The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2012, 10:19 AM   #1
shotgunpet

Lee pro 1000 Hex Nut

Does anyone make this part in something more durable then plastic? I am de-priming near 2-3k a day and Lee states that the hex nut could only last an average of 5k cases.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:13 PM   #2
okiefarmer

I might be playing dumb here, then again, maybe not, but what plastic hex nut are you talking about? I can't see one on mine.
Old December 18, 2012, 12:23 PM   #3
the jigger

Hex nut?

If you are talking about the lock nut get RCBS lock nuts. They are steel with set screw and work fine on Lee dies. I use them on the few Lee dies that I still use.
Old December 18, 2012, 04:28 PM   #4
5R milspec

I think he is talking about the index plastic part ( gear ) for indexing the shell holder to its right spot.Well its made of plastic for a reason,the reason is to keep from messing up other parts.One might could make it out of brass but to me I wouldn't.

I think and am just guessing that a good old clean up in this area will help.Even a little grease in a few good places should help out.Powder gets into this area on mine so keeping it clean has helped out a lot for me.Now I am not running the numbers as you said.I run a lot smaller number at one time,1000 at a time would be the most for me.Oh one more thing,you might be putting to much pressure on the shell holder when tighting it up.( if you had removed it or changed it out with another ) BUT this would cause the shell holder to be some what in a bind causeing trouble.( your gear/hex nut )
Old December 19, 2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Jimro

If you are pulling the handle 2 to 3 thousand times a day I'd say that replacing the nylon indexing piece is something you should just get used to doing.

Although I've got over 4k on my pro1000 and replaced the hex nut only when I do did a deep clean and lube. It's funny that the replacement didn't change how the press operated at all, so no noticeable wear after 3k for me. I wouldn't worry about getting only 5k out of one, use it until it wears out. Sometimes I think Lee puts out numbers like that just to keep expectations low.

Jimro
Old December 19, 2012, 04:48 PM   #6
LarryFlew

I do a cleanup about every 2000 rounds. Just did one at 8000 and the nut still looks fine so I left it. Time will tell but cleaned and lubed keeps things going a long time.
Old December 19, 2012, 07:54 PM   #7
5R milspec

well we have all left great info,what happened to you I guess you fixed it or said what the heck who knows
Old December 20, 2012, 06:35 AM   #8
Sevens

I replaced one FINALLY on mine.

I had processed like 35,000 on it since I got it, and I bought it used. No idea how many before I got it.
I've got 2 or 3 more of them in a bag.

This isn't something I'd get all too worried about, but YMMV.