The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 20, 2008, 01:02 PM   #26
GPossenti

If you're looking for a quiet hunting tool, a slingshot may be a good substitute for a .22. It can even shoot rocks if you run out of ball bearings.
Old October 20, 2008, 01:06 PM   #27
Creature

Quote:
I think a lot of people are missing the best use of a BOB type set up. It is not for when you have to flee your home but for when you are already out and about. It would be wise to look at them as "survival bags" and not "bug out bags."
Good point.
Old October 20, 2008, 02:15 PM   #28
grymster2007

Quote:
your post reads like the ones i was reading out of new orleans right before katrina lol
OK, you've convinced me. I'm packing up and moving to a concrete bunker in Northern Saskatchewan. My family (probably including my wife) will be here in the Bay Area, I won't have a job, I'll be cold and it will be dark in there.... but I'll be safe!
Old October 20, 2008, 05:17 PM   #29
alligator94

I am surprised that no one has any cash in their kits. Very few people carry cash around, and if the electricity is off good luck putting anything on credit/debit cards.
Old October 20, 2008, 11:22 PM   #30
TecRsq

Superhouse 15 wrote: "Second, if it is truly the end of civilization around you, might be time to consider what the local PD or SO carry."

I agree and my bag is geared toward that area, my GLOCK 23 will be my pistol and within the bag will be a couple of G19 Mags along with a Lone Wolf conversion barrel in 9mm. The 40 and the 9 seem to be the most prevalent calibers and I will be making the most of that availability when my feet hit the ground running to my Bug Out Locations.

Edited to add: My J Frame 360 will also be in a pocket for the deep concealment times.
Old October 21, 2008, 12:18 AM   #31
guntotin_fool

Smaug, your header lists northern Illinois as your location, now go look at how many large industrial plants are near you that have hazardous chemicals, and how many rail road tracks and highways that run past your home or near enough up wind that a major issue MIGHT occur where you were being forced from your home on man made reasons. Look at nuke power plants too.

This is what scares a lot of people., not just a tornado or hurricane, but lets say Terrorists manage to detonate a bomb on a barge on the mississippi carrying some chemical that goes airborne? or some engineer on the RR falls asleep or is busy texting his GF and drives his 110 rail cars of chlorine, propane and phosphates into a stalled commuter. Getting pushed out of your home is really a lot more likely from something like this than most people who live on the coasts are getting hit with a storm.
Old October 21, 2008, 11:28 AM   #32
chrisp0410

Hmmm, I see that folks have all kinds of ideas and reasons for BOBs. In my military days, it was a small bag that contained the essential items to help you survive with no support for up to 48 hours when extraction can be made.

In my content civilian life now, I do not have a specific BOB anymore, however I have the content I would need all located within or around my gunsafe.

A couple of items I didn't see mentioned or missed are:
  • Passport
  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security Card
  • Insurance Papers
  • Deeds and car titles
  • List of all Bank and Credit Accounts, Mortgage accounts, 401K info, Pension info.
  • Will and Living Will papers
  • Known family and friends contact information
  • a Compass

I keep all the paperwork items in an accordian file, inside a waterproof container, inside my gunsafe. This is as much so my family can know where all my documents are in case I leave this earth as it is for any kind of bug out plan. If the situation arises where you are potentially leaving for good, you better have the documentation to rebuild your life after the crisis subsides.

After that, I would base any additional items upon the crisis at hand.

Chrisp0410
Old October 21, 2008, 12:27 PM   #33
ƒORTE

Alligator94 and chrisp0410 have made valid points regarding monies and personal documentation. In addition, I would bring my wit, guile, and Southern charm. Also no one has mentioned the bartering system, still in use around the world. In a true crises, forms of it may even surface in the U.S.
Old October 21, 2008, 05:36 PM   #34
rogertc1

Don't forget a towel!!!!!!!!!!!!

The world will end Nov 4 2008!!
Old October 21, 2008, 06:40 PM   #35
jhenry

I have my carry piece, Glock 23 with 4 topped off magazines at all times. My dedicated BOB pistol at this point is a 1968 manufactured Ruger Standard Model .22, for the younger crew here it is Bill Rugers first product. Same O as the Mark II or Mark III except the bolt won't hold open after the last shot, there is no loaded chamber indicator, and it has the heal release. Short skinny tube with fixed irons. The Government Models I have had certainly had a better out of the box trigger but this one has been tuned. A very good friend gifted it to me. Matte refinish, hot blue. I have been astonished at the level of accuracy and the ease of hitting what I aim at. A bull barrel model may be a better choice for some but I have become so infatuated with the "hittability" of this piece and the weight savings that I see no need. Love the pistol.

I have it in the bag in a rug right now. I need to make a full flap holster for it that secures inside the bag, and can be released for attachment on the belt. I may well do that with a velcro patch. Fuzzy on the holster, loops in the bag. Standard type attachment for the belt. 200 rounds of it's prefered ammo in CCI Mini Mag plastic containers.
Old October 21, 2008, 07:13 PM   #36
dabigguns357

bob consists of,
1/ 3 days of clothing
2/ small survival kit/pocket knife,matches,cotten balls(to make fire),fishing tools(hooks,sinkers,line,)and anything else i can think of.
3/ ammo for at least 2 handguns.
4/ mre's sterno cans small canned food
5/ thermal blanket
6/ sowing kit(stitches and torn clothing)
7/hand soap
8/ rope 100 feet long
9/hand cranking flashlight.
10/firstaid kit
11/bungee cords
12/sleeping bag lashed to underside
13/hand held radios for close range
14/extra batteries
15/small roll of plastic to gather water.
16/fork and spoon set for camping and a good filet knife(many uses)
17/ windproof lighter and micro torch
18/ small umbrella
most of these things stay in my bob,heck even my wife will have her own bob consisting of what ever i can't carry like coats,baby cloths baby food,her cloths and women stuff
Old October 21, 2008, 07:34 PM   #37
freakintoguns

what do most of you guys use as a BOB? im thinking a framed Backpack that can carry a tent and sleeping bag.
Old October 21, 2008, 07:38 PM   #38
Matt19

A surplus army duffel bag if nothing else. You might have to improvise and adapt.
Old October 21, 2008, 07:42 PM   #39
jhenry

It depends really on the needs of the indivdual. A BOB for someone on a remote homestead in the Cascades is by necessity going to be quite different from a BOB for an urban office worker in central LA. The possible contingencies are different and the problems likely to be encountered are different. A BOB is a smallish pack with enough of whatever a guy needs to 'bug out' and get to wherever he has decided safety will be. It may or may not need to contain wilderness survival gear. So, to answer the question, a full size internal or external frame backpack may be just the ticket for you, depends on what you forsee the problem being and how you plan to handle it.

My best advice to you is to keep it simple, keep it light in weight whenever possible, keep it unobtrusive, and keep it handy.
Old October 21, 2008, 08:13 PM   #40
dabigguns357

a framed bacpack is exactly what we have,but haven't thought about a tent.If forced to leave and allowed to drive,there will be much more that goes.If forced to set out without car then we use our bicycles.it would be to slow walking with a baby in a stroller and to dangerous.By the way i keep these packs in the trunk of my car,again minus a few things.I do this in case of a house fire,which is a big reason to even have a day pack.
Old October 21, 2008, 09:27 PM   #41
kpbeckel

IMO people on this thread have mentioned most of the essentials, but the few things I didn't see mentioned that I believe are a must are the following:
1) A good size tarp or two.
2) Socks, socks and socks.
3) Good pair of boots in case needed.
4) CELL PHONE w/extra charged batteries.
5) SOAP (do you want to stay dirty and get sick?)
6) Multi-tool w/ nails/screws....
7) Beer....makes things easier....
Old October 22, 2008, 08:52 AM   #42
pinetree

For me it would be my Taurus M66, a 7 shot 357/38 in stainless. I CCW a snubby 38 so I would have two guns, one caliber. I mostly shoot 38spcl in 66 and have a good supply of +p. The 357s are more for the woods carry.

But seriously, if I have to bug out - I'm loading for shtf. M1 carbine, multiple 22's, 12g, 30-06 and an 8mm (I have a couple thousand rounds). I would mostly bug-in.
Old October 22, 2008, 10:58 AM   #43
freakintoguns

i was thinking about a cell phone, but im figurign if im bugging out on foot and not in my SUV its Armageddon and Cell phones are gonna eb completly useless other then to entertain myself with tetris.
Old October 22, 2008, 11:45 AM   #44
chrisp0410

As my second post to this thread, I'll agree wholeheartedly with the person who stated that the needs of someone rural and the need of an urban office dweller are completely different things.

That said, some of these bags sound more like "Bug Out Buicks" rather than Bug Out Bags! Really, when I read, I'm packing a Glock-whatever with ten loaded magazines, an S&W 500 with five boxes of ammo, a case of MREs, canned soup, fishing pole and tackle box, bayonet, snap-on took box, saw-z-all, hand grenades, C4, a flare gun, fix-a-flat, Dillon XL-650 with 8 sets of dies, powders, bullets and primers, one bandaid, a picture of Natalie Portman, a .416 Rigby, my pillow, a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 year, moleskin, pork rinds, epsom salt, condoms and a Port-a-Potty, I think (WOW!) that is some bag.

I don't see much bugging out going on with a list like that! Not to offend anyone but some of these posts sound more like flights of fancy than thought-out necessity. But it is fun, all the same. Enjoy.

Chrisp0410
Old October 22, 2008, 12:21 PM   #45
David Armstrong

Quote:
A BOB is a smallish pack with enough of whatever a guy needs to 'bug out' and get to wherever he has decided safety will be
And that goes with what Chrisp just said. Folks, there is a difference between a BOB and a survival pack. Lots of this stuff that is being listed need to be stored someplace, not carried with you. If your BOB has more than the minimum needed for you to get by for 3 days, it is probably getting beyond the BOB limits.
Old October 22, 2008, 02:50 PM   #46
GPossenti

Problem Solved

My brother sent me this link from Smith & Wesson.

Old October 22, 2008, 03:09 PM   #47
ƒORTE

One person,one week in October in Alabama...NOT long-term survival elsewhere.
Take into consideration the 4 human imperatives and go from there...

FEED
8 Snickers
10 bags Ramen
2ltrs of potable water(refillable)
One Large SS camping cup
Polar Pure

FIGHT
A good knife(always on my person)
My USP.45c and 3 full mags

FLEE
Merrell day hiker shoes
Mini field scope

and FORNICATE.
Box of Condoms(hey you never know, plus they can double as water bladders)

Other considerations...
Doctor's first aid kit(thanks sis)
Meds(if you or others need 'em)
DOP kit
Personal Documentation OTHER than contents of wallet(personal Med info,Passport)
Northface Water/windbreaker(lots of pockets and compass on zipper)
Blast match or Swedish Firesteel
Magnesium block
Change of clothes/Extra socks
Cell phone w/ car and wind up charger thingy(yes they do exist)
Sunglasses
Cap
Small LED flashlight
50ft lashing
8'x8' tarp

And am about to purchase a bag from Wilderness Tactical...

Last edited by ƒORTE; October 22, 2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old October 22, 2008, 05:26 PM   #48
ronin308

I only keep a mini-BOB currently. It would take less than 15 minutes to stock a full size one. The mini is stocked with:

-G19 mag w/ 124 gr. Gold Dots x 3
-M1A mag w/ 147 gr. FMJ South African surplus x 2
-Small tube of CLP
-Swedish Firesteel
-Tinder
-Silva compass
-Nalgene
-Water purification tabs
-Handkerchief
-Contractor trash bag x 2
-Hand sanitizer
-3600 kCal rations x 2
-Vacuum sealed dog food x 2
-Spare leash
-An "adapt and overcome" mentality
Old October 23, 2008, 02:09 PM   #49
El Paso Joe

This was a good post... Set me to thinking. It had been ten years since I had really gone through my BOB. Actually, it is a tote that lived in the back of a SUV when I lived in NE WA State (about 10 mi from the Canadian Border). I need to reassess and repack it (since I don't live there anymore). And replace the batteries that went out of date in 2004

I really felt like I had already bugged out when I lived there - the question then was mostly one of defense against the urbanites who bugged out and came up there thinking they could just drive in from the city and be "bugged out."

The gun in the BOB was my #1 utility gun then and now; a 6" M19 S&W and several boxes of 145 grain Silvertips. I don't think that will change.
Old October 23, 2008, 02:38 PM   #50
freakintoguns

so, i was at Sportsman warehouse last ntie checking out some of their huntig backpacks and noticed some of the had spots to carry your rifle and bow and arrows, supposing the bugging out were talking about is fall of government, end of days type stuff, how many of you would opt to carry abow and arrow to hunt with?
Closed Thread