The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 10, 2013, 03:27 AM   #1
ZVP

WHat to buy?

I have the cash, got the nod of approval from the spouse that the checkbook will survive ammo costs (me with a new gun costs a lot cause I shoot em a lot!), and now comes the hardest part choosing...
I'd like another Snubbie (who wouldn't?). Though an adjustable sighted 4" would be nice, There is that sweet new German made S/a .22/ .22Mag and there is even a possibility of buying a Glock 17 and even a Ruger Target autoloader .22 would ne nice!
So how does a guy make up his mind?
Home and Personal Defense is a major part of the decision and even that .22Mag makes sense. I have several Pocket guns but a +P.38 always has it's appeal. There are literally 8 to 10 possibles on the .38 Special market.
Smith makes the best sense to me when buying a new Snubbie because they have so many models! Though Tarus has some dandy prices and the warranty and features make them palletable. Colt dosen't have too much to offer at reasonable prices. Rugers are heavy but built to handle anything!
This is going to be a purchase just for my appreciation and enjoyment since I already have all the basic want's in .22 and .38/.357.
I need to do this before gun confiscation and maybe the "Blue Helmets" march in the streets. I want to enjoy it for a while.
Heck I even considered a Stainless Ruger Bearcat just because I always wanted one of the tiny S/A's.
Making your mind up when you really don't need another handgun is ahard thing to do!!!
Ah but what fun it is!
ZVP
Old January 10, 2013, 03:59 AM   #2
Xfire68

If it were for fun shooting some of those would be great choices but, aside from .22 being your only option for SD I would not head down that road.

.22 mag does have some SD value but, not enough if other options can be had.

You already have a snubie so no need to get another other then collecting.

SD Glock 17,21,22
Old January 10, 2013, 04:42 AM   #3
warningshot

9 mil only. No 40 S&W or 45acp...too expensive to shoot.

Ruger SR9C or Walther PPS. These are new models that look promising. If your predictions prove half way true, then these models will be in very short supply.
Old January 10, 2013, 07:16 AM   #4
bigghoss

First of all what is your budget? If defense is a use and you are considering a glock 17 reconsider and get a 19. Better suited to carry but you can still attach a light to it and keep it on the nightstand at night. And you can use G17 mags in it. 9mm ammo is cheaper than .38 special and anything smaller is inadequate.

My top picks would be a G19 or a 9mm M&P, preferably used to save on cost. After that would be a Smith SD9, ruger P-series, a German-built Sig, or Beretta.

If you get a revolver stick to Smith&wesson, Ruger, or Colt. .41 magnum, .44 special, .44magnum, and .45 colt get expensive so hold off on a wheelgun in those calibers until you can reload. Stick to a .38/.357, 9mm, or .45acp revolver.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:11 AM   #5
SgtLumpy

If you enjoy shooting a lot, consider finding .22's in the same frame and styles that you have for your larger pistols. eg If you've got the snubbie of your dreams in .38, then get the exact same gun in .22. Then shoot a thousand rounds of 22 for every fifty rounds of 38. Hones your skills and doesn't break your bank.

That could be even more practical for rifles. At costs approaching $2 per round for .308 match cartridges, shooting a similar rifle in .22 would keep your skills up without spending several hundred dollars per range trip.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq