The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 22, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

Trigger Movement vs. Weight Graph?

Has anyone ever seen graphs published that show trigger displacement along the horizontal axis, and pull weight along the vertical axis?

It wouldn't be hard to measure, and I think it would provide a way to visually display and compare the different characteristics of a trigger pull that we spend so much time talking about, like "take-up", "creep", "gritty", "stacking", "crisp", "overtravel", etc.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:22 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I've seen graphs like that, but only a very few.

I like the idea a lot, it's certainly true that the "character" of a trigger is often far more important than the actual pull weight.

The problem is that until enough people start doing it, the comparison value of the graphs is very limited.

What's irritating is that it's extremely likely that all of the big name manufacturers make charts like this for their own use but almost never release them.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

While it might not be overly difficult to measure for a double action revolver, with long trigger pull, for a 1911 there is about 1/16" of initial take-up, with almost zero pull weight, and then the actual trigger pull takes up only a couple of hundredths of an inch. I think it would be impossible to measure and chart a 1911 trigger without some very sophisticated equipment.
Old March 23, 2013, 12:42 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Walther put out trigger travel vs load graphs for the different variants of the P99, otherwise I haven't seen anything.

Some years ago there was a device advertised to make that type of measurement, but I never saw one, nor results listed anywhere.

There is one shop that advertises trigger work in terms of "mechanical energy," the trigger travel times the weight of pull.