The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 12, 2012, 05:33 AM   #26
Master Blaster 2

Yep it was me...sorry.

Old September 12, 2012, 10:27 AM   #27
Wyoredman

Master,

I'm not picking on the .50 guys, I like shooting them as well! My hunting partner just purchased a funky looking single shot from a maker in Montana! and yes, I quizzed him about shooting my targets, wasnt him, he doesn't have a scope yet.

I know for sure, though, that it was a BIG gun of some sort, as there are .50 call holes in the 300 yrd OSB (plywood)!

BTW-that rifle looks super fun!

I bet you bring your own targets when you shoot you BMG's, and don't destroy the permanent range targets. Good shooting.
Old September 12, 2012, 06:52 PM   #28
ltc444

Until i moved to my Eastern AZ property I was stuck with using informal target ranges. I utilized a system which a buddy of my from College and the Army developed.

I stretch about 2' of Chicken wire between two pieces of Rebar or T-Post. Then roll the wire and post up.

When I get to the range I simply unroll the chicken wire and pound the post into the ground. I clip the targets to the chicken wire with wooden clothes pins.

When done I pull the post and roll up the contraption again.

Cheap to make and handy to use.

One suggestion. Buy your own clothes pins. My wife really gets upset when I inadvertently destroy her good pins.

Last edited by ltc444; September 12, 2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: amend
Old September 13, 2012, 04:53 AM   #29
dodge

Currently I'm the range master for the club that I belong to and I'm also sick and tired of replacing the framework for the idiots that have to shoot them just to watch them fall over. I don't have a problem with folks that are sighting a rifle in and accidentally hit the framework but to sit there and deliberately shoot them off is another story all together. Not only is the club out of the money for replacing them but it ruins it for everybody else as they don't have anything to attach their targets to. It seems to be someone that just got a AR or AK that is doing it. Don't get me wrong I love my AR but I don't go around destroying the framework with it. In matter of fact just yesterday I rebuilt 2 so the people would have something to start getting their rifles sighted in for hunting season. I hope they will last until after deer season.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:54 AM   #30
thedudeabides

The reason I stopped going to a local indoor range was that idiots would shoot the metal target hangers (either intentionally or gross incompetence) and send fragments ricocheting back up range or just destroy the pulley mechanism and put parts of the range out of commission and drive prices up.

It's like spoiled kids.

When you're done with your toys, put them away and clean up after yourself.
Old September 13, 2012, 07:35 AM   #31
Double Naught Spy

As noed, other calibers will destroy a T-post and just because they were at 200 or 300 yard distances from the firing line does not mean they were shot from there.

Lay the targets down and 'gentlemen' will use and then leave as found? I think we already know a 'gentleman was not shooting and ruining the target and posts.

Some people expect others to take care of their mess? Why give them so much credit? They don't care if the mess is cleaned up or not.
Old September 13, 2012, 02:03 PM   #32
P5 Guy

Ratios

The number of inconsiderate people increases with the population. The ratio of good guys to twits remains the same.
What can one do?
Old September 13, 2012, 03:00 PM   #33
farmerboy

Dont let them use your land to shoot, hunt or fish. Or even trespass.
Old September 13, 2012, 03:30 PM   #34
Double Naught Spy

The OP is already a guest on the land. Are you saying he should not be allowed to shoot there after he managed to gain permission to shoot there?
Old September 13, 2012, 04:52 PM   #35
farmerboy

If you're the land owner and it turns out to be nothing but a head ache. I'd shut off everyone! Everytime I let buddies hunt my land, some idiot would break some rule. Very few rules and free and you're gonna mess that up. I've been hunting alone for last 15 years.
Old September 13, 2012, 04:58 PM   #36
45YearsShooting

How long do you think that game camera will last before it is stolen?

Slob are slobs. There is no fixing them. I tried calling the police on litterers, saying I am willing to testify. They didn't even bother with it. Too bad we all can't take the law into our own hands.
Old September 13, 2012, 05:43 PM   #37
Wyoredman

I am not the landowner. The landowner is a nice old rancher and allows many of his friends to shoot at his pit. I just decided to make it an actuall (sort of) range for everyone to use. Some one that doesn't have permission, at least they didn't ask the time the targets got destroyed, is the culprit.
Old September 13, 2012, 06:25 PM   #38
farmerboy

Don't matter what others do just keep being a responsible person and hopefully if anyone does get kicked off maybe the land owner will keep you. Beats the heck out of driving to a paid shooting range.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:34 AM   #39
treg

Last weekend I rode past a gravel pit where a couple guys and kids were shooting.

An hour later on the return trip the shooting had stopped so I went through the pit.

They were still there stealing gravel.