The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 24, 2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Model12Win

12 Gauge Dummy Rounds?

Hello friends! It's come to my attention that I have a home defense pump shotgun that I need to practice more often with, particularly in the area of reloading the tube magazine. I though it would be a simple manner to find some 12 gauge 2 3/4" dummy rounds on the internet, but not so. I'm not in the market for snap caps, those are easy to find. I want something that will replicate the actual weight and feel of a true 12 gauge round, so preferably something made with a real hull and brass base and filled with some kind of shot or weight.

I have searched all over, and all I can find are either snap caps of various kinds or certain dummy rounds that have a brass base but have a hollow orange body that I've read don't weigh the same as a real shell. I have seen some promising pictures of Fiocchi and Remington dummy rounds that look ideal. They look to be made from real shell components and both are filled with about 1 oz. of lead shot. BUT, I cannot find either of these for sale. All websites with these listed all say "out of stock". I've also tried E-bay with no luck either.

So can somebody please point me in the direction in finding realistic 12 gauge dummy rounds? If anyone has any for sale, please let me know. I'm in the market for at least 25 shells. Thanks!
Old November 24, 2013, 02:07 PM   #2
Bailey Boat

I just happen to have a box of 25 that I made myself. They weigh exactly as much as a regular shell and have a bright orange dot in the crimp to indicate they are inactive. 2.75" WW hull. 40.00 shipped to lower 48. PM if interested.
Old November 24, 2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Chad.C

Bailey boat has the right idea I was about to say make you own but if you could just buy some thats even better
Old November 24, 2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Model12Win

Apparently Fiocchi doesn't make there dummy rounds anymore. I wonder why this is? I can't imagine there wouldn't be a market for them. Not sure if Remington still makes theirs. I find it odd these are so hard to find. I would have thouigh they'd be everywhere.

I could always make my own, but I would prefer a factory product as they are clearly marked as "dummy rounds" and have a unique look that would be almost impossible to mix up with live ammo.
Old November 24, 2013, 03:17 PM   #5
g.willikers

Without meaning to sabatogue Bailey Boat, dummy shotgun rounds are real easy to make.
Open the crimp, dump the powder, hull and powder.
Pop the primer, with a punch and hammer.
Replace the powder with an equal volume of filler.
Replace the hull and shot.
Cover with a thin wad, (cardboard is ok).
Close the crimp.
Dat's it.
Old November 24, 2013, 03:28 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

AZOOMS are training rounds and work perfectly for your needs
Old November 24, 2013, 03:28 PM   #7
BigJimP

A Zoom ....makes a snap cap / that is really a dummy round for a number of centerfire rounds and shotguns....but they're about $ 5.25 each....

http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/home/pdf/Azoom.pdf

and they'll be that purple color they use - so its clear they're a dummy round..

------------------
You'd be way better off ....to talk to a reloader at your local club....they'll just use a fired hull ...( punch out spent primer and resize the hull, instead of a new primer in the hull, they can put the spent primer back in and seat it ...something light to fill in where the powder would be ( like 15 grains or so )....and put in a wad and shot ...and crimp...( 10 - 15 cents per shell will easily cover their component expense )

buy them a box of new shells for their trouble - of the brand they like...or whatever....its really not a big deal.
Old November 25, 2013, 12:43 AM   #8
Locoweed

A while back I ordered a box of 25 Remington 12 ga dummies from Brownell's. I received my order okay but a couple months after that I received a notice from Brownell's that the dummies had been discontinued. If you know someone who reloads shotgun shells maybe you can get them to cobble some up for you.
Old November 25, 2013, 01:38 AM   #9
Dreaming100Straight

Any chance the maker was catching flak for not being licensed to sell ammunition in interstate commerce? See http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/i...mmunition.html

It is CS as can be, but I can see a problem being created by some bureaucrat if the dummy rounds have inert primers. The code doesn't define primer to exclude other than live primers.

Fiochi dummy rounds lacked a live or inert primer, but supposedly they are no longer made or at least shipped to the USA. May be just a business decision based on a lack of profit.

Someone on E-Bay is selling some made without primers made to weight the same as live shells. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bs-DRY-FIRE-...item4612c80006

Last edited by Dreaming100Straight; November 25, 2013 at 01:53 AM.