTA-CAL. 7.65-BREVETTATA GARDONE V.T. 1940-XIX with the Crown and Eagle sign on the left side below the hammer.

The Serial Number is: 461336 and yours is 461579, so your Beretta was made in 1940 very shortly after mine.

My father was an Officer in the Italian Air Force and acquired that gun in August 1943 (during World War II) from the Air Force Warehouse in Rome.

The Crown and Eagle sign mean that the guns were made for the (then) Royal Italian Air Force (as correctly stated by Jim Watson in his answer to your question).

The Roman letters XIX (=19) mean that 1940 was the 19th year of the Fascist government (established in the year 1922).

I hope the above information will help. Best regards,

Luvian