The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2010, 10:10 PM   #51
GeauxTide

I went from a Lyman Turret to the Lee. I agree with you that the priming mechanism seems to be rather light; however, I have been using Lee's AutoPrime kit for many years. My reloading steps leave grease on my fingers after case lube, so I left the press priming step out. Besides, the seating feel of the AP is wonderful. I'm also loading 9 rifle cartridges up to the 7mm Remington and the sizing effort is much less than the old Lyman.
Old November 6, 2010, 10:16 PM   #52
CrustyFN

Quote:
Respectfully, I disagree with both of you. I respect your feelings and opinions. I just have different ones.
Maybe it's late but I'm not sure what you disagree with. I also think the classic turret is a nice press and have owned one for close to five years.

Quote:
First, though, the jamming. I can jam my Classic Turret very reliably by short-stroking the press.
I agree. But you can cause problems with any press by short stroking it.

Quote:
owever, the Classic Turret has something that puts it above other turrets: Auto-Indexing.
IMO that's what puts the CT above other turrets for me. I like the auto indexing and I think it speeds up the process quite a bit. Like I said I have had my CT for close to five years. The safety prime took a little tinkering to get it set up right but once set up it has worked near flawless. I have loaded thousands of rounds in four calibers and am still on the original plastic ratchet. The couple of problems I did have were caused by the idiot pulling the handle. IMO it's not for everybody but if somebody can get by with 175 rounds per hour the LCT is hard to beat.
Old November 6, 2010, 11:48 PM   #53
NWPilgrim

If you get frequent jams and variable OAL length on the LCT then you really need to look at your technique. There is nothing inherent in the tool to cause this.

But if paying four times as much for a press solves your problem then good for you. I would rather read the instructions and buy components or more dies with my money.

Like CrustyFn I have been loading on the LCT for several years (after using a Challenger single stage for 15 years). I load 9mm, .38, .44, .40, .45, .223, .308, .30-06, 6.5x55 and used to load 9x18, .30-30 and 7.7 JAP. It puts out great ammo.

The only variance I used to get from loading on either single stage or LCT was from lube build up in the seating die and trying to crimp at the same time. Now I crimp in the fourth station and OAL is very consistent on the LCT.

And yes, if you use the press incorrectly, such as short stroking, you can jam the press. But then my Rem 870 pump doesn't work well with short stroking either and I have never heard anyone blame the shotgun for this operator error.

I am sure Dillon presses are great machines but that doesn't mean the Lee is not. A huge leap in price sure as heck ought to buy something. But comparing a full progressive to a turret press appears rather uninformed about reloading.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 6, 2010, 11:59 PM   #54
Xfire68

NWPilgrim, I am with you on the LCT being a fantastic tool and I would be the first to say I love mine as it works perfect every time I use it! But, even I have just purchased a Hornady L-N-L AP press as I have always wanted one and it will allow me to produce a lot of quality ammo in a short time.

I will continue to use my LCT and my Lee Single stage press but the main press will be the Hornady!
Old November 7, 2010, 12:40 AM   #55
NWPilgrim

XFire, I know what you mean. Just as I like to try different cartridges, loadings and firearms I would enjoy trying other presses and dies.

I just think it is silly when folks badmouth a tool because they can't pull the handle the full length. Especially when you can shorten the handle as much as you want to make it even quicker, such as for pistol cases.

I get the Dillon catalog because I bought their primer pocket swager, and I can imagine how robust their machines are. But for $500 I can buy 8 lbs of Varget, 2,000 .224" bullets, 2,000 CCI SP primers, a new Sierra manual, and another pair of electronic ear muffs.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old November 7, 2010, 12:46 AM   #56
Mike Irwin
Staff

One other comment re: "four pulls of the handle for one cartridge."

That's true of ANY press. If you were loading a single cartridge on a progressive, you'd have to stroke the handle four times to get a single loaded cartridge (if you're using a 4-die set up).

The only difference between the LCT and a true progressive is that with the progressive you have other shells in the ram at various points in the reloading process. But you still have to stroke that handle four times for each loaded cartridge.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 7, 2010, 01:16 AM   #57
Lost Sheep

Thanks, Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
Quote:
Resale value? I found it quite impossible to find a Classic Turret on the used market at any price.
Could it be that you're the only one who has sold one? Everyone else likes theirs so much they're not gonna sell them? JUST KIDDING!
I think you may misunderstand. I just purchased mine and have no intention of ever selling.
Quote:
I've used mine for over a year. My experience is that moving from a single stage to a turret doubled my production. Maybe tripled. A progressive would probably double or triple production again?
Moving between my single stage and my turret doubles my production rate. Moving from my Pro-1000 to my newly purchased Classic Turret resulted in no decrease. Truly, as you stated, "The LCT is a mid-point (or somewhere around there) between a single stage and a progressive."

That said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyFN
That's the problem. Most people want to compare the classic turret to a progressive and it's not a progressive.
I would seek to make that comparison. I would opine that the LCT is the most progressive (as in advanced, improved, etc) turret. So much so that is very nearly a progressive.

LIke a progressive, it does better in a pass-through mode as opposed to batch mode. Other turrets are easier to use like a quick-change single stage. The LCT is uniquely able to bridge the gap between single stage and progressive.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; November 7, 2010 at 01:38 AM.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:20 AM   #58
CrustyFN

Quote:
I would seek to make that comparison. I would opine that the LCT is the most progressive (as in advanced, improved, etc) turret. So much so that is very nearly a progressive.

LIke a progressive, it does better in a pass-through mode as opposed to batch mode. Other turrets are easier to use like a quick-change single stage. The LCT is uniquely able to bridge the gap between single stage and progressive.
I see. To me a progressive has a shell plate and does multiple functions with one handle pull. The classic turret has a shell holder and does one function per handle pull. That's why I don't see it as a progressive. Otherwise you could say the Redding T-7 and Lyman turret are also progressives.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:00 AM   #59
Toddco

lee classic turret press

After reading this post it seems that general consensus is the Lee is an affordable decently built turret press. I have one question, with this press does the turret turn with each stroke of the lever?
Old November 7, 2010, 10:08 AM   #60
mikejonestkd

Yes it turns one fourth of a complete rotation with each stroke of the lever.

Here's two videos of it in action from ammosmith:

Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM54KBOf4IY

Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRn_twi9B0g

I have had mine set up only one day and I am already completely out of reloading components...COMPLETELY out of components....I feel like Burt Gummer from " Tremors II "....LOL

My son is now mad that we have to go get more brass and bullets - we must have loaded 800+ rounds yesterday between 4 calibers and the press is fantastic!!!

Last edited by mikejonestkd; November 7, 2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:13 AM   #61
TXGunNut

I agree, Crusty. Single stage, turret and progressives are different and each type has its advantages/disadvantages. I wish I had room for the LCT between my green press and my blue press. Batch reloading has met my needs for years but I can see situations where a turret may be better than either a single stage or a progressive. Not everyone has the mechanical aptitude or need to make a progressive press work for them, fewer people need the volume of ammo it can produce. When I was using my blue press on a regular (too regular! ) basis the best dies for it came in blue boxes and to minimize fuss each cartridge needed a dedicated powder measure in addition to the dies, die holder and shellholder plate. Few shooters can justify that expense. When I was using it and it was running right it was a fantastic piece of equipment, still is.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old November 7, 2010, 12:30 PM   #62
CrustyFN

TXGunNut I agree. I wish I shot enough volume to justify buying a progressive. I have loaded on a friends Dillon 550, very nice press. Another friend has a 650 I need to go try and he just bought a Super 1050.
Old November 7, 2010, 02:08 PM   #63
rwilson452

The LCT comes with a auto indexing rod. so yes the turret turns with each stroke. it's simple to remove the indexing rod. then it doesn't rotate automagicly'

Quote:
After reading this post it seems that general consensus is the Lee is an affordable decently built turret press. I have one question, with this press does the turret turn with each stroke of the lever?
Old November 7, 2010, 07:38 PM   #64
Dave R

Quote:
to minimize fuss each cartridge needed a dedicated powder measure in addition to the dies, die holder and shellholder plate. Few shooters can justify that expense. When I was using it and it was running right it was a fantastic piece of equipment, still is.
That's the thing with the LCT--the expense to have a dedicated setup for each caliber is minimal. $12 for a turret, and $30-$40 for a deidcated powder measure (autodisk or autodisk pro) that you can keep pre-set for that caliber,and keep attached to the dies.

So given dies (which you need for any press) the incremental cost to have a ready-to-go setup for each caliber is $42-$50.

With that setup, the LCT is really productive for small batches of multiple calibers. I believe that you could load 50 each of 4 different calibers faster on the LCT than any other setup. Swap turret, add powder (change primer from small to large if necessary) and start pulling the handle.