The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 11, 2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Brian76

union switch and signal

I recently inherited a union switch & signal 1911a1 and thought I would put a couple rounds through it before I put it up for good. When I load the mag it feels like the spring is shot. Would any replacement 1911 mag work or is there anyway to fix it?
Old February 11, 2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Jimmy10mm

That is a rare pistol and AFAIK worth it's weight in gold. Yes you could replace the mag spring but I wouldn't if it is the original mag. Any 1911 mag should work. Welcome to TFL. Photos would be greatly appreciated, eye candy y'know ......
Old February 11, 2011, 09:31 AM   #3
MadHatter1

I wouldn't fire that pistol until you have its condition assessed. Other than Singer, the US&S is the rarest 1911A1 out there. What you have is one of 5 thousand made, and probably worth at least $3k, assuming its all origional.
To get to your origional question, yes, any full-size 1911 magazine will work. They do make an Officers model 1911, the magazines are slightly smaller, and typicaly hold 6 rounds, instead of 7 or 8.
Old February 11, 2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Baba Louie

Brian, welcome to TFL.

If you are planning on shooting that US&S (nice inheritance BTW) take it to a local smith and have all springs replaced (at least looked at to determine their condition... which is probably old). Including the mag spring.

Shoot it sparingly, cause if it breaks... well, they ain't making 'em like that one anymore.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old February 11, 2011, 10:00 AM   #5
MadHatter1

Quote:
If you are planning on shooting that US&S (nice inheritance BTW) take it to a local smith and have all springs replaced (at least looked at to determine their condition... which is probably old). Including the mag spring.
NOOOOOO!!!
Do not replace ANYTHING on this pistol until someone familiar with WWII weapons (not the 24 year old 'gunsmith' at the local shop) determines exactly what you have i.e. is it all origional, arsenal rebuild, hacked by a kitchen-table smith and the overall condition of the pistol.
Just because the springs are old dosen't mean its unsafe or unable to function. Odds are, it doesn't need anything changed out. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If you have an all origional US&S, ant its in 75-80% condition, its worth at least $3k, probably more. Change all the springs, and it becomes a $1k shooter.
What you have is a very rare 1911 pistol. Altering it in any way will destroy the historical value of it.
There's nothing wrong with shooting it once in a while, I take my US&S out about once a year, put an magazine or 2 through it, and fondly remenber being 6 years old and my granddaddy teacing me to shoot with that pistol. But its not an everyday range gun
Old February 11, 2011, 10:01 AM   #6
cecILL

Don't do ANYTHING until you know what you have. This site has a special section just for USS: http://forums.1911forum.com/
Old February 11, 2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Brian76

I had a guy at scheels look at it and he said everything looks good on it, I guess he didn't check the mag. I'm not sure if i'm going to shoot it, if I do it would only be 50 rounds. I will try to post pics sometime this weekend.
Old February 11, 2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Locoweed

FIFTY ROUNDS !! Are you insane? Is this a troll?
Old February 11, 2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Brian76

I'm not trolling. I'm just trying to get info from people that know alot more about this gun than I do. If it's a bad idea to even shoot this gun then i'm not going to.
Old February 11, 2011, 11:21 AM   #10
MadHatter1

I don't believe is a bad idea to shoot it lightly.... 7-14 rounds every year or so. 50 rounds in one sitting is probably a little abusive.
At this point, you really don't know what you have. Get it looked at, and make your decisions from there
Old February 11, 2011, 11:25 AM   #11
highcaliberprovider

If you must pull the trigger, then use a mil surplus magazine. They should only cost you 8-10 bucks. If the mag matches, don't change the spring. The weapon is both historically and monetarily valuable. Preserve it for future generations of shooters.
Old February 11, 2011, 11:26 AM   #12
bossman

Don't shoot it and by all means keep it original, at least as you got it. Very rare, lucky you.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old February 11, 2011, 01:45 PM   #13
David the Gnome

Just to put this in perspective, during WWII 1.9 million 1911's were made. Of those 1.9 million, only 2.6% were made by Union Switch and Signal. There is only one manufacturer who's 1911's were more rare and that was Singer who only made 500 during the war.

What you have there is one extremely valuable piece of history. Please do some research and take your time in evaluating whether or not you really want to shoot or modify this firearm. If you just want a 1911 to shoot there are many cost effective options out there that don't involve potentially ruining such a valuable historical weapon.
Old February 11, 2011, 01:53 PM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Personally, I don't believe in guns that shouldn't be fired. Your gun however is exception. Do not fire it!

If this gun is all original, you've got a very rare, and expensive piece of history.

If you don't post some pictures, we will come and find you.
Old February 11, 2011, 02:02 PM   #15
scottl

Check out these pages for more info on WWII USGI 1911's

http://www.coolgunsite.com/
http://www.model1911a1.com/ (Has US&S page)
http://www.m1911info.com/

There are several 1911 USGI collectors over at 1911forum.Get some really good pics of it and post it up over there.They will tell you what you need to know.
Old February 11, 2011, 03:02 PM   #16
Rugerismisticness

Don't shoot it. It needs authentication, then a good storage. I'm no expert on antiques, but I would keep the finish and parts well oiled so they don 't rust or deteriorate even more.
Old February 11, 2011, 08:39 PM   #17
Brian76

Old February 11, 2011, 08:49 PM   #18
Brian76

Old February 11, 2011, 10:06 PM   #19
geetarman

deleted
Old February 11, 2011, 10:27 PM   #20
Jimmy10mm

Thanks. That is beautiful. It would probably be fine shooting it but as nice a shape as it is in I would probably not. I would lube it and wipe it down with a silicone gun cloth and put it in a really safe place.
Old February 11, 2011, 10:45 PM   #21
Kreyzhorse

I agree that its likely fine to fire, but like I posted earlier I wouldn't fire. That gun looks like it is excellent shape. Congrats on the gun and take care of it.
Old February 11, 2011, 11:00 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

I saw my first one a few weeks ago. A guy came in asking me to "check out" his gun and determine whether it was safe to fire. It was "a .45" that he wanted to carry while hiking.

So, I reached into the sock (it's always a sock) and pulled it free. Right as I saw the Swissvale marking, a little devil on my shoulder said, "offer him $700 for it." Of course, there wouldn't have been any hiding the look of astonishment on my face.

It had a little surface rust and no box. It wasn't pristine, so after cleaning it up, I let him shoot it. It's a military weapon: a few rounds of mild ball every now and then won't harm it.

After having it apart and looking at the machining, I can see that these things have value not just from scarcity, but from quality as well.

My advice? Keep it clean and oiled, and heck, run a few rounds through once a year or so.
Old February 12, 2011, 12:01 AM   #23
Auto426

If it is original and all of the numbers match, then you have a very valuable gun on your hands. They are highly sought after by collectors. Do not change any of the parts on the gun before you know exactly what you have.

Also, I have to agree with the others saying it should not be shot. These old pre-1945 guns had little or, in most cases, no heat treating done to their slides and frames. There are cases of guys cracking the frames and slides on these old guns by shooting them too much, and with a gun that valuable, its best not to take a chance. Just keep it clean, oiled, and leave it alone.
Old February 12, 2011, 12:05 AM   #24
gyvel

Quote:
What you have is one of 5 thousand made,
I believe that is FIFTY FIVE thousand made, not 5 thousand.
Old February 12, 2011, 12:07 AM   #25
Jim Watson

All of the numbers match?

What are you talking about, Auto? That is a funny foreign thing. American guns don't have numbers all over the place. Colt put the serial number on the slide for a while but not all the time and none of the contractors did. It takes knowledgeable inspection to tell that a USGI gun is correct and original. There was a thread on another board about a buyer who got auction fever on a pristine looking Navy issue 1911 that turned out to be a very pretty Turnbull reblue.