The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
810wmb

Case Head Separation

well, you learn something new everyday.

i never knew about this. needless to say, i came across a few yesterday after tumbling some brass.

the big problem? i have about 3000 rounds already loaded. in picking out a handful, i see many with this problem. there is no telling how many times some of this brass has been shot with this.

looks like i gotta pull a few hundred rounds...
Old January 11, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2
AlaskaMike

Not quite sure what you're talking about. I'm guessing you're seeing cases with a bright ring near the base when you were tumbling them? Or have you had case head separations when firing some of the loads from that batch of 3000?
Old January 11, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Tom68

You didn't post pics

whadda ya got, the bright shiny yellow ring, or are you actually experiencing cracking along the case web?

I learn a lot by reading these boards, and even discovered the paperclip method of determining case head thickness by reading here. If this is brass that's been fired in your own rifle(s), then your next step is determining what's causing that weakness, provided the cases haven't been fired a great deal of times.

I learned that lesson last year when I was getting those bright rings after only 3 or so uses: I was FL sizing each time and apparently setting the shoulder too far back, resulting in trimming +/- .005 each time they were used just to get back to max length. That lesson cost me more than a few dozen cases!
Old January 11, 2012, 12:34 PM   #4
810wmb

yep, the ring around the base. it's an outward crease. when i googled, this is what i came up with...about halfway down

http://headstampfinebrass.blogspot.com/

edit - this are 9mm rounds, fired from a pistol. most have been reloaded MANY times. i have reloaded and shot brass with this without even knowing.
Old January 11, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
zxcvbob

I've had case head separations shooting magnum revolvers, and it's no big deal in that platform. In a semiauto or a rifle, one could probably ruin your day really quick.

You said 9mm, and I've never seen the bright ring on a 9mm case even after it's loaded more times than I can count (if I was counting.) Have you tried the paperclip thing? You may be misreading a mark made by your sizing die. Look at the picture of the sectioned case on that web page; do you see how thick the case web is on a 9mm? If it was going to separate, it would do so above the web.
Old January 11, 2012, 01:13 PM   #6
810wmb

"Have you tried the paperclip thing?"

sir, i think you have just made my day! the fired brass i pulled out of the pile, DO NOT have the crease on the inside!

i do believe you are right, i think it's the sizing die.
Old January 11, 2012, 01:45 PM   #7
savagelover

When the brass stretches it will cause this to happen as well..
Old January 11, 2012, 02:07 PM   #8
810wmb

but the bottom line - if there is no crease on the inside of the case, it's good to go, correct?
Old January 11, 2012, 03:46 PM   #9
chris in va

Pretty much, yes. I also reload 9mm and my sizing die will make that shiny spot on the exterior of the case.
Old January 11, 2012, 06:10 PM   #10
810wmb

thanks guys, i really appreciate it!
Old January 11, 2012, 07:40 PM   #11
PA-Joe

How could you have 3000 reloaded rounds and not know how many times they have been reloaded? You should be processing them in batchs and keeping a record on how many time they have been reloaded and with what. Rule 1 keep detailed records on everything you reload.

What you are most likely seeing is the ring that forms at the bottom of the sizing die. This is not headspace separation. You have to check the inside of the case for separation.
Old January 11, 2012, 08:00 PM   #12
810wmb

well joe, because i didn't know any better.

that was suggested to me today by the guy that got me into reloading..like i said, you learn something everyday

edit - as far as the data..i've only used two different powders and once i found a good load, i've stayed with it...so they are pretty much all the same
Old January 11, 2012, 08:17 PM   #13
scsov509

Quote:
How could you have 3000 reloaded rounds and not know how many times they have been reloaded? You should be processing them in batchs and keeping a record on how many time they have been reloaded and with what. Rule 1 keep detailed records on everything you reload.
I keep records of what I shoot through my rifles, but pistol brass simply gets shot until it either splits a neck or gets lost. YMMV...