The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 9, 2010, 03:02 PM   #1
shredder4286

Opinions on Hornady LnL Single Stage

I've heard so much about the rock chucker, lee classic ect- single stage presses, but haven't really heard anybody talk about the Hornady Lock-n-load single stage press. i got one before i shipped out because it was on sale, and i've heard great things about Hornady. I figured for rifle, i'd start out w/ a single stage because of the accuracy factor, and simplicity, since i'm new to rolling my own. Anyone have any personal experience w/ this piece?
Old July 9, 2010, 03:35 PM   #2
totaldla

Nope - no personal experience. However, I believe you should buy the Lee Classic Turret instead of any single-stage. It's just a flat better design and value.
Old July 9, 2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Fox1

I just got one and I had to buy a bunch of the twist lock bushings for all the dies I wanted to use in it.
At first I was worried about them but they lock in tight and it makes it easier to change dies quickly.
I suppose if a person didn't want to pick up a bunch of those bushings you could probably just Lock Tite one into place like one of my buddies did.
As far as using it, I love it.
Old July 9, 2010, 04:55 PM   #4
engineermike

I have the Lock N Load classic press by Hornady and It works just fine. I really like the L N L die bushings as it makes it a snap to change out the dies. I like the single stage press as I can watch my loadings. If you are looking for more speed and still watching what you are loading I would go with a turret press but instead of the L N L die bushings you have to by the turret head plates for the press you are using unless you want to use only one head plate and take out one set of dies and put in another. I might also add that all I have loaded with my press is pistol ammo no rifle.

Mike
Old July 9, 2010, 07:33 PM   #5
BigJakeJ1s

If you don't want to use the LNL bushings, CH4D makes threaded bushings to replace the female LNL bushing on the press.

The LNL Classic is well made, and on par with the RCBS RC, or the Lyman.

Hornady makes a press conversion kit that will make many other single stage presses compatible with their QC die bushings. Most presses that have a threaded reducer bushing to take 7/8-14 dies will work with it.

Andy
Old July 9, 2010, 09:12 PM   #6
pedweld

I have a LNL and love it. The die replacement bushings are very repeatable, and I recently bought the priming tubes and these work extremely well.

I would recommend it.
Old July 10, 2010, 02:58 AM   #7
shredder4286

good to hear that those of you who have one enjoy using it i've already got one, just have to wait til i get back so i can set it up, and get all the components for it. so, let me see if i understand the LnL bushings. you get a LnL quick change bushing for each of your dies, (resizing, bullet seating) and it allows you to just pop them in an out, once you have them adjusted properly, right?
Old July 10, 2010, 03:22 AM   #8
engineermike

Yes, just put them in a 1/4 turn to the right or left depending on if you want them in or out. Lock nut keeps them where you want them. I believe any die will fit into them.
Old July 16, 2010, 06:36 PM   #9
noylj

L-N-L press

I really like the bushings. I thought at first it was no big deal. I had been removing and adjusting dies for years. After I started using them, I made a mass purchase of bushings.
I hear a lot of recommendations for a turret press, but never saw the advantage. My personal recommendation for presses is the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press if you are just starting and money is tight and you aren't sure if you will like reloading, then the Hornady L-N-L single stage or the Forster Co-Ax (I really love the Forster with its universal shell holder and slot to just slide the die into--it is the best and so ignored), the Hornady L-N-L progressive (I really prefer it to the Dillon 550/650--and I don't want to hear from Dillon users unless they have personal experience with the Hornady), and finally, when you are as crazy as I am, the Dillon 1050 (lots of Dillon 1050s--you can never have too many 1050s).
My points for the L-N-L progressive: the press is relatively simple and you can load just a couple of rounds as easily as hundreds, the primer system works very well (I have had trouble with the 550 and 650), it is more ergonomic to me than the Dillons (unless you get the case feeders), and caliber conversion is super fast, easy, and less expensive than the Dillon.
Everybody I know who has a Dillon loves it and they all end up buying several. I went for over 20 years with just the one Hornady press (starting when they first came out as the Pro-7 or such and Hornady upgraded as I felt the need for the latest and greatest). I bought it to start with because it was the first 5 station progressive that was affordable (couldn't afford a Star) and never felt like there was another press that had as many positives and few negatives as the Hornady. The present one is just about perfect, it just isn't a 1050. Hornady has always given me the same great support that Dillon gives me and never saw any reason to be jealous the Dillon's "No BS" warranty as Hornady treats their presses as though they come with same implied warranty.
For me, right now, the big benefit for Dillon is that I am just 2 hours away and can take my presses in for any repairs/adjustment/cleaning that I need. Needless to say, though, there is no "No BS" warranty on the 1050s since so many people use them commercially and abuse them. However, they have worked on them and replaced some parts for free anyway since they can see that my presses are not abused (and, I believe, a complete rework on a 1050 is only $100, which isn't bad for a $1500 press). I would say the 1050 primer system is as reliable as the Hornady, even with being more complicated.
Old August 22, 2010, 08:03 PM   #10
bj426

I've had no issues with mine. Seemingly fantastic quality.
Old August 22, 2010, 08:32 PM   #11
LOUD

I just got the Hornady single stage Classic and I cant comment on how good it is yet, Ive not had the time to use it ,but if its like the quality built into the LnL AP , "which is what I started with" I know its going to be great. I kind of went backwards in staring with a progressive and then going single stage but I started shooting alot of pistol ammo and then branched out to a large rifle . Hornady's customer service is second to none!!! they Are wonderful to work with, I wont own anything but Hornady ,Im not trying to downplay other manufacturers as I have not used their products but I stick with what I know and Hornady cant be beat. I have broken a die ( MY fault ) and they sent me replacement parts at no cost and quickly too . They truly take care of their customers and will help in a flash .Nothing but Hornady for me!!!!! You will love the die bushings.
Old August 23, 2010, 02:54 AM   #12
noylj

Hornady L-N-L single-stage press

Never used it, but here is my opinion:
It is an excellent press ($132 at MidwayUSA). It is superior to the Lee Challenger ($52 at MidwayUSA) in feel and ease of use, I am sure, but probably not more than twice as good. If you are just getting into reloading and want to buy a L-N-L single-stage, buy the kit. Everything is first class.
If I wanted to spend that much for a single-stage press, I would seriously consider saving a little more and buy the Forster Co-Ax ($241 at MidwayUSA). However, Forster does not have a kit.
The Co-Ax has a universal shell-holder and the dies simply slide into a groove. No bushings or shell holders to buy. You adjust the die, lock the ring in place, and never adjust the die again.
I used it for years (until Hornady came out with their first AP). I would deprime each case while I sorted and inspected them. This was easy with the universal shell holder. This way, I was cleaning unprimed brass and, whether I needed to or not, I was getting a lot of the ash out of the primer pocket.
Then, I would slide my previously adjusted sizing die into the press and size all my cases. I primed and charged the cases off of the press.
When I got my progressive, the Co-Ax just did depriming of cases and my rifle loads.
Right now, except for arbor presses and benchrest shooters, I see the single-stage field consisting of the Lee Challenger Breech-lock (bushings like the Hornady) at the low end and the Co-Ax at the upper. Can't see any reason for any other press except for budget constraints.
You can go to the Lee Turret with auto-indexing. That seems like the least expensive press that would actually increase production rate of bottleneck rounds while allowing easy inspection of various case parameters after sizing and after bullet seating.
For straight wall cases, if you need something faster than a single-stage, I would look at the Hornady L-N-L AP or, if you like to mess around mechanically, the Lee LoadMaster. If you need something better than the Hornady, you will need to go to the Dillon 1050 or an older Star press.
Old August 26, 2010, 07:47 PM   #13
Dodge DeBoulet

Does anyone here have both a Hornady LNL AP and a LNL single-stage?

If yes, do the dies need to be adjusted in the LNL bushings when moved from the AP to the single-stage and vice versa (assuming you're loading for the same bullet and COAL in both)?

I was thinking of adding a single-stage to my setup so that I could work up loads for one caliber while I had the AP set up for loading another. If I have to reset the dies in their bushings when I switch them from one press to the other, though, there wouldn't be that significant a time savings.
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
- Charles Austin Beard
Old August 26, 2010, 10:15 PM   #14
shredder4286

Quote:
Does anyone here have both a Hornady LNL AP and a LNL single-stage?

If yes, do the dies need to be adjusted in the LNL bushings when moved from the AP to the single-stage and vice versa (assuming you're loading for the same bullet and COAL in both)?

I was thinking of adding a single-stage to my setup so that I could work up loads for one caliber while I had the AP set up for loading another. If I have to reset the dies in their bushings when I switch them from one press to the other, though, there wouldn't be that significant a time savings.
check out gavintoobe on youtube, he has a whole bunch of videos on LnL classic and AP, and talks about interchanging the dies, and calibrating them both, i'm sure he'll answer your question.
Old August 26, 2010, 11:42 PM   #15
Bruno2

Location: Not saying b/c I dont want any of you crazy people to rob or kill me. Alright it's Tulsa , Oklahoma
Hornady makes great products and has some of the best customer service out there.
Old August 27, 2010, 07:18 AM   #16
Real Gun

Quote:
Get a duplicate die, maybe 30 bucks.
Old August 27, 2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Dodge DeBoulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun
Get a duplicate die, maybe 30 bucks.
Yeah, but that'll cost me, say, 30 bucks. For each caliber.
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
- Charles Austin Beard
Old August 27, 2010, 03:41 PM   #18
oneounceload

Quote:
Yeah, but that'll cost me, say, 30 bucks. For each caliber.
Make that cartridge........
Old August 27, 2010, 07:57 PM   #19
LOUD

I own both the Hornady LNL AP and the single stage classic but I cant answer your question about being able to switch between them without resetting the dies, However that is an interesting question, In the next couple of days I will set up the classic with my .223 dies that were adjusted for the LNL AP and let you know.....LOUD
Old August 28, 2010, 04:37 PM   #20
HiBC

I called Hornady long ago and asked the question about press to press tolerances on the bushings.They said,No,it would be too costly to hold the tolerances that tight.A toolmaker with time on his hands could adjust the height of all stations on both presses,but if you had to pay him,you could buy a lot of duplicate dies.
My L-N-L single stage is old,and perhaps they have improved the priming system.If so,good.My experience with my press,the priming feed system was not good.I have another press with an RCBS system I use or I use a hand priming tool.
Old August 28, 2010, 08:51 PM   #21
Huskerguy

LNL on sale at Midway

Just received my Midway flier today and right on the front page was the Hornady LNL Progressive for $385 I believe. I drooled for a bit and showed my wife, she wasn't nearly as excited as I was.

Count me in the group still trying to decided between a Dillons,probably the 550 and the LnL. The fact I can use all of my current dies makes me tend to lean towards the LnL but I will probably think about it until they go off sale.
Old August 29, 2010, 08:33 PM   #22
roc1

I have the AP and the single stage presses from Hornady. The dies will not interchange from one to the other the AP is a lot larger. Both are great machines. Hornady has great CS as well as Dillon which I also have one of.
roc1
Old August 29, 2010, 09:56 PM   #23
noylj

The 550 and the 650 require you to load the empty case into the shellplate with your right hand. I found the 650 very uncomfortable and tell anyone thinking of buying one to get the case feeder.
I would not like the 550. It does not have auto-indexing (i.e., the shell plate does not automatically advance on the down stroke but must be manually turned). I consider it a safety issue for myself as I could double stroke, forgetting about the shellplate not having automatically advanced. Others don't like auto-indexing as they must be in control of the press at all times. It is whatever floats your boat.
I consider the L-N-L to be the ideal for a progressive that will be used to load several different calibers. To change calibers, all you do is switch shellplates and change dies. With the bushing system, you don't have to buy multiple toolheads. The dies stay in the bushings and everything returns to your previous setting. The only die you have to adjust is the seating die if you change bullets or you want a different COL (OAL).
I never had any problem with the primer feed, but someone has problems with every primer feed out there. You have keep the system clean. The only problem I had was the primer seating stem is T-shaped such that when it goes up to seat the bullet, a gap appears and a speck of powder or dirt can get inside and not let the seating stem return. This hangs up the press. You clear the cases, remove the primer seater and clean it out. You should also clean out under the shellplate so it doesn't happen again.
All progressive have two weaknesses: the primer feed system and spilled powder getting into the works. The rule is NEVER force anything and always completely clean up and spill before it spreads around the shellplate.
Old August 30, 2010, 10:36 AM   #24
demigod

I love my LNL classic. I bought it to complement my Dillon 550. The bushing set up is what sold me on the press.

I can literally change calibers and dies in like 3 seconds. This is very handy when you get an oddball case that needs a primer kicked out or whatever.
Old August 30, 2010, 10:52 AM   #25
Real Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by demigod
I love my LNL classic. I bought it to complement my Dillon 550. The bushing set up is what sold me on the press.

I can literally change calibers and dies in like 3 seconds. This is very handy when you get an oddball case that needs a primer kicked out or whatever.
I saved $40 by getting the Lee Classic cast, which will take the Hornady adapters instead of the Lee version known as "breech lock".