The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2013, 10:52 PM   #1
SLF1946

Reloading 30-30 and 30-06

I previously reloaded, but it has been years ago. I used Dupont 4895 powder then. It is not available now. I am also loading, in addition to the title, Glock mod 27, 40 cal, a Colt trooper 357 mag.

I prefer using the new flex tip 150 gr bullets for the Marlin 30-30, as opposed to the flat nose 150 bullet I used to use.
also
I used 150 speer boat tail bullets in the BAR 30-06

Can anyone give me some information as to the best powder type and grain ranges to start using in my guns now.

Anyone know where powder and primers can be bought? All the stores here are sold out
Old March 10, 2013, 12:03 AM   #2
Tom68

I hate to say such a cliché, but welcome to the club as far as components go. If you spend ANY time on reloading forums you'll hear endless bellyaching about no primers being available (bullets, brass, and most powders are in short supply, too, as far as I know). I'm currently deployed to Kuwait, so i'm not in stores to see for myself....I'm just hoping the supply catches back up with demand before I get home!

Dupont 4895 powder is still sold under the name IMR 4895 (part of the same group that owns Winchester, IMR, and Hodgdon powders. in fact their website contains load data for all three powder families.) Just be sure to use updated published load data for any handloading...as I am sure there are some subtle changes over the years between the Dupont and IMR 4895. and not necessarily limited to Dupont powders...I understand that many powder manufacturers have made chemical changes over the years while retaining the powder's name... so the only safe bet is to use current published data from reputable sources, start with the minimum load and work up looking for overpressure signs.

I like IMR 4895 for .30/06 in my milsurp rifles...and that's probably more of a nostalgia thing with me as the original M2 .30 Cal ball cartridge used the Dupont 4895. It works just fine in my M1903A3 and M1917 (I don't currently load for the M1, but I will when my stash of Pyrkal M2 runs out). I load mine up rather mild in deference to the age of the rifles, and with the M1917, get 2"-3" accuracy. I have not, however, read too many other members here who prefer IMR 4895 for .30/06... IMR 4350 is one that I see listed quite frequently, among others. I haven't yet started loading .30-30 (just bought dies right before I deployed), but without having studied loading data, you may find that there aren't a whole lot of powders that work equally well in 30-30 and .30/06. I think the lower pressure 30-30 works better with a faster burning powder (IMR 4064 is one that I frequently see.) A quick look at the Hodgdon site shows data for IMR 4895 for a 150 grain bullet in the .30-30... so it may be a touch fast for some folks in the .30-06, but it could work well for you in the .30-30.

I'm making a somewhat educated guess on this, but if you're looking for maximum performance (whatever that means to you, be it velocity, accuracy, or a combination of both) you likely will find a specific powder for each of the two cartridges.

I'm going to be less help in your handgun cartridges, as I have less experience here. .40 Cal was my first HG cartridge that I loaded, and I started with Titegroup....and then immediately read many folks claiming that to be a risky choice due to the low fill and high potential for a double-charge. well, I had no problems, and double-checked my work before seating bullets, but I have subsequently switched to W231 in the .40...which also works well for me in the .357 magnum, although I have more recently used A2400 in the .357.

I suppose I could have provided a more concise response by suggesting that you scan over lots of posts to see which powders for each cartridge that lots of folks are using, in order to narrow down your initial purchasing. There are so many choices out there (albeit when they are actually available!!) that the possibilities are endless....and if you are looking for your firearm's special load, then you could be buying LOTs of different powders, so it would help to try to narrow the field a little bit. if you have any loading companions who may have some powders on hand, that may be a possibility to try a particular powder without having to drop $20-30 on a product that may just sit on the shelf forever after having been tried and found not to be a good performer.

hope this helps somewhat...good luck and be safe!
Old March 10, 2013, 12:12 AM   #3
Boomer58cal

I love 4895. Both IMR AND Hogden. They are both similar to the dupont. I prefer the IMR myself. With the 30-30 I'd start with about 28g with a max off about 32g. For the 30-06 and IMR with 150g bullet 46g as a start an 51g as a max. Approach 51g with carefully as I don't know what gun your using or it's condition. If using Hogdon 4895 you'll generally subtract a grain or so from these numbers. As always start low and work your way up.

As for the pistols a generally like A 2400. I can't remember the loads off hand so I'll edit when I get them. I don't like giving loads unless I'm sure.
Old March 10, 2013, 01:00 AM   #4
TXGunNut

I like both IMR and Hodgdon powders but seem to get better results from Hodgdon. My 30-06 likes H4350 but as soon as this shortage nonsense eases I want to try 4895 in a cartridge or two, namely the 30WCF and 32WS.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Boomer58cal

Here's 357mag with Allient 2400 10.3g to start and 12.3 as a max. As always start low and work up safely.

As for the .40 s&w I don't have a load for 2400 yet as I haven't loaded them yet. I will at some point though because my brother has one. If you find a powder you want to try I'd say get a few reloading books. I like Hornady, spear and Nosler. The Nosler seems to give a little hotter loads.

If you try 4350 in your 30-06 you can probably get a few extra fps but it takes a bit more powder. I like IMR 4350. With 150g bullet you should start with 55g and work up to 59g as a max. I load 65g IMR 4350 in my 7mm mag and like it. Very flat shooting and pin point accurate.

Hope that help. Start low. Work up slow. I don't want to see you on the 6:00 news