The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 14, 2013, 08:33 PM   #1
F23Blackwidow2

To scatter, or not to scatter... That is the question

Hello everyone. I'm saving up for my 2nd gun ( I already got a .22). I have narrowed down the choices to 3 guns (in 2 categories).

The M1 Garand from The Cmp

The Mossberg 500

The Remington 870

I will eventually own both, but I'm still young, stupid, and poor .
I also am leaning towards the M1 because who knows when the supply will run out?!?!? But a 12 gauge shotgun is one of the most versatile guns.

Like I said, I will eventually own the M1 and one of the shotguns, but which one do I buy 1st.

Thanks
Ken B.
Old March 14, 2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Jo6pak

In the current political climate, I would get the M1.
Old March 15, 2013, 09:17 AM   #3
jrothWA

Get a piece of history...

get the M1 Garand and find a CMP training match for shooting over the course (aka: National Match course - 2,3, & 600 yds).

Expand from there.

Shotguns are easier to acquire and use. but its your decision.

Enjoy and GOOD LUCK!
Old March 15, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd vote for the M1, since good used 870s will be around forever.
Old March 16, 2013, 03:58 PM   #5
Toolman

I'd vote for the traditional Garand. Once you shoot one you'll know why. Springfield is making new ones again,,,,offshore I hear...I haven't heard reports on them yet.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Picher

I wish you hadn't narrowed your rifle choice to an M1 and wonder what criteria you used or what you want the rifle to do for you.

If you want it for range shooting, it's a bit much to shoot a lot. If you want it for hunting, most states limit semi-auto rifle capacity to 5 rounds. It's difficult to modify a stripper clip to 5 rounds, probably more difficult to modify the rifle to hold only 5.

Don't take me wrong. I like military rifles, but like commercial ones more. Why? Well, I shoot scoped rifles almost exclusively. I like bolt-action rifles and have practiced extensively working the bolt from shooting position and am pretty fast, though rarely need more than one shot.

I can't tell you how many times I've lusted for an M1 or M1 Carbine, but after using my brother's carbine for several years, I'm over that. At my age, nearly 70, the M1 isn't going to do much for me, and I'd like to say I have one, but it's not likely to happen.

So, tell me. Why don't you want, say, a modern bolt-action that would cost less than the M1, be more accurate, lighter to carry, and available in many different calibers?
Old April 1, 2013, 11:19 AM   #7
F23Blackwidow2

They sell 5 round M1 clips at Fulton armory, and other places, so that's not a problem.

The reason why I narrowed my choices to those 2 was because I'm in shooting for the fun of it, and that fun includes the history. The M1 has HISTORY! The shotgun was because I love trap shooting. Those are my reasons.

Ken B.
Old April 1, 2013, 11:51 AM   #8
stu925

Another vote for the M1 Garand. If you plan on ever owning one now is the time unless you want to pay gun show prices later on down the line. I don't know how many rifles may be left at the CMP but I do know they are back logged somewhere around 60 days or so. I wouldn't hesitate if I were you, fill out the paperwork and get the ball rolling.

Stu
Old April 1, 2013, 12:24 PM   #9
L_Killkenny

There's 2 guns everyone needs, a .22lr rifle and a pump shotgun. Pick your poison between the 500 and the 870, I pick the 870.
Old April 2, 2013, 01:40 PM   #10
TX Hunter

I would get the M1, ofcourse Your on a Rifle Forum.
Old April 2, 2013, 02:50 PM   #11
SIGSHR

Yes, the M-1, the Mossberg and Remington are pretty easy to find.
Old April 2, 2013, 04:36 PM   #12
DaleA

Oh heck, why not pile on?

Get the M1.

I agree with your reasoning that they are a piece of history and might be harder to get in the future.
Old April 2, 2013, 06:55 PM   #13
hgmeyer

For fun today

For fun today and to develop your skills...get the shotgun. The .22 will get you shooting cheaply to develop your rifle skills. And, if you want an 870, I would strongly encourage you to get a used older Wingmaster 870. I see too many disassembled 870s Express models at the public range. Or, .... for the small sum of $220 (give or take a few$$$) you can get an entry level H&R Pardner 12ga with choke tubes (one, usually modified) and be shooting trap and saving money to get that CMP Garand. The H&R ain't pretty but it will go bang!